Hugh's 1987 505 STX V6 Project

PeugeotPilot

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a Premier engine, all right.  I recognize the valve covers.  But the induction system intrigues me.  I wonder what he did there.  I've met John in person, and I've seen his car.  In the course of our visit, however, I didn't get a chance to really examine his 504 as my time was limited.  I picked up some extra V6 stuff he had and was on my way.  But I do have an invitation to come visit again, so I think that's definitely something I'll have to do.  And this time I'll ask a few more questions.

I’d keep the AC if I were you.  I was always afraid of the system, but after overhauling the system in my Volvo, I regret previous A/C deletes!

Easy to graft in attainable parts, and the compressor is very common, so it should be easy to sort out.  Even A/C lines can be redone at hydraulic shops for cheap.

BTW - Pretty sure John said he used the intake and carb set up on his car and ditched the injection…

14 hours ago, Bean said:

I’d keep the AC if I were you.  I was always afraid of the system, but after overhauling the system in my Volvo, I regret previous A/C deletes!

Easy to graft in attainable parts, and the compressor is very common, so it should be easy to sort out.  Even A/C lines can be redone at hydraulic shops for cheap.

To be honest, it's not that I'm worried about the task.  I think most AC parts are pretty standard and I'm sure I can find what I need if I'm so inclined.  The issue is that I dislike all the extra weight and plumbing that goes with AC systems and clutters up the engine bay.  My idea with going with manual windows, mirrors, and door locks is to make the systems simpler and lighter.  AC is very nice on a hot day, it's true.  But this isn't a DD; it's a fun car for my own enjoyment and I'd like to make the front end lighter and get the weight distribution closer to that magic 50/50 number.  Fitting a lighter battery is also on that list.  The PRV engine is heavier than the XN6, so every little bit helps.  Plus I really dislike where Peugeot put the alternator on the V6 cars.  It gets soaked in oil and road grime down there.  Anyway, that's why I'm thinking about deleting the AC in this case.

Same thing with going with a manual glass moonroof or even a fixed one - that's weight up high that acts against the car in a corner, so I want to minimize it.  I draw the line at re-engineering the Peugeot suspension because to me that's a huge part of what makes it a Peugeot in the first place, but I can help that suspension out by removing some weight that works against it.

When I get around to building a 604, that car will have AC and power everything, but it will be a little more focused on creature comforts than this STX.

If going lightweight then absolutely!  I’ve often thought about the same, with simple door cards with just pull straps.  Also thought it would be neat to engineer a manual sunroof mechanism for opening and closing if not deleted.  Glass would be the antithesis since you’re adding weight at the very top of the car.

Battery relocate would help, or going to a lightweight lithium battery would save a huge chunk of weight.

Regardless - sounds like a great path forward!

3 minutes ago, Bean said:

If going lightweight then absolutely!  I’ve often thought about the same, with simple door cards with just pull straps.  Also thought it would be neat to engineer a manual sunroof mechanism for opening and closing if not deleted.  Glass would be the antithesis since you’re adding weight at the very top of the car.

The 504s had, IIRC, a manual sunroof mechanism that involved a hand crank ahead of the sunroof opening, didn't they?  The existing 505 sunroof mechanism is said to be prone to failure over time thanks to its cable, while the 604 setup is much better although the sunroof motor is mounted in the ceiling and so adds weight up there.  I am still looking at options, but I think just a very simple tip-up arrangement that can also be removed entirely would be the lightest.

You're quite right about the glass being heavier.  I'll either stick with the steel panel, or more likely use tinted polycarbonate or something similar.

The 504 had a handle that rotated 90 degrees down to unlock and works as a handle to manually pull back.  Rotating back up locks it in place.

It might be possible to “manualize” the existing set up, but mechanism to close and lift it into place would need some thought to get right in order to replace the push/pull cable set up. Not sure the seal would like a tilting capability, but might be easier to do if so.

Whatever I wind up doing with the sunroof, I want to make sure it can be returned to OEM if I change my mind later.  So the goal is to make no changes to the body shell, or at least none that can't be easily reversed.

I think the first step is to drop the headliner and see what's actually up there.  It's been a long time since I had a good look at the sunroof in one of these cars.

Pull the panel on the sunroof down and you can see the mechanism.  Undoing the sunroof cable attachment allows manual operation, but without something to hold / lock the assembly in place when closed, it tends to pop down fairly easily.