Cheap oil filters

I've recently changed my oil and oil filter, and notice that when i start my engine in the morning oil light stays on couple of seconds after the engine starts which it did not before with the old filter, this has happened to me once before and a BOSCH filter cured it, has anyone had similar experience.

Yup - cheap filters either have crap anti-drain back valves that don't work, or they simply don't have them.

I learned on my old Subaru the exact thing, always went with the black OEM series oil filters after that and startups were silent.

For my Peugeot I only try to use Purflux.

Rabin

Yes Rabin i also suspect the anti-drain back valve that don't work i have had bad experience with Purflux original for peugeot from the main dealer with the peugeot badge printed on it, first one leaked had a crack, the dealer replace it but charged me for the oil, a week later checking the oil is low and the radiator is oily, again leaking, the dealer said the oil cooler is cracked and is not economical to replace it will cost 400 euros, took it home clean it and found a crack in the top of the filter, and never again used Purflux and Fram, best for me is Bosch and Mann filters.

Bosch, Mahle, Mann, and the top line Wix filters are all very good as well.  I've never had a problem with Purflux, and since they're OEM for Peugeot I just stocked up on them.  I will check them more thoroughly next time I install one though just in case.

Btw: I was helping to do an oil change on an 89' Lotus Esprit and he was installing a Fram filter.  I mentioned only using good filters like Purflux on my Peugeot - Turns out OEM Ferrari filters are Purflux as well. :)

Rabin

• 1 month later...

I decided not to wait for the next oil change, but to replace the filter now, with only few hundred km on it, just the thought every startup all the bearings are dry even the turbocharger is dry and i live in a hilly area and on cold mornings i have to apply lots of power to get the almost 2 tone car up my street, with a empty filter i do not want to starve the engine of oil. i decided to investigate, i change the non brand filter with a Hengst H90W23, first time im using the 23 before i've use the H90W13 and haven't had any probelms. When i remove the non brand filter from my car it was completely empty so much so that i had to get little oil from the dip stick to put on the rubber seal, it also dented very easily from the filter wrench thin steel, took it in the garage and decided to cut it open and a few more that i had laying around.The meca filter has 6500 km on it and the drain back rubber is soft and conforms nicely to the base plate, the bypass valve is all metal, nice filter, next was Hengst H90W13 this one has 7000 km on it and the drain back rubber is white and very soft by far the best of all the others, last i cut the non brand one, first thing the others made a mess because they had oil in them this one was bone dry, the drain back rubber was hard and the base plate was rough, it was made badly and it did not seal,

DSC_0002JPG.jpg

DSC_0006JPG.jpg