Going to need lots of advice and good thoughts.

Martin Hicks

My wifes boss from her part time job, just sold us a 1986 505 wagon and a 1989 405s sedan. Really excited about getting both going. The 405s was fired up today and needs brakes all around. Minor electric issues, mice chewing in engine compartment, but will be road ready in a couple of weeks. The 505 wagon is the major project. Major engine wiring issues. My wife primary job works for a car parts store so some parts won't be a problem, but were is the most reliable place to get parts for Peugots. We searched our local chain parts store for accessibility and got real nervous when we could not locate , starter, alternater and such. Can I pick your brains for information. Thanks for anything given.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums Martin!

For parts check out the vendor page on this site. Western Hemispheres, Rock Auto, as well as ebay can also be sources.

Good parts places can get lots of parts, but they have to be good enough to know everything is not always listed in their computers. (Most check their terminal and give up when its not listed.)

When all else fails some ģood old ingenuity can go a long way as well. :)

Rabin

You can use the Bosch catalog, better than most of online databases

http://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/

You can also use this part catalog taken from Peugeot to search old partnumbers on google:

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/

No US model but lots of parts aren't specific to US so it's a good start, and it's in english.

Welcome Martin

Which engine is in the wagon?

not sure about the engine in the wagon. Both were parked in 07 or 08. The 405 is running but needs tune up. Wiring issues with the wagon but it looks easy enough, i hope. Both are solid cars. The guy I have bought them from say never junk a Peugeot. So I'm not. Hoping to get them going for the teens to use until they can buy thier own cars. Also thanks for all your help everyone. .

• 4 weeks later...

Update on 405. Front end is on jacks and calipers off, going to rebuild them. New rear calipers are on the way. Was going to drain old oil and got under only to be flummoxed by not seeing drain plug that I am use to. Is there a special tool for this? Used a small pipe wrench to loosen it. Also found a leak in the fuel line, but it looks easy enough to fix. There also seems to be a noise from the engine around where the starter is, not sure what it is. Does it while running like something needs lube. Am I in over my head or is being patient my best bet. Crossing fingers for success.

It's an 8mm square drive. 5/16" works too.

Patience, common sense, and asking questions will get the car sorted assuming there isn't something major, but those same traits will also help figure it out.

Rabin

Found a wrench thing in the back trunk thatis 8mm square drive. Mother in law pointed it out to me. Bought a backup drain plug for just in case episode. Front calipers are rebuilt, wife helped out alot. Everything is mounted. Tomorrow will jack up rear and put thenew calipers on rear, then brakes will be done. Slow and patient is the theme for this build. Thanks for the advice Rabin.

NEVER divorce her. :)

one of the things I believe is that if you drive a car, you should know how to work on them. I taught my wife some basic stuff and then off she went. She used to own a crappy Mustang (4 cylinder ) that would throw a lifter. She would pull over, take valve cover off, put it back, tighten it a little and go. She is one in a million. Actually today is 18 year anniversary.

505 Wagons have drum brakes in the rear, but when Martin gets his next 505 or 504 sedan, that's when he'll need to remember to rotate the caliper piston to retract it. :)

I don't remember any tricks for 405 brakes, but I'd defer to Savo or Andre for confirmation.

Rabin

Troublesome, working on the last caliper, only to find out the emergency brake cable is broken on that side. Don't know if that is a problem but will be on the list to fix. Almost done, needed to replace an 8 inch hard line for the brakes, phone call to the wife, brings one home. How many can say they have their own personal parts delivery driver. It's nice, believe me. Should have it off jack stands tomorrow, fingers crossed.

I am up in Massillon. I have been driving 505s since 1989. Six total. I am driving an 86 turbo sedan and an 85 xn6 wagon. I have been collecting the factory manuals. None come to mind that I don't have. There aren't many areas on the car that I haven't delved into over the years. I have done a few engine transplants.

One of the things that I learned that it is important with the electrical is to go in and clean every connection, particularly anything related to the fuel injection. They are tough cars, and straightforward once you know your way around.

-Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced fuel lines onlyto have put them on backwards. Finally got running again. Hesitation when throttling. No air leaksand regapped sparkplugs. Went to change fuel filter. Original fuel filter. Damn. Now need more fuel line clamps. (sigh) one thing after another. Also having problems with bleeding the brakes.