injection pump removal/install/timing and throttle.

tSoG

So we have this 505 wagon in the driveway and we got it primed and running (ish) but the throttle lever does nothing. Engine is Xd3t and pump looks fine but loses prime and stalls shortly after starting. We added a small lift pump and it will stay idling but again no throttle action. I have a spare engine/pump but it is different enough from my vw that my timing tools do not appear to work and I dont have a manual to verify the injection pump removal. Is there a pdf somewhere for that fsm? Or do i need a physical/paper manual? Is there a writeup on here for pump removal/timing that I missed in my search? My phone isn't very awesome and I could have missed it in my attempt to find info.

Is there any other reason the throttle lever on the pump won't increase rpm besides being bad?

Is there an easy way to verify tdc on the ip without special tools?

Sorry for the pile of questions in no specific order, and thank you all for your help in advance.

Have you had a chance to take some pictures of her yet? :)

As for the IP not revving - I would make sure the fuel flow is not being restricted. I've read of fuel lines not rated for diesel being used that collapsed internally, but other than that I don't know how an IP could fail internally so that it only idles...

Hopefully some of the more experienced diesel heads can speak up.

I'm currently on vacation and I won't be near my manuals for another couple weeks. I do know the factory timing instructions are very time consuming and use special tools - but most experts agree that it's still best set by ear.

As for removal I would assume its very similar to the VW except it's gear driven. Pretty sure you could remove and replace with no issues - I say this because my TD wagon was purchased and driven 8 hours with the IP missing 2 bolts and the third completely loose... :) (Total diesel noob as I thought the IP looked like it was shaking a lot but had no time to investigate since it seemed to run good!)

• 5 months later...

I've got a very good memory - it's just really short. :)

I'll see if I can get you some pictures of the manual today for removal.

Pump timing needs special tools, so best bet is to mark housing and block so you can put it back where it was, then I would try to tune by ear.

Process I am going to follow is to rotate the top of the pump closer to engine (advanced), until the diesel sound gets a little harsh, then back it off until it sounds good. I need to work on my "diesel ear" - but I'm told I'll know it when I hear it.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin, a diagram would be great!

Someone in another thread mentioned that the INjection pump comes off with four bolts, high-pressure lines and a few cables/hoses. Maybe I'm making this more complicated or possibly looking at removing more than what is necessary, either way any help would be great!