Giving a 405 Sport Wagon another chance

my3AWDgst

On 6/14/2016 at 1:03 PM, my3AWDgst said:
Finally this weekend I got real world results between these two engines. The 6 has always felt like it has more torque then MI but on another hand my MI felt like it has better top end but do keep in mined that my MI is running on link and E85. Factory claims 17 HP more on the 6 engine so naturally it should be quicker then MI.
First test was final gear test,we did WOT 60MPH-75MPH where the Wagon was in 6th and MI in 5th gear. My assumption was correct the 6 engine was pulling like a freight train on MI and it was pretty embarrassing as the 6 gain was substantial. Second test was WOT 3th gear pull 60MPH-90MPH and my assumption was correct again,this time MI was pulling on the 6 like a freight train. By the end of 3th gear MI was full length of a car ahead. I still need to perform 0-60 MPH test between the two.
These tests were performed away from public or any vehicles on the road where no one potentially could have needed hurt.

I have a feeling the mi16 will suffer in the 0-60 test because of the short gearing, you need third gear for 60 on a mi16 box where the gti6 will probably reach 60 in 2 gear, i'm really intrigued to hear the results, i one time beat a ferrari f430 in the city in a drag race in between the lights, it cost me a clutch but i won.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

As most of you know I was on vacation for 30 days and out of country so no real updates on my cars at the moment. 

Wagon was on the street with out battery tender and it started right up like a champ!!! However today third brake light assembly fell of :-( I'm so tired of CA 405 interior not sure what to do about it any more.... On a positive note I've ordered B.C coilovers for it :-)

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

BC's came in last week and I'm super stoked!!!

With some odd and unknown reason most Peugeot coilovers don't come with upper spring perch (spring seat) or camber plates regardless of brand.

306 rear shock mounting bolts are 12mm and 405's are 16mm so I'm gonna need to replace bushings or press out 12mm sleeves,drill out existing bushings and press in 16mm replacment sleeves.

I end up ordering front spring perch from BC that fits my Genesis and multiple other vehicles and I'm gonna reuse my existing camber plates. Hopefully all works out okay.

These coilovers are priced as other BR type coilovers just like ones for my Genesis and DSM,they all are $995 but these do not use rear springs,adjustment nuts,spring seats or camber plates and yet again prices are the same.

image.jpeg

image.png

Nice looking shocks, i like the black better than the bright yellow or red, this looks more stock, about the pricing i've seen this before, large manufacturers even out prices to be competitive, and make double profit on the units with less things in them, that covers them on more complicated units, keep us informed how it works out with the camber plates.

I agree Goce this looks way better then bright yellow.

Upper spring seats arrived and they are just about perfect fit. Center hole is 12mm and Peugeot shock shaft is 14mm so I just need to open it up for 2mm's and I got plenty of metal to spare after I drill the centet out.Later on I found out It's exactly same pice that's used for 14mm shock bodys and BC gets it done the same way I'll do it tomorrow.

Unfortunately I won't be able to use retaining nuts as threads are 12mm,however I do have a new set of 14mm's somewhere in my garage.

#SavoSpecatitagain

image.jpeg

Finally found some time to lower the rear. Lucky it's California car so getting T.B's out was extremely easy. Also found out that rear muffler baffles came a part which would explain rattling noise at idle. I'll visit parts cars once again tomorrow.

Rear end is lower then the front,I could quickly get the front more down but I really don't feel like slamming this car as well so I'll just bring the rear up for 10mm.

I was surprised too see that AVO rear shocks were shorter then stock.

Frim left to right.

405 stock

405 AVO

306 GTI BC

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I raised rear for about 10mm and added wheels spacers. 

I also replaced exhaust center section that was on my red car back in the day,luckily for me this center section was replaced few years back and it still looks new. I still need to get new rear muffler but for now I'm using Magnaflow that was on Nick's car.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Unbelievably as it might sound I've found set of Euro side skirts in US that were bargain!!!

They do need to be repaired in few places but overall I'm satisfied. He also had extra set of bumpers but unfortunately he kept it at he's local body shop where they got tired of tripping over it and on the end they end up in the dumpster. I wasn't happy when I received that information :-(

IMG_6067.JPG

Thanks Mike.

Today I installed front caliper seal kit,replaced engine oil and filter,replaced belt and pullyes and swapped back to MI16 front C.V axles. I also performed full inspection and everything looks great and no oil or coolant leaks :-)

I failed to install GTI6 brakes today because they don't fit :-( everything bolts up just fine,however with calipers mounted to knuckle it's pushing caliper 10mm forward which makes brake pad not to contact brake rotor for about 10mm. 

Solution for this problem is most likely 306 GTI knuckle. I'll report back when I get them.

Picture below is GTI6 rotor next to 405 rotor. Mine definitely looks like it has been below service limit for some time,curtesy of previous owner!!!

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG