91 405Mi16x4 Rear wheel drive conversion north south engine

Goce

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I usually use the C 45 hi carbon steel, on the hex in many causes i don't treat it because its stronger than the 8.8 grade, if i need it to be stronger i can take it to a company in skopje that heat treads metals but in this cause no need for that i'll just use thicker stock, as for machining it with the power that my lathe has is easy.

That is a absolutely true SRDT, but the stuff i'm making are so far over engineered they never even came to the half yield strength of the fasteners, plus the china crap that can be bought in a hadware store is never even close to a 8.8 grade.

Today i was finally able to find to buy a M12 left tap, also bought couple of carbide inserts for the lathe, with different geometries, funny thing here is that those inserts cost more then the gearbox i've used to do this converson, more to come.

DSC_0002JPG.jpg

Today i started to work on fixing the steering on this project, as you can see the steering wheel is straight and as i lifted one side you can see the bump steer, the wheel turns a lot, for mock up i use a scrap piece of steel and duct tape and i left around one centimeter clearance between the heim joint and wheel rim, after all the dimensions i took, i made the adapters, threaded one side M12 left other side M12x1,5, and two left threaded lock bolts, also cut open a factor rod end, to be able to measure the taper angle, so i can duplicate it on the drop adapters, more to come.

DSC_0006JPG.jpg

DSC_0007JPG.jpg

DSC_0008JPG.jpg

DSC_0010JPG.jpg

DSC_0016JPG.jpg

DSC_0018JPG.jpg

DSC_0020JPG.jpg

Today was a long day working on this project, started by machining a 7 degree taper and M10 thread, wanted to make it attach fully on the taper and to make full contact on the 22 mm hex stock, this meant machining and testfiting it on the car many times, then i machined the other side, put a 30 degree taper to relieve it to have more travel on the joint, then i machined a 24 mm head bolt with M12 threads, i did this as a safety, if the ball falls of brass socket it can't completely disintegrate i also put an 90 degree taper to allow more travel on the joint, i'll grounded the edge of the bolt in place to make more space between it and the inside of the wheel, i also made two 17 mm headed M12 bolts to lock the safety bolts, tomorrow i'll install them and test them, more to come.

DSC_0002JPG.jpg

DSC_0004JPG.jpg

DSC_0007JPG.jpg

DSC_0009JPG.jpg

DSC_0011JPG.jpg

DSC_0016JPG.jpg

DSC_0021JPG.jpg

DSC_0022JPG.jpg

You got more travel but what happend when you go too far?

If you dent the brass with the steel taper the joint will become harder to rotate. I noticied that too late at work and now it's on the "do it better next time" list.

Today i was finally able to finish mounting the new tie rod ends, and they won't work, i still have massive amounts of bump steer and they hit the inside of the rim on the inside edge, so i can't turn the wheel full lock, so there is no quick fix, i'll have to put the entire car on jack stands level remove the front springs and start moving steering rack and modifying the knuckles, i like the feel of this fiat rack and it has the lowest profile posible, so i'll keep it but may need to move it forward and do something like the drifters do to there cars to get more angle, in order to not rub on the wheels and remove the bump steer, on a happier note i drove it little and gave both 405's a happy 30th birthday wash, and as always the mi16x4 started to run lean i know immediately what is, this car has always had troubles with fuel leaks, even the stainless steel braided AN6 lines had leaks, so i put this fuel rated hose, it also developed a leak and the fuel pressure dropped, i must have some acid in the fuel tank or something that eats thru rubber, more to come.

DSC_0017JPGgg.JPG

DSC_0019JPG.jpg

DSC_0023JPG.jpg

• 4 months later...

I'm embarrassed to say i've left this project sitting since my last update but that's what's has happened, it's only gathering dust, i've been really busy working 3 jobs plas all the normal house and car maintenance has left me without a minute to spare, i'm accumulating parts for it and about dazent more small and big projects i have in the works and all of them are waiting for me to finish them, more to come.

• 1 year later...

It's been year and a half since the last update and almost that long since i've driven this car. I've been working with couple of companies to get sponsored for a ECU ( programmable engine management) for this car but no luck, no one has even heard of that engine. I've been running the engine every couple of months just to keep the fluids circulating and the seals from drying. And i've bought some parts that will solve the bump steer issue and make boosting it much easier.

• 9 months later...

It's been a almost a year since last update and this write up is a bit late i did this just as the coronavirus hit china, before i got the 607 in the big garage. This project has been sitting for too long the rear suspension has leaked out all of its fluid but i still wanted to drive it to my house to give it a wash, also with the rear end flat to the floor and no rear suspension i drove it, the torsen rear diff helped and definitely locks. Gave it a 3 stage wash and drove it back in the garage, last thing i did is to cover it with some thin plastic with the windows a bit open and small cutouts in the plastic so it can breathe.

IMG_20200103_153800.thumb.jpg.324c7f045e65696034c30f4f17ab8b4b.jpg

IMG_20200103_153811.thumb.jpg.8420d220960c78c48d381ee90497703e.jpg

IMG_20200103_153829lllll.thumb.JPG.9fa48e32fd7e127cdce07a0edef65b5e.JPG

IMG_20200103_155937.thumb.jpg.f9b55362f69b89f38f5dae3e7b6472ed.jpg

IMG_20200103_160055hhhh.thumb.JPG.18be6471562ffc62ab1dc480ea2a1e0d.JPG

IMG_20200103_161721.thumb.jpg.20a1b1ab3724b690cecf8ffa0e7e2d4b.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well it's been 6 years since i've done any work on this project and 2 since i've started it. At this point i'm debating should i sell it, take it apart for parts or scrap it. I'm not getting younger and i'm having even less free time. Any suggestions?

Wow - can’t believe how time flies.  

Tough to say what you should do, and not idea what kind of market exists there for selling it, but selling it has the least time commitment!

Maybe some amateur drifter wants a very unique car to compete with?  :)  Turbo the motor and it might be a great drift car.

Rabin

It's ready for a turbo it has a intercooler, aeromotive A1000 regulator, i have a turbo and a manifold mockup, duel fuel pumps 1/2 hard line for the fuel just engine management and a tune. Market right now is 0 fuel prices have shot up car prices on small engine cars with LPG and gas guzzler like this are at the bottom. I just don't want to see it seat, i know how cars get after sitting.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...