Peugeot Galaxie purchase - let it begin...

Bean

I blame Joe and Andre... Mostly Joe though - he's a bad man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261519581690?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_792wt_1105

I've been trying to source a newer parts bike to no avail, but now I'm thinking I need to get the bike and evaluate first. Once I know for sure what I have and what I need I can look for a donor bike that has what I need, or I may just build it up slowly as parts come along.

First and foremost will be to strip the frames anodizing and polish the alloy back up. My preference is to leave the alloy polished and maybe just wax or 3M stone guard where needed to protect it.

Rabin

Yup - Done deal. Everything from the bike except the wheels so I could reassemble with a new wheelset only if I wanted.

Frame will be a fair amount of work to get ready though so I have time to get it prepped.

Long term plan is to train for a sprint length triathalon and use this bike for the ride. Ambitious considering my current level of fitness, but thats the plan.

Rabin

very nice! you are hereby required to start a build thread for this bike when it gets shipped to you. :)

joe, when you got the estimate from velocals for the decals, how much of the price was setup? if it was a lot, maybe it would be practical for you and rabin to get two sets done and split the cost....

Long term plan is to train for a sprint length triathalon and use this bike for the ride. Ambitious considering my current level of fitness, but thats the plan.

... a man's reach should exceed his grasp... :)

robert browning, andrea del sarto

andré

Now to try and come up to speed on all the modification aspects so that it can be upgraded as much as possible.

I really want a carbon fork due to rough road conditions, as well as a modern handlebar and shifter set up. (Ideally painted silver or to match decals so it doesn't look too out of place - function > form)

Alloy fork can hopefully be an upgrade for my Mont Blanc.

With this being built as a race bike I'll continue to use my Mont Blanc as the trainer.

So - any suggestions for the best way to get into a carbon fork? Is converting to a threadless 1 1/8th headset the way to go?

Rabin

regarding the carbon fork -- i don't think you're going to be able to convert to 1 1/8"-- there are some older bikes that use the so-called "american 1-inch standard" that is actually very close to 1 1/8" such that they can take a 1 1/8 steerer with a bit of machining. these bikes are mostly bmx and cruisers afaik. any european bike with a 1" head tube is never gonna take a 1 1/8 steerer without cutting & welding being involved, though.

so you are looking at a 1" steerer. i did a bit of research on this a while back, i didn't find a 1" threadless carbon fork but that doesn't mean they don't exist. as far as threaded carbon 1" road forks, i think nashbar has one for about US$100 and i think that ritchey also sells one for about twice that. there are also lots of used ones on ebay, etc., reynolds and look are two very good brands that are NLA new.

regarding the headset -- you can get a good alloy NOS one (like joe did) or you can get a newer one from somebody like velo orange. i haven't found a french threaded headset in anodized black, please let us know if you find one. if you want to use the newer threadless stye stems you can use the adapter i posted earlier (machined for french headset bikes).

andré

• 3 years later...

Yup - nothing like resurrecting a 4 year old thread - but that's what you gotta do when you start back into it!  

Updates:

• Frame is being blasted and painted silver.  Hummed and hawed over polishing the alloy - but worried about maintenance and corrosion.
  • Shimano 600 Tricolor 6400 7sp DT group purchased, with 6403 offset pivot calipers. 
  • Shimano 600 Tricolor 175mm crank arms from another seller.
  • Shimano 600 Tricolor 7sp hubs 
  • NOS Mavic Open Pro rims (32H)
  • Velodecals Galaxie decal set ordered.
  • Minty Selle Italia Flite seat

I also bought a Shimano RX100 3x8 Brifter set up a while back, but decided DT shifting was the way to go with this build, and since I'm going Shimano it's now a Galaxie build.

Will have to figure out cables and housings, bar tape, as well as building the wheels.  Local bike guru is willing to help me build the wheels and it's always been something I wanted to know how to do - so that's the plan so far.

Will post pics when the stuff starts coming in.  (Group was just purchased this past week.)

Rabin

• Bean changed the title to Peugeot Galaxie purchase - let it begin...