Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel in 505

Man In Black

Though some of you may have already seen this on the FB page, I wanted to post this here because this is a great Archival & Reference source that lends itself much better to research than does the FB format. I also wanted Rabin to see it because his Momo wheel upgrade, though not the Monte Carlo, really inspired this upgrade for me.

First impressions while driving with the new wheel today. First, the Momo wheel definitely removed the old grandpa feel of the car and replaces it with a much more sporty feel, that said, though it is the bigger version (350mm vs. an available 320mm) it does negatively impact the view of the cluster, particularly the oil temp & gas level indicators to the right, almost completely obscuring them in some driving positions which I'm quite unhappy about, fortunately there's an upside to this, the wheel being a bit smaller in overall circumference compared with the stock wheel and combined with the new hub which places the wheel approximately 1/2" - 3/4" closer to the cluster (away from the driver) allow for a much more "open" feel to the driving position, it seems as if there's much more room available. Obviously the feel of the new wheel in your hands is much nicer, both because of the design and shape of it but also simply because it's new is nice, also I kind of prefer the darker black version of the Momo against the darker grey of the O.G. unit. This particular wheel, the Monte Carlo is very well suited to the 505, and I'd add that it would be a welcome addition to most 80's euro cars in general, it feels right at home, giving a subtle but more refined, mature European sport sedan feel, and not so much the "boy racer" look as can be facilitated with other types of wheels. If I could change one thing it would be to increase the overall diameter a bit to be better able to view the whole cluster at once, and maybe even a portion of perforated leather, or even suede on the wheel would be nice. Overall I'm quite pleased with the upgrade and I'm glad I did it. The proper 86' and up hub had to be ordered from Italy through Crowder's Customizing and took about a month to get here. For now I've opted to go with the blue lion horn button.

Blue Peugeot Lion Horn Buton

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ITALIAN-OBA-PEUGEOT-EMBLEM-SPORTS-STEERING-WHEEL-REPLACEMENT-HORN-BUTTON-/271657844776?hash=item3f4011c028&vxp=mtr

post-1177-0-86469700-1443853800_thumb.jp

post-1177-0-10866300-1443853809_thumb.jp

Very nice Randy!

I would highly recommend trying a 405 hub on there first. It moves it 3" closer to you, and for me being 6' tall - it's absolutely perfected the seating position.

Steering wheel looks nice, bit bigger than the Momo's I'm using, but that classic style. I've got a bit of a Momo addiction and I will likely have to buy a horn button too. :)

Have you started stereo install yet? What about 505 Turbo / or 504 updates?

Rabin

Very nice Randy!

I would highly recommend trying a 405 hub on there first. It moves it 3" closer to you, and for me being 6' tall - it's absolutely perfected the seating position.

Steering wheel looks nice, bit bigger than the Momo's I'm using, but that classic style. I've got a bit of a Momo addiction and I will likely have to buy a horn button too. :)

Have you started stereo install yet? What about 505 Turbo / or 504 updates?

Rabin

No 505 Turbo updates, I don't have the 504 anymore, I traded it to my mechanic months ago in exchange for some work. as for the stereo ya, I've been slowly hoarding components, just need the amp, sound processor, sub, and camera stuff...just dropped off the Double Din head unit and spare radio console piece to my buddy yesterday who owns a car stereo installation shop, he's going to modify and possibly mold the Alpine cage thing into the console piece so I can then intall it, should be ready in a week or so, I told him no hurry...

Nice touch on the Focal's - made in France? Should sound amazing.

Tough to have multiple project cars on a budget - you just can't do as nice a job on 2-3 cars as you can with just one car.

Your 89' is gorgeous so it's nice to see it's getting all the attention right now.

Rabin

The Momo wheel was available from Peugeot dealers (at least for the 205 and 309) and with a special "Peugeot champion du Monde des rallyes 1985-86" cap:

a9c2fc8ff46230aec965fd2bddac7ed0783ec589

http://img4.leboncoin.fr/images/a9c/a9c2fc8ff46230aec965fd2bddac7ed0783ec589.jpg

Later the 309 Goodwood (a special edition) was offered from factory with wooden wheel and gear knob, with a free delete option in case you didn't like them:

f8345feebb.jpg

The wood wheel is gorgeous!

The Peugeot champion du Monde des rallyes 1985-86 cap is likely ideal on a 205, but still be suitable for an 85/86 505 Turbo.

Having a nice wheel really does make the drive much nicer. :)

Rabin

• 6 years later...

I also replaced the steering wheel. First I thought about a Momo Prototipo but then I found this old Momo steering wheel. Together with a hub from a Peugeot 205 this fits perfectly. (Idle is ok but the speedometer cable is damaged)

IMG_20220321_073826.thumb.jpg.2d6404528a68a42d23abfb89f15f8920.jpg