New URL naming contest!

Bean

Hi everyone,

With the site's latest upgrades, and the obvious move away from this site just being about a single model of Peugeot - I think it's time to figure out a new URL for the site!

What I propose is that we just make suggestions and then we pick something that represents the forums focus.  This could even include renaming the site if something truly special is suggested!

My contribution:  www.peugiasts.com  (Abbreviated version of the forum name, and a bit of a play on the word Pugilist!)

Please feel free to chime in with any of your suggestions and we'll see if we can find something cool to rename the forum to.  

Rabin

rabin and i discussed this offline a few days ago, and i told him that my wife's suggestion was "peugeoters.com" so if you don't like "peugiasts.com," just know that there are names out there that are much, much worse. :)

so after thinking about this for a few days, what if we changed the name of the site to peugeot club of north america and changed the site url to canampug.com (available). short, easy to remember...we could talk to the facebook group admins (are you guys reading this?) about synching up the logos/identity...i would love to have a sticker for my car...

My only concern is the site has a fair number of members all over the world - so I'd like it to have a universal name - make it about the brand and not location specific.  In fact - being global was what drove me to do the vehicle registry changes to break down entries my geographic location so that we could draw more cool entries.

That's my take on it...  But CanAmPug.com does sound pretty cool!  Tough decision - so I'd love to hear what others think and suggest...

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite so far is canampug.com...  Mostly 'cause I LOVE CanAm racing cars, so it sounds more race car related than Canada & America related. Also has a nice ring to it, and it's short. :)

Rabin

just a few thoughts about the name CanAmPug -- while i like the idea (in the abstract) of having a sort of "universal" name like "peugeot enthusiasts group," the reality is that every internet forum out there for a given car make has some sort of geographic (usually national) base...CanAmPug describes a very specific reality that we face here with respect to our chosen make of cars. the problem with a name like peugeotUS is that it ignores our friends in Canada, who have nearly the same history as US peugeot enthusiasts and thus have identical interests and concerns at this point...we really need to stick together since there are so few of us! this is also why any kind of name that features "north american" rings a bit false, since our friends in Mexico can still buy new peugeots!

i certainly don't want to exclude anyone, we can use all of the friends we can get. :) but i do think that the name should be descriptive, and the fact that CanAmPug is short and easy to remember, as well as makes a callback to the race cars, is nice in that regard...

andré

• 4 weeks later...

I like CanAmPug, universal enough to create this platform and continue to use " Peugeot Enthusiasts Group"

While 505turbo.com is our resource for technical information and personal builds, our FB group page is simply a in your face medium that scrolls by like ticker tape. Capturing any thing there for later reference is nearly impossible!

If the two sites can be merged to sync all the better!

Andre', synchronizing up the logos/identity is a great idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've always avoided using 'Peugeot' in the name out of concern over rights and such of the name.  

If that's not a concern then using the full name is a possibility, although it does make it quite a bit longer.  Is there a short form you like instead?  Or maybe a bastardization like pujo? :)

Rabin

Using the name is OK if you are a club for a marque.  They wouldn't care at all, I guarantee it.  

We call the smart club "Clubsmartcar" and use their logo and an effigy of the 450 model.  We got an email from M-B Canada saying it is OK.  If you are worried, send an email to Peugeot stating that you want to register the URL of CanAmPeugeot.com for a Canadian and American Peugeot club, they won't care at all.  Or just do it, and they won't care either.  Every European club uses Peugeot in their club names and URLs.

• 1 month later...

CanAm-Peugeot.com has been registered... :)  Added the dash since it's not case sensitive, and canampeugeot.com didn't look as nice.

Now I need to get it to point to the website, and we can then start communicating the change via Facebook and the Peugeot-L yahoo group.

Thanks for the feedback, and apologies it took so long. :)

Rabin

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys - I've been working on the plan to change the URL, but it's turning out much more complicated since I'm using a content management system that's also integrated into the URL.  So all internal and external links to the site are a concern if I don't do the change properly.

Not being a web guy it's slow going, and unfortunately support from the host as well as IPS hasn't been as concise as I was hoping.  It'll happen - but I want to make sure I do the least amount of disruption when I make the changes.

Thanks,

Rabin

• 4 months later...

Some discussion on Peugeot-L prompted a new look at the migration to the new domain - so I looked into it and I now have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done (Thanks to August MacBeth for the help) - so I'm going to do some more due diligence with forum software support, and my ISP to see if I can get this change in place for the new year.  Hoping the transfer to the new site can be done fairly quickly and with minimal outage.

505turbo.com will stick around until it expires forwarding to the new site.

Sorry for the delay - but such is life. :)

Thanks,

Rabin