2016 Planned upgrades

Bean

I sent out a bulk e-mail to the entire membership last night to raise awareness for some needed upgrades to the website, and to also make a request for donations.

Donation request:

I am hoping that you have found this site helpful in some way at some point, and that it has been of some value to you.  I still prefer to keep this site open to all, and a free resource for everyone, but realistically -  It still needs to be member funded.  

All I ask is that you give it some thought and click the link to contribute what you can:

PayPal DONATIONS

Note:  I have been asked to suggest a donation amount.  I would hope that at least $5 would be an agreeable amount, but more will always be appreciated!

Technical details of upgrade:

• Our forum software Invision Power Board has a major release with a complete rewrite of the code, and is now called Invision Power Services.
  • The upgrade will take us from the old IPB 3.4.6 version to the IPS 4.1.4.1.  
  • Garage has been rewritten (Collections)to be compatible, so it is time to move forward.

CHANGES:

• The fancy forum "Skin" will sadly be lost and we'll have to use the default ones for a while until I can find a suitable look.  
  • There will no longer be a username and a display name - only the display name will remain.  (I will send another email with more details on this later.)
  • There are many new features available, with apparently much better mobile browser functionality.

Why I still do it:

I still maintain a marked preference to the forum over any other social media outlet purely for it's ability to be a resource.  Being able to follow peoples progress, as well as documenting my own progress for others to see - is also great motivation. 

With the latest upgrade I want to focus on making the forum easier to use, more intuitive, with better social media integration wherever possible (i.e: be able to post here and share on FB for instance).  My hope is that with better integration of forum content into other sites, we can leverage the ease of use and superior social gathering qualities of Facebook, while maintaining the forum's documentation and discussion strengths.  

Most of all - I just really love our little community of friends, and I want to make sure we stay strong by staying connected.  Sharing knowledge and experience on keeping our cars going is almost a side benefit.   :D

Thank you very much for your time,

Best regards,

Rabin Rutten-James
Webmaster
505turbo.com

Just wanted to share a funny exchange with an ex-member that did not appreciate the mass mail out to the members of this site:

Their first reply:

Date:12-03-2015 10:17 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: Peugeot Enthusiasts Group
Subject: Re: 505turbo.com - 2016 planned upgrades
Idiots. Why don't you verify with DMV that I no longer have Peugeot.
Seriously? Deleted their account, but I had to reply thinking that no one could be that dim. I assumed it was humour:
Hopefully that's just a poor attempt at sarcasm - otherwise you have bigger problems.
Happy to delete you from the membership.
Thought that would be the last of it - but Noooo:
It's very simple. I don't have a Peugeot. Get it? No need to spam people.
Of course - Now I have to respond to keep it going!

Damn - you do have bigger problems.

You've been deleted from the forum - no e-mail will come again.

Again with the responses!

No Peugeot - NO PROBLEMS

At this point - I simply can't stop, and I have to reply :)

Your understanding of technology and how things work is your problem Jerry.

I'm used to dealing with angry technology challenged customers having worked an IT support desk for YEARS, but I always had to be cautious with responses. This time I thought I should have some fun!

Rabin

I just found out that there were a TON of e-mail errors in the console from the mass mail out - can you guys confirm that you got an e-mail?  Or did you just see it here?

And thanks for the donations so far guys!  I'm currently trying to get the registry back online - the provided instructions didn't quite cut it, and then I found out the host server needs some PHP extensions set up...  All part of the process... :)

Rabin

Thanks SRDT - I had to change some account settings and it seems to be sending OK now.  

Some people got them (see above!), but it looks like a majority did not.

Please excuse the duplication - it's just easier to send all. :)

Rabin

Hi Brenyw,

I'm just going to send out another update e-mail once I sort out the remaining technical issues.  (Vehicle Registry has issues)

Once all is OK, I'll send out another update so anyone missed should get notification of the changes, as well as the donation link directly just in case they were missed in the first round.

So far I'm quite happy with the new software - pretty slick suite of tools.  Now I just need to come up to speed with all the new changes and features.

Rabin

• Bean unpinned this topic