Seeking manual transmission flywheel for gasoline 504/505

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group. I recently picked up a 1971 504 XN1 with an automatic. I would like to put a 4 speed in, and have most of the parts. I'm lacking the flywheel, flywheel bolts, and what is called "frein" in french. Looks to be some sort of tab washer with a boss in the center.

Also, I'm looking for an air filter housing and a steering column clamshell--all or part.

And, it's currently running a tired Solex SEIEA, though also have a set of equally tired dual single barrel Solexes.

Can anyone help with parts or advice? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks!

welcome, matt!

all of those parts should be get-able, i'll need to do some looking but i'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

the flywheel and bolts should be available without much trouble, you could try brian holm (in vermont) or ukit (here in socal). rob courtier or madhu may also be able to get those for you. you can find contact info for all of those guys in our "vendors" section on the main forum page. they may also be able to help you with the steering column surround.

the air filter housing may be tougher -- you may be able to find it here in the US, europe might be easier (UK, france or germany).

as for the "frein" -- is this the part you are talking about?

plate%2051_zpsjvi0jz2a.jpg

that's the only part that i could see that was labeled "frein" in the transmission section of the french parts fiche for the 504. incidentally, the english word for "frein" is "brake." so obviously this part (and/or the one you are looking for) has something to do with the brakes or is some kind of stop for the cylinder (more likely). once you confirm what you are looking for, i'll see what i can find...

andré

PS -- would love to see pics of the car when you have a chance, plus any alfas you have.... :)

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your referrals. I have an email in to Brian Holm, but haven't heard anything back yet. The "frein" is part number(s) 053912/053915--lock washer for crank bolts?

Image of my Peugeot is below. I sold my last Alfa about 15 years ago.

70287d1433176265-504-505-flywheel-compat1971-Peugeot-504-Front.jpg

Congratulations on the 71 504! That was a stellar year. The first year of the XN engine series, and the only year with a 2bbl manifold, perfect for mounting a Weber 32-36 DFV, or Holly knockoff.

I may have that flywheel handy. I will look tomorrow. Converting to stick shift may be a bit complicated though; unless you can find a '71 column shifter. The floor pan is not made for a stick shift; and I am not sure about the pedal assembly from a later one fitting the firewall. The early clutch cylinders use a nylon connecting line which could be very hard to find, so you want to be sure to use the post-'75 master cylinder and a 505 V6 slave. If you use the early 504 floor shifter you would have to fabricate a rear mount onto the torque tube. The later shifters mount to the floor which would probably entail some sheet metal work. Sealing the opening against noise and outside air could be tricky in either case, as could be getting a finished interior appearance.

Hi Brian,

Good to hear that 71 is a good year, and thanks for looking for the flywheel. The parts I have for the swap are from a mid 80's diesel. I have the shift linkage and the mount, which attaches to the tunnel. I will have to figure out how all that goes together, and where exactly it is supposed to be located on the tunnel. You can see from my post above that I am also needing flywheel bolts, (and pressure plate bolts as well), plus the "frein".

Is there anything else I need?

Thanks for all your help.

80's 504 diesel donor car?

If going to all the trouble of a manual swap I highly recommend using a 5sp XN6 transmission from the later 505 series cars. I did this in my 76' 504 which happens to also use a euro XN1 with the 32/36 Weber on it.

Makes for a wonderful car with more than enough power to keep up with traffic, and 5th makes highway travel a dream.

Sadly my car is nowhere as nice as yours - it looks great!

Rabin

Hi Brian 2 (or is it Rabin?),

Bellhousing is from a mid 80's 504 XD2, I think. I was told the bellhousing would work on an XN1, but maybe not? The engine was out of the car, so I don't know for sure if it was a TD, but I think not. The transmission is a 4 speed.

And thanks for the compliment. That's the good side of the car you're seeing. The paint is a bit rough at the back corner--old accident repair.I didn't pursue it.

And what are the impediments to using a 5 speed? I had understood that they needed a different driveshaft and tube, which is why I didn't pursue it.

And do you have a picture of under your engine? I'd like to see the carb and linkage if it's not too much trouble.

Brian responded to the forum notification which comes to me as the admin, so I just pasted it here for him.

Second post was from me. :)

Bellhousing won't work for sure. 5sp and the 4sp are the same length and it bolts up - only issue would be to adapt the column mount shifter to work with the 5-sp. I would do whatever it took to keep the column mount shift with the 5sp as that would be beyond cool.

