Giving a 405 Sport Wagon another chance

my3AWDgst

Back to gas tank leak,right! 

I end up repairing it while the tank was still inside the car,end up raising up left side up in the air so remaining gas that could not be drained would end up on the right side.First I was using soldering iron to melt plastic around leak to seal it that way first before applying Petroleum safe JB weld,tell you what working with that soldering iron was scary but luckily it all ended well. 

After JB weld dried off and cured I painted it with black spray paint and filled it up with gas,it took about 11 gallons. 

So far I haven’t seen any leaks but I’ll keep checking in a few days.

1E4A4128-A1D6-4E6F-B633-45D3749812D3.jpeg

F6DA2047-381A-4E38-ADD1-1F642BCB7545.jpeg

53642346-BEBB-4712-A310-D095F600726C.jpeg

9C6E6C07-D65E-4463-B2E3-716659B46C64.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Last Sunday I was taking two cars to Radwood show and only one made it,fuel pump decided to quit on Wagon. I was really surprised that it was still original pump as I literally replaced everything on this car,somehow I missed inline fuel pump.

I ordered inline,in tank guel pump and fuel filter from Rock Auto and red parts car donated fuel pump to keep it going till new parts arrive.

I should add it failed only 10 miles away from my house.

A0E4B291-D018-4475-B7F5-63286585B2AC.jpeg

B68AF034-D6BA-479D-9EE7-2A5EBD3CA828.jpeg

Sometimes when making big changes to a vehicle like engine swaps or interior swaps we can forget the basics, i had this happened to me just after i bought my silver Mi16x4 thankfully i'm good at figuring tings out, and got my car going with couple taps on the underside of the fuel pump mount, drove it like that for a week hitting the fuel pump mount in traffic when it died and replaced the pump with a new one. Savo, do you know how many miles are on the pump, that rotor is worn down to the core.

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately I never had a chance to modify GTI6 front brakes to make them fit and front brakes could not take no more abuse so I just ordered factory replacement trough Rock Auto. Rotors were only $12 each and pads were $14, I also end up getting new slide pin boots, slide pin bolts and little screws that hold rotors in place.

018C0DEB-F783-47FC-A111-4917C61D3581.jpeg

3FA5219B-5177-4A04-AA29-8DA6CD94AF9C.jpeg

CE396E71-764A-4794-B8FD-54AC99983A81.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 7:36 AM, Bean said:

Looks great Savo! Althought this a rare repair to see you do where the parts haven't been powdered, painted, or polished before reinstall!

Love this wagon - Such a cool build.

Rabin

Thank you sir, I should add that I replaced all four tires and alignment lasted Saturday. Still driving it every day about 300 miles a week.

C9FB3B79-ABAC-4BFF-8B90-439A22EB661A.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Power of google did it again! I’ll admit it took me a bit of time to find what can fit and here it is. I always new there is something out there that is straight replacement and they definitely did not made that many different types of compressors back in the day.

Luckily for me I found open box on Ebay for $80 and regular prices are around $220 and this is also Sanden unit.

I should probably add that on these Sanden units back head and front pulley’s are interchangeable. I also got new drive belt and ideler pulleys. Since this car is equipped with XU10J4RS engine compressor pulley is for six rib belt so I’ll only need to swap over back head and electrical connector.

You folks are very welcome ?

3881067B-95E9-4FAF-84B8-C0641893EA40.jpeg

E06638F7-DCB7-47BC-B639-2B8BAF03ADA3.jpeg

E7D8ED40-180E-43CE-B0EE-EB49D278F468.jpeg

25DD461C-5BE1-46B6-A8E5-DE18BCCC70A1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this, I had to use my front pulley as offset wasn't same and further research found that Sanden 8025 is equipped with correct pulley.

I vacuumed  entire system for three hours before filling it back up and needle stayed in same place for 6 hours. At that point I filled it back up with R134a.

I’m using it for two weeks now and it’s working great. 

• 11 months later...

WOW last post was January 19! I haven’t really driven it till last few weeks but I did do engine oil change and replaced subwoofer and new better subwoofer box. It’s retired from truck duty so rear trunk space is no longer important so upgraded was a do.

And yes Mike lid closes just fine, I’m holding it up so I can take picture of it ?

408EC12A-5BFA-4226-AB90-B0D8A365FA92.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on swapping real seat belts for those $%^^&*& automatic belts. I've had real 3-point belts in my Mi16s forever, but haven't found a set of real belts for my S wagon. So...first question - where did you get your real belts for your wagon? I've looked at a few online belt sellers but their belts are too long for 405 front seats. (I'm not sure WHY they won't sell belts longer than a stated length for a prospective buyer's car).

Second question - Peugeot factory manuals I have state a particular brand for 15-year lubricant for the track on the automatic belt. Not willing to search European dealers for that lubricant, I'm wondering what sort of lubricant it is (powdered graphite, 10W15, WD-40, sewing machine oil, bearing grease, etc.). The automatic belt in my wagon is pretty sluggish so I'd like to lube it up a bit but I don't know what sort of lube is suggested.

fs

I agree, except that I haven't been able to find another factory '89 seat belt to install into my wagon. A few years ago, when I had three 405s, my two Mi16s had 89 belts and my "poor ol'" wagon was, and still is, stuck with automatics. Maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough.

Or, it might be that I have too many non-vehicular projects going.

fs

Keep on with your 405s; lookin' good.

• 2 months later...

For few weeks now I noticed that my tachometer would not work at all times, at first I was suspecting faulty Spoox tachometer adapter for GTI6 engines but then I remember to try dash tap trick first ? and sure enough it would come back to life.

Today I visited the graveyard for spare clusters so I can swap out tachometer parts and when I was taking my apart I noticed that connector on tachometer circuit board was extremely loose and it was just about to fall off! I have no idea how did it came loose as mounting tabs were not broken and it clicked in just like it was made to do so, I gave it few wiggles and it was all good, stayed in nice and firm.

Once instrument cluster was installed I drove it around the block and everything was back to normal:-)

8AFDD950-14E8-48E8-8577-EEEA6B15BF75.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! I got my 406 HDI rotors and calipers from powder coater! These were at he’s place for about four months! We both forgot about this project ?few weeks ago he messaged me about none familiar parts and with title”these must be Peugeot parts ? is this yours?”

I got new hardware and rebuilt kit from UK, I definitely know what I’m up to this Saturday.

565502B6-2005-4626-8290-5B12BCDE7815.jpeg