N9txx timing chain/guides

Brenyw

Hi

Does anyone know if the timing chain guides are still available anywhere new? I guess that goes for the timing chain too.

My spare motor seems to have damaged guides due to the tensioner falling apart (still haven't worked out how this happened), the chain has then flogged around.

I found the bits of tensioner in the sump and extracted them with a magnet, reconstructing, it doesn't seem possible for the piston to just fall out of the tensioner as the chain is not that loose??

Thanks,

Brendan

No - guides and chains are NLA, but tensioners are available last I checked. If you keep an eye out you might come across NOS parts for sale once in a while, or you might try the vendors listed in the vendor section.

I've got a few parts engines I need to part out if you don't mind used, and can wait a while...

Rabin

Chain's are standard and widely used. Easy to pick longer chain and just cut and use lock or nail it. I have used lock in all engines what I have build without problems.

At least diesel engine tensioner can be used but its bit tricky cause lock release is in different side than original.

V-M

Main chain 3/8 X 7/32" 98 lenks (29/D 67 98) (JIWS chain markings)

So any chain over 98 lenks will do :) This looks promising ->

DR98 Timing Chain, dual row 98 link

1965-1990 Porsche 911

1970-1971 Porsche 914/6

1975-1982 Toyota Celica

1975-1982 Toyota Corona

1975-1982 Toyota pickup 024-0333 13506-38010

D67-98

http://saintgeorgeltd.com/Part-Listings/Timing/TIMING%20CHAINS.html

Thanks all for the info, looks like the guides can't be found new, so I may need to go 2nd hand, thanks for the offer Rabin.

Perhaps another option is to adapt something up, need to re-drill holes in the guide or block (guides preferably).

Also while fiddling with the engine in my car on the weekend, I noticed the tensioner has been modified to make it manually adjustable.

Looks like it has a set-screw right thru to the piston and a locking nut around this. It will still hydraulically tension but uses the screw to stop the piston being pushed back into the cylinder. This is the Brampton type tensioner not the Winklhofer type, I haven't seen inside a Winklhofer to know if this could be done also.

I'll make a sketch and post it when I get a chance.

Timing chain is the same as the following vehicles:

Timing Chain, dual row 96 link

1971-1977 Dodge Colt 1600
1984-1988 Hyundai Pony
1985-1986 Hyundai Stellar
1976-1977 Plymouth Arrow

In Australia the Dodge Colt was sold as the Mitsubishi Colt, and same engine as the Chrysler/Sigma 1600

The actual designation is 06B2 endless chain 96 pitches long (British Standard 3/8" pitch duplex)

• 1 month later...

Hi Brenyw - Sorry, it's been hectic with work and sick kids this last month.

I'm parting out two N9TE's shortly and I'll have everything you should need so if you can PM me a list of everything we can work something out. As long as you can cover shipping right away we can work out the details after since I'd still prefer a trade of some sort.

I'll take pics and document everything you need and confirm before sending.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin, now the weather has improved here I can look a bit harder for those parts. Only thing is I hear they are as rare as rocking horse poo, so there are probably even fewer here in Australia.

With the parts I need, I'll PM you further details.

Brendan

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Rabin,
Just to be sure I have scanned the outline of both timing chain guides. If you could lay the guides you have on top to check that would be good. I am almost certain they will be the same.
post-1671-0-99215200-1445636984_thumb.jppost-1671-0-16322400-1445636993_thumb.jp

If you print out these at 1:1 scale they should be the right size.

Thanks,

Brendan