I'll try to get pics of my sad 504, she's neglected, rusty, and sad, but I love this car. (Also has 86' 505 Turbo front suspension and brakes)

Rabin

Hi Rabin,

OK, so a bellhousing is on the list as well. The car is an automatic now, so trying to go to a column shift would be challenging, I think. I any case, having driven what I think is one of the better column shifters (Lancia Fulvia Berlina), and one of the worst (65 chevy 3 on a tree), I much prefer the shifter on the floor.

Sorry - read column and associated it with column shift!

I'll defer to Brian's comments on issues with the floor, but what I can speak too is that the 505 shifter can work in the 504 if you can weld a bracket onto 504 torque tube, or if you used the 505 torque tube.

Only the BA7/4 transmission can have the xn1/6 bellhousing bolt up, but again - for all the work needed - using the 5sp from the newer 505's allows the newer style clutch slave, as well as the overdrive which makes the car much more modern.

505 parts cars can be found cheap, so all you'll need is the pedals / pedal cluster, master cylinder reservoir, and clutch master and line from the 504 manual car.

Rabin

Thanks, Rabin.

Since I'm new to the Peugeot world, can you tell me where the cheap 505 parts are? There are few Peugeot's of any kind around my neck of the woods.--Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco.

And are you implying that an XN1 bellhousing will bolt up to a 5 speed transmission form a 505?

Thanks.

Xn* motors are basically the same, xn1 is carbed, xn6 are Bosch CIS injection - so transmissions and basically all ancillaries swap over.

We should talk - I've been wanting to do a v6 swap into my car, which means the existing powertrain would be perfect for your car. Weber set up is dialed in perfect, and I even have a new clutch to go with it, and it's using the xn6's electronic ignition too.

I can't say it'll be dirt cheap, but bang for the buck will be excellent. I'm in Canada, but I'd be willing to drive across the border to ship, or might even be able to get it delivered close if Hugh is able to squeaze it in on the trip down to Cali. (All the specific bits off the motor unless you want the whole motor).

Might be easier to sell me your 504 though. :)

Rabin

post-8-0-58641300-1433474932_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-66267700-1433474974_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-60700500-1433475006_thumb.jpg

Carb linkage: Weber on it was brand new in box, but the Weber linkage was crap. I removed the Solex linkage and machined it to fit the Weber, and used the original cable with modified brackets so works perfect. It'd look OEM if not for the chrome air cleaner that I modified to fit the 7" garden tractor air filter element. (Taller so it flows more air and is easier to purchase).

You may also notice the 80A GM alternator in the picture - another highly recommended upgrade.

BTW - I'll happily share any of the tricks and work arounds should you find bits more local to you - I'm just glad that '71 found a good home.

Rabin

That '82-83 diesel-to-BA7 bell housing is a valuable piece of property (for getting a 5-speed TD into a wagon without the rear mount hassle), but it won't mate to a gas engine. You need the bell from an '82-on XN6, plus the tranny if you want to go 5-speed. An '80-81 XN6 bell and its BA10-5 tranny will also work. Get the matching clutch fork and slave cylinder with the bell. All of the '82-on transmissions require an oil seal in the bell, unlike '81 back, so while the bolt patterns are the same on all BA7s (6 bolts), and on all BA10s (7 bolts), you can't use an early bell on a late tranny or vice versa. (And on diesels (only) the starter, flywheel ring gear, and clutch disc all change together.)

One other potential problem with your conversion occurs to me: I recall a TSB pointing out that at some point, perhaps with the '79 model, the torque tube to tail housing mating surface contour changed, causing an incompatibility in at least one direction. So you might have to use a late torque tube with a late transmission.

Rabin, have you verified that 505 pedals will work in a 504? I would be a little surprised. I recall that there were several iterations of incompatible mastervacs in 504s. I have to get my fiche reader working!

Brian - couple posts back I mentioned that 504 pedals would be needed. On my first 504 I swapped the auto for a v6 4sp manual and the brake and clutch pedals replaced the auto brake pedal in the bracket so it was a very easy swap. Even the

clutch master bolted right up.

Rabin

Hi everyone,

Looks like there's a lot of info for me to noodle on. It would be helpful to know the dimensional changes to the torquetube/gearbox interface so I can see what I have. Don't suppose there are drawings floating around in the ether?

I have a complete replacement pedal box with all hydraulics, so I think that I can make that part of it work.

Rabin (and others)

I'm happy to talk. You can reach me at 818-668-7567. Or if you prefer, I can call you. Just let me know what number to use.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...