Removing the AC system...

pug505usa

Anything I should be watching for?

living in texas with a car without AC. :) seriously, are you sure that's something that you want to do? i'm originally from lousiana so i know how hot it can get in that part of the country...

that being said, the AC system is under pressure so be mindful of this when you start working on it. you should depressurize the system and then evacuate it to recover the refrigerant. r12, the refrigerant that came in our systems originally, can damage the ozone and pollutes the environment as well. r134a, found in newer automotive systems and older cars that have been converted, doesn't damage the ozone but is an environmental pollutant. technically, there's nothing to stop you from releasing (bleeding) the refrigerant into the atmosphere but it *is* illegal and you could be fined for doing it in the (extremely) remote chance that you got caught.

this is all basic car AC stuff, by the way. while it's generally true that "the french copy nobody, and nobody copies the french," the AC systems on our cars are fairly standard. :)

if you do remove the AC components, you should hang on to them if you ever change your mind or sell the car.

andré

Thanks Andre! I actually removed it last night... The compressor has to come out from underneath... if the system had any sign of potentially working again I would keep it but it has not been running for years. It was totally dry inside. I really doubt the compressor is any good... I grew up in France until I came to the US in 89... AC was a luxury and very few cars had it... La "clim" as they call it was an expensive option... I think I saw it one time in a Jaguar. Americans are so hookup to AC that a car without it has lost a lot of its resale value... For me I love Mechanic 101... I am an outside guy... :)