New 405 Owner - US

lCZTf8h.jpg

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Sorrento Pearl Green 91 Mi16, 155k mi. I have a few questions about the car:

1. Where should I go to buy parts? I need an AC compressor, driver side window regulator, and fog lamps.

2. There is a medium sized oil leak dripping down onto the oil pan. I was thinking it was the oil filter, but it still leaks with the new one. Where could it be coming from?

3. Any maintanence I should do immediately? I went through the ownership history, and the timing belt was done at 129k

4. I'm planning to upgrade the stock wheels. What diameter lugs do I need to buy?

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the forum, for where to buy the parts i can't help you, the leak can be coming from the oil cooler there's a o'ring between the cooler and the engine block start their, for maintenance u should do the usual checks: axle boots, steering rack boots, suspensions bushings, ball joints, rod ends, then there are some some specific for  the 405: park the car level, pull the drivers side front wheel liner that gives you acces to the gearbox fil plug it is the bigger bolt next to the steel cover, unbolt the bolt and oil shut dribble out if is at the correct level and you can check it by color and smell, next thing to check is the rear beam (rear axle) you should check if the previous owner has install grease nipples, if not you should install and grease it regularly, the weakest thing in the 405 is the rear beam bearings. Wheel bolts are M12x1.25 tread, please attach some pictures.

welcome! please post pics ASAP! :)

as for where to buy parts -- check on the main page of the forum, we have some vendors listed who are very good, especially for peugeot-specific stuff like the window regulator.

for a generic part like an AC compressor, you could also try ebay or rock auto; in both cases, you'll want to cross check the part numbers to make sure you're getting the right item.

for the fog lights -- do you just need the lights, or do you also need the plastic trim pieces that go around them in the bumper? the lights themselves were used in several peugeot models of the time (205, 309 and 405) so you can find decent used and sometimes NOS on the european ebays (france, germany, UK) and sometimes on US ebay...the plastic trims are different, they are US-specific so your best bet is finding some good used ones from one of our vendors. i recently got NOS left and right US foglight kits, they were very expensive and the guy i got them from doesn't have any more new ones, he may have some good used ones. i will pm you his contact info.

PCD is 4 x 108, offset is 10mm i think (savo knows the exact amount) which is kinda unusual (welcome to peugeot ownership! :)) so be sure to take that into account when you are shopping for new wheels...savo put sparco wheels on his mi16, i think he's using spacers...

andré

6 hours ago, Goce said:

Welcome to the forum, for where to buy the parts i can't help you, the leak can be coming from the oil cooler there's a o'ring between the cooler and the engine block start their, for maintenance u should do the usual checks: axle boots, steering rack boots, suspensions bushings, ball joints, rod ends, then there are some some specific for  the 405: park the car level, pull the drivers side front wheel liner that gives you acces to the gearbox fil plug it is the bigger bolt next to the steel cover, unbolt the bolt and oil shut dribble out if is at the correct level and you can check it by color and smell, next thing to check is the rear beam (rear axle) you should check if the previous owner has install grease nipples, if not you should install and grease it regularly, the weakest thing in the 405 is the rear beam bearings. Wheel bolts are M12x1.25 tread, please attach some pictures.

What smell and color should it be? And sorry, updated first post with an image I took minutes after I bought it!

2 hours ago, andrethx said:

welcome! please post pics ASAP! :)

as for where to buy parts -- check on the main page of the forum, we have some vendors listed who are very good, especially for peugeot-specific stuff like the window regulator.

for a generic part like an AC compressor, you could also try ebay or rock auto; in both cases, you'll want to cross check the part numbers to make sure you're getting the right item.

for the fog lights -- do you just need the lights, or do you also need the plastic trim pieces that go around them in the bumper? the lights themselves were used in several peugeot models of the time (205, 309 and 405) so you can find decent used and sometimes NOS on the european ebays (france, germany, UK) and sometimes on US ebay...the plastic trims are different, they are US-specific so your best bet is finding some good used ones from one of our vendors. i recently got NOS left and right US foglight kits, they were very expensive and the guy i got them from doesn't have any more new ones, he may have some good used ones. i will pm you his contact info.

PCD is 4 x 108, offset is 10mm i think (savo knows the exact amount) which is kinda unusual (welcome to peugeot ownership! :)) so be sure to take that into account when you are shopping for new wheels...savo put sparco wheels on his mi16, i think he's using spacers...

andré

Thanks for the help and pm. For fog lights, I need the lenses as they are cracked. The drivers side bulb keeps blowing out because water is getting in. Also the stock wheel specs I found were:

Wheel: 14x5.5, Hub bore: 65.1mm, offset: +24mm. I plan on upgrading to 16x8 with a +25mm offset, which I have already located in 4x108

Car goes to the shop on Tuesday, so I'll update you guys then!

Actually on 405 wheel offset is 15-20mm depending on year and model. Lug bolts are 12x1.25mm

Timing belt replacment is  strongly recommended at 30.000 miles and do your self a favor and folow it. If you don't these engines like to snap off timing belt and bent all 16 valves. This would be a $2000 job.

These engines are using Bosch Motronic 3.1 fuel injection system just like BMW's Volvo,VW and other vehicles of this era. Napa has pretty much all you need you just need to ask right questions.

Also Jürgen is great with Peugeot parts and I personally have bought a thousands dollars worth of parts from him.

In US Sorento Green was only available in 91,same model year came with 15" wheels and wheels on your car are 89-90 14" wheels.

Anything else you would like to know?

3 hours ago, YuZi92 said:

What smell and color should it be?

The gearbox oil should be dark yellow in color, not brown or gray, the smell shud be oil only, no burn smell or metallic smell if any of those above change it is cheap and easy.

Fog lights can also be found on 306, Citroën AX, BX, CX, Jumper/Boxer/Ducato and also Fiat Seicento but not the 205.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-NEBELSCHEINWERFER-NSW-NEBELLEUCHTE-NEBELLAMPE-H3-LINKS-RECHTS-FIAT-SEICENTO-/301274917539?fits=Make%3AFiat|Model%3ASeicento&hash=item4625626aa3:g:s7UAAOSw8-tWUHlc

Just don't buy Valeo ones as they can't fit the originals plastic trims.