Welcome to the new Peugeot specific cycle forums...

Bean

Since there was obvious interest in Peugeot bikes - it was time we had some dedicated space to discuss them, as well as documents some builds.

I'll do my best to move what I think belongs here, but please feel free to message me any other posts that should be moved into the vélos section. I've also created a child forum of this so that we could set up cycle builds for individual bikes, and the main section can be just basic discussions and such.

Feedback is always welcome - so let me know what you think!

Rabin

i for one am happy to see this section. lots of us peugeot car owners also own peugeot bikes, and there are special issues related to upgrading them with modern components. building old bikes with old components is one thing, and building new bikes with new components is another, but building old french bikes with new components is another thing entirely. :) it's not unlike some of the interesting restomod projects that forum members here are working on with their peugeot cars.

recently i read on a bike forum that peugeot is slowing expanding its dealer network for its new line of bicycles -- i believe that they are building out their UK network right now. it's not unrealistic to hope that they may expand to the US & Canada sometime in the next few years...there's something of a new bike boom going on right now, driven by many of the same factors that drove the earlier boom in the 70s and 80s (concern for fitness and the for the environment)...lots of cities are starting bike-sharing programs, and reconsidering how bicycles can fit into urban traffic.

right now i'm working on a bike for my wife, believe it or not she's never owned a bike of her own in her whole life. so i want it to be something nice but not intimidating; when i'm done with that i'll start another build, probably on my new road bike. that build will be more ambitious. :)

andré

Its funny that I'm still up having done more reading and research on retrofitting old bike frames...

I'm hoping to make some time this week to visit my cities 3 bike shops. I just want to check to see if any of them have the parts that I need rather than have to buy everything online. Supporting local bike shops (LBS) is like supporting our Peugeot vendors so I'm going to make an effort to see what they can do for me first before going online.

Rabin

Thank you Rabin! This is so awesome.

This is especially appealing because there are soooo many more Peugeot bicycles around than cars it seems. eBay and Craigslist are just chock full of Peugeots from the booming 70s and 80s. While I lean more towards originality, I have to admit the thought of getting an inexpensive Carbolite frame bike (of which there seem to be an endless supply) and making it a "resto-mod" much like you and Andre.

I ride a lot now, and on about 5 or 6 occasions I've had complete strangers walk by and say "that's a nice looking bike". Like seriously... I guess in some ways the color or overall appearance of it sort of stand out compared to most bicycles today. I can't wait until I can get the Galaxie out there. The only thing stopping me is a saddle and handlebar wrap. I really need to take care of those two piddly things, but it seems all of a sudden I'm surrounded by projects and don't know what to do next :P High quality problem I suppose.

I have to say that one of the coolest things about this forum is getting to share this crazy addiction called Peugeot...

I have many cars, a rare 89' Mont Blanc road bike, many Peugeot dia cast cars (1:43 and 1:24), a Scalectrix 308 rally car, and a pepper mill!

I guess the next progression will be a model collection forum, but the pepper mill forum will be a stretch!

Rabin