Hugh's 1987 505 STX V6 Project

PeugeotPilot

I hear you, Goce.  My personal life took some twists and turns that I won't get into here, and that is one of the main reasons for the lack of action over the last two years.  But things are getting back to "new normal" for me on that front, and it's time I turned some of my attention to my Peugeots again.

Having too many parts cars and projects around is definitely an albatross around my neck, so my first task was to define my vision for my car collection.  I did this over a matter of months, starting with a list of 30+ cars and eventually paring it down to seven cars and three motorcycles.  That got painful toward the end, as I was cutting some very desirable (to me, anyway) cars from the list.  But the bottom line is that I'm not rich and this modest collection is something I can realistically attain.

As it stands now, this consists of:

• one 604 (heavily modified)
  • one 605 SV24
  • one 505 (the STX I already have)
  • two 406 Coupes (I'm starting a new build thread for these)
  • one Eagle Premier (the '88 LX I already have)
  • one Lincoln Mark V
  • one Kawasaki motorcycle (my current ZX9R)
  • two Yamaha motorcycles

Once I had the collection defined, the next step was to divest myself of everything not on that list.  So this is where I find myself now, although it's a long and ongoing process.  I've had lots of cars hauled away once I removed the usable parts, but I have a LOT of cars and I can't just throw them away if they have good parts on them.  As long as I'm moving forward with the disassembly and cleanup, that's the important thing.  In the meantime I have cars sitting in storage in the USA and the UK and I need to bring them home ASAP.  Bean has already been of great help in this regard.

One thing at a time, I guess!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Mike T said:

Small piece of advice: I'd skip the pop up sunroof - it would look super tacky on any Peugeot.  Just keep the original that doesn't work, or weld it over.

I hear you, Mike, but the 505 sunroofs are problematic (the 604 design is much better) and I like the look of a glass panel rather than a metal one.  A fixed glass skylight would work too.  Bottom line is that I can shave some weight, simplify the car a bit, and still look up at the sky this way.  For what it's worth, the 406C sunroofs are much like this, although electric.  They tip up and slide back.

Like most other details, this one is not yet set in stone.

The two possibilities I'm considering for this project are shown below, although it should be noted that the Phase I interior would be in dark blue like the Phase II dash.  The third picture shows yet another idea, using the Grant wheel with the Phase II dash.  This is going to be a tough call, as I like both dashboard styles.  The Phase I dash is most in keeping with the spirit of the Danielson V6 car, so that is the way I'm leaning at the moment.  But damn...it's a tough call.

IMG_20141213_154227.thumb.jpg.76908113dc5df0e18a969afc065135e9.jpg

IMG_20150919_182615_hdr.thumb.jpg.ba6a6a1eb8f235e5566cbb238494a095.jpg

IMG_00000849.thumb.jpg.08904e8821355b917e89b01021983fbf.jpg

I haven't, but the Phase I dash is pretty light and simple, plus really easy to remove and reinstall. Never considered fitting a 405 or 406 unit.  Interesting idea.  I bet it would be a lot of work though even if the width is the same.  I know that 604 dashboards, for example, are several inches wider.

I quite like the series 1 dash, but like the series 2 dash more as it looks much more modern.  Personal preference.

As for plastic he’ll - it’s leagues better than the Volvo 850’s that came after it.

Rabin

The Danielson V6 was good in its day, but everything on the road these days is quicker.  I'd be inclined not to modify too much for maximum speed, because that can't be won.  Better to enjoy it as a homage to a sporting version of a nice 1980s comfortable sedan.

Danielson did a good job with their V6 but the 2.8 193hp engine from the Alpine A310 V6 "Boulogne" was cheaper, they used a stock B28E volvo engine with -1mm on the heads, devil headers, Tagora SX intake manifolds matched to bigger carbs (Weber 46 IDA 3C) and that's about it.

You are quite right, Mike.  My attitude is that there will always be someone out there with something faster.  There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to the horsepower wars, and honestly what is the point?  The car will be plenty fast with around 200 bhp, and will still corner better in the real world than a lot of current cars.  That's good enough for me.  I think, as you say, an homage to the original Danielson V6, that respects the essential character of the 505, will be best.  At some point it's not a 505 anymore.

Thanks for your input, SRDT.  From what I've read, the Danielson V6 achieved its 195 bhp in part by running the 2.8L (2849 cc) version of the PRV engine to 7000 rpm.  That was with the standard 91 mm bore and 73 mm stroke.  The horsepower peak occurred at 6500 rpm as I recall.  I have a slightly different idea in mind, combining a 3.0L (2975 cc) Eagle Premier block and heads with the short-stroke crankshaft from a Renault 2.5 Turbo V6 (Z7U-T30).  This will give a displacement of 2568 cc and the same piston speed at 7000 rpm as the standard-stroke engine experiences at 6000.  The engine may or may not use forced induction - I haven't decided yet.  Turbocharging or supercharging is nice where I live because of the high density altitudes we get in southern Alberta, but I'm attracted to the idea of a high-revving NA engine for this car.

Apparently you can still get performance camshafts for this engine.  I will need to do some more research.

Oh, i know what you want to make Hugh, you want that F1 engine. A stock peugeot ZPJ is very rev happy and smooth engine, and it has 93mm bore and 55mm stroke. About the time i was working on my Mi16x2 conversion, a very good friend that drives trucks had to transport a Alfa 155 full race car from greece to germany, we had to change trucks because the previous company has wrecked the trailer on a low bridge, so i got called and we fired it up let it idle for 10 min with the new owner's permission, that day i first time used an air shifter and that thing revved to 10 000 rpm maybe higher the engine looks very similar to ZPJ with that wide oil pan and 6 open throttle bodys, i drove it about 50 meters just to change thralers, but it was an eye opening experience, i'm sure it run on some race gas because made all of as cry. That thing revs up like nothing other and sounded incredible.

The Alfa 155 DTM was using a 90° V6 on the later years, with a 90° V there was more room for the intake and the engine could be more compact than with the 60° angle from the stock Alfa "Busso" V6. The thing is that to make this bespoke race engine you needed to use the V angle and bore spacing of a real engine that had been fitted to one of your cars.

As it turns out for a few years Fiat had made Alfa and Lancia a single company and during those years the Lancia Thema 6V was using a 2.8 PRV V6... so Alfa homologated the 90° V and 108mm bore spacing from the PRV and then designed a race engine that was yet wasn't a PRV.

• 6 months later...

With spring solidly under way and the snow gone now, I have determined to make some significant progress on this car this year.  The project has evolved into something that will be quite unique once it's finished, and I am at serious risk of "paralysis by analysis" particularly with respect to the interior choices.  So I've decided to begin by removing what I know will come out - the worn-out carpet, the sun-baked dashboard, all that.  With the car stripped down to its shell, I can then decide how best to proceed.  The question of which dashboard to use may simply come down to whether or not the correct mounting points for the Phase I dash still exist or can be easily added in a Phase II car.  I don't have an answer to that question yet.

Hugh, the best way to find out will the dash fit is to take both out and try, knowing peugeot they don't change the body shell, too much effort, they may add a bracket or drill one more hole to mount it in a different place, but you'll have both cars next to each other, and you can transfer them as needed. Do you have any plans to do something with the 405 or the 406 this year?

6 hours ago, Goce said:

Hugh, the best way to find out will the dash fit is to take both out and try, knowing peugeot they don't change the body shell, too much effort, they may add a bracket or drill one more hole to mount it in a different place, but you'll have both cars next to each other, and you can transfer them as needed. Do you have any plans to do something with the 405 or the 406 this year?

Goce, I hope to make progress on all fronts this year.  I may just put a new interior in the STX and get it roadworthy,  and not worry too much about modifications until I have the engine built for it.  At that time I might make a bunch of changes but for now the easiest thing to do is to just fix what needs fixing and have a nice, running car I can actually use.  As for the 406Cs, I now have four, although one is still in Ontario and the other two are still in the UK.  I eventually want just two for myself, so one will get sold, one will become a parts car, and two will stay.  Until I get  all four in the same place at the same time, I don't know exactly what I will do with each, but I have something of an idea now.  The goal for this year is simply to fix and sell a few of the cars I already have, and bring home the four cars that I have stuck in other countries at the moment.  That and have at least one Peugeot that I can drive daily during the summer months.  If I get all that done, I'll call it a good year.

• 2 years later...

Well, here we are in 2023 and this project has not moved forward at all in the interim.  Apart from the fact that I've run the car regularly and it basically hasn't deteriorated at all since the last time I posted, I have essentially nothing new to report.  But, with a new job has come (finally) the financing to move ahead with some of my car projects.  And I think it's time I did something with this one.  So, a couple of days ago I sat down and thought about what I'd really like to accomplish with this car.  I know I want forced induction.  I know I want it to remain a PRV V6.  I know I want to retain the Peugeot suspension and ABS.  Starting from there, I put together a build plan, and I've attached it here.

Key to the success of this plan is using parts and pieces that I mostly already have, so as to keep costs and delays down.  For example, I already have two spare Eagle Premier 3.0L engines.  Things like a new clutch and new brake pads I will have to source from Europe or the UK most likely, although I still see things pop up on eBay from time to time.  The SDS engine management system is going to be the most expensive part of this project, fully 20% of the budget.  But finally I actually do have a budget, and the means to move ahead with this.

Changes to the plan will be minor from this point on.  Mission creep is the enemy of progress.  This car needs to be on the road.  I brought it home from California in 2015 and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Disassembly is the first step, and if the weather is good then I'll begin that in about a week.

Peugeot 505 STX V6 Turbo Build Plan.pdf

Well, when I got the car the AC was already partially removed, so I'm just going to finish the job.  I suppose I could add all that weight and plumbing back in, but I'm not inclined to; I can live without it.  The only problem is that all Premiers had AC so the serpentine belt drive is set up for the compressor, mounted on the RH side valve cover.  I haven't really looked into what I'd have to do to make that work without it.  In the end it might actually be simpler to just reinstall the AC.  That said, I'd almost rather relocate the alternator up there, away from the exhaust, where it should stay cleaner and cooler.  I know I want to make use of the serpentine belt drive in any case.  It's a nice update for the 505.  It was one of the reasons I decided on the Premier engine, the others being the slight bump in displacement and the hydraulic cam followers.

1 hour ago, SRDT said:

Renault probably has a serpentine belt setup with no A/C.

Yeah, that thought had occurred to me.  And since the Premier engine is a Renault unit, I think it's very likely I can find what I need to make that work without starting over.

Still kind of leaning towards a high-mounted alternator though, especially since there's a nice set of threaded mounting points cast into the RH valve cover for the AC compressor.  Might have to have some custom brackets made up, but that would be worthwhile, I think.