505 STX Misc Questions

Leregulage

Hi Andre,

yeah it was sitting for awhile. Though thank is squeaky clean.  I wish it was simple as a clogged fuel system. B)

I have a fuse panel on the way. Maybe that will solve most of the flaky electric issues.  Besides that, then its the harness at fault. Has to be one or the other-at least for the rest of the problems.

For what ever reason the injectors are not getting a signal to fire from the ECU, all those wires test just fine.  I've read that about the euro ecu's. Would like to get a set of ecu's.

Took a few days off of playing with it.

Always found that one is closest to the answer,when it seems the farthest away.

Adam.  

Yeah that sensor is new, and it tells the ignition to fire.  With the newer fuse panel in, its no better-or worse. 

Found in playing with it the TPS is bad, had a good spare though. Short of the knock sensors keeping the car from starting(I don't think they can?), its in the wiring -or the ecu.

Has anybody had luck with using the ecu's from the Volvo 2.8L?  I know it would fit, but if it would be more, or less power is the question.  I doubt its the exact same boxes with a different bosch number is it?

Another box will be bought soon.

Adam.

I'm Baaack! 

Just had to do that.. 

Found a 88 Volvo 760 injection box for a really great price. Figured it would be worth the gamble.  With simply installing it. 

IT LIVES AGAIN! :o

Swapped the chip from the STX box to it, sounds very nice now.  The boxes use the same exact board, connectors-etc. Just the mapping chips are 1 # off.

All of the screwy things I mentioned about the relays went away.  Enjoy the Video, and Misc. pictures.

Adam.

https://youtu.be/KZ818xZWgKM

If one were to get a eprom programer, and a set of Euro boxes. Then everyone could easily have the extra HP by swapping a chip..

WP_20160416_002.jpg

WP_20160416_003.jpg

WP_20160416_004.jpg

WP_20160416_005.jpg

WP_20160416_007.jpg

Great work Adam!  Absolutely love how tenacious you were on finding a solution, and I'm genuinely shocked it was just the ecu...  

My brother Arun is in Charlottesville and he does have the euro v6 computers - So that could be a future project.

Rabin

You guys may be happy to know it now can move it self safely. Even has brakes on 3 of the 4 wheels too! ;)

https://youtu.be/O2JbI0vSycs

Karl, that trans feels smooth. I think it is in fine condition.  Swapped in a new master cylinder. The old one had shat it self and leaked every where. This is the time I'm so glad it has the regular booster... Now thinking about the 85 505's in your driveway-master cylinder wise.

Might be time to change yours!:o  Really easy to do... 

Next on the agenda is to fix that fuel leak. Find out why the variable assist steering is doing nothing. Make different temp air blow out the ducts. A horn to go beep. Rebuild the calipers.  Some new fuel regulator hoses just came in from Sweden a few days ago.

The temp gauge is limp at the moment. The sunroof makes a nice CRUNCH when trying to move. 

On a side note, what is the little black ball, up near the front dome light? Is it just for looks? 

Adam.

I used one of the bulbs from the cluster-to ask that ecu. At best It gave me one flash. Honestly, it acted more like a short. Tested the whole box, and circuit. So either the box, and or the servo is shot,, Now when the car was having those random shorts-I heard the servo running. So I unhooked it. 

Anyway the idle is finally down to a great level. The IAC valve was fried.   She now has new injectors,fuel pump,filter, regulator,and 2 hoses attached to the regulator. Had to wait a month on those 2 from Sweden.  It has a low idle miss. from 700-1200rpm. Then it clears out-past that range.

Now that could be the Volvo box? Or the plug wires,coil-ignitor.  Has new plugs.   Probably a valve adjustment would do wonders! 

It starts with a roar-right to 1800rpm. Then comes down over 30 seconds to base idle. 

Looks like the main feed line from the fuel tank is bad. Its in between 3/8-1/2 inch hose. So like a 11mm id?

This tank has no primer pump spot, just two hoses on the lower drivers side.

The old pump had a crap load of metal shavings in it. The filter did it's job!B)  Used a Volvo 245 pump. Bosch only of course. It had some push on type connector pins. So a 4mm die, threaded those baby's nicely. 

Replaced the bullet hole light lense.

Also since it was/ is a ABS car. Are they ATE, or Bendix calipers?  I'm getting some rebuild kits. My passenger front caliper has the bleeder cracked off. Might not be able to save it...  Oh the joys of brake work.

Adam. 

Popped a valve cover off today. For a lack of better words "It's squeaky clean!"  :P

Been a long time since the valves were touched. The gap shows it... Now its off to find some gaskets that fit...

Enjoy some misc. pictures.

Those new hoses, took a month from Sweden. It seems nobody ever has them stateside. 

Adam.

WP_20160421_007.jpg

WP_20160421_008.jpg

WP_20160421_009.jpg

WP_20160421_010.jpg

WP_20160421_012.jpg

WP_20160421_015.jpg

WP_20160421_016.jpg

• 3 months later...

We took the plunge today. She is now on the road! ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu

Puttered around about 30 miles.  

I have to say, " It's way better than it should be!".

Drives perfect, the brakes bedded in. Now stops well. 
Even rides decent.   Trans shifts just perfect. Doesn't overheat(well no temp gauge, but oil temp was perfect).

There are still some issues..   

From just off idle, it will almost die. If one hits the pedal quick, then that works well. 

I put the wheel back on a bit cocked, easy enough to fix!

The trip meter doesn't move

Speedo has the shakes(she needs a lubing).

No working radio

Tackle the AC....

Since I have never been in another V6 505, it seems some more adjusting is in order.   Now it is quick, but not fast.. Thats the only way to explain it!     

The HVAC fan is always on, with a whisper of air.  

That F-&^%ing power steering keeps acting up.  We flushed it, but it twasn't enough.  Might need a pump rebuild.  I'm hoping driving it awhile will free it up.  

So all in all, it makes the last few months of torture worth it.   After we drive off 1-2 tank fulls of gas, and it has no more-or worse issues. 

It will be in a for sale listing near you! 

Between this, a Citroen cx, Mercedes diesel, 505 Turbo diesel,parting out the 403 and keeping all of the other stuff going. It is just too much.  Nobody else will drive my crap, so how many machines does one need? ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu

If we get it adjusted right, I'll report with my findings.

Adam.