Giving a 405 Sport Wagon another chance

my3AWDgst

I've got this Wagon running today. Started right up too,idle is perfect and no check engine light at all :-)

I had it running only for 10 minutes as I haven't wired engine fans do to lack of informations. Also I need to determine if resistance is the same on coolant,oil temperature and oil level senders. I haven't found any useful information on this and key board mechanics are not very helpful.

Another thing that I need to do is add fuse for fuel pump and once again no information on keep alive memory which will need to be fused as well.

I'm hoping to drive it by Saturday.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of these swaps are done on 205's that are race cars so no need for A/C or other stuff that us cry babies need here in us :-)

Nobody wants A/C on a swapped 205 or 309 GTI, the iron lump is heavy enough without that :P and first you would need to find a good swap candidate with a working A/C.

For the OBD thing in france before 1993 you don't even need a cat to pass the test so the first thing to do is getting a richer mixture for max power.

I figured out A/C wiring in that 8 pin connector my self. I'm surprised that various forums have no information on this and very little on OBD II socket.
I've made quick drawing but I don't have time to create Windows based file to make it look pretty. Hopefully next person may find this useful.
I did add 15A fuse for fuel pump as Motronic set up have fuel pump fuse in little fuse box by strut tower which is part of engine harness.

Another electrical issue that I came across on this swap is lack of information on KAM or constant 12+ at ECU as it's needed to retain memory after every key off cycle. From what have I seen is that ECU gets powered up with ignition switch live and goes dead after every ignition swich cycle.

I made a quick how to just in case if someone may need it in a future. I apologize for hand written diagram as at the moment I have no free time to make this on computer.

Pin #3 in small connector is White wire and it goes to ECU pin #50 (A/C ON) this wire needs to be shared with pin #6 in small GTI6 connector brown wire.This Brown wire goes to A/C compressor connector and it powers A/C compressor clutch (12V+)
Pin #4 in small connector is Green wire and it goes to ECU pin #26 (A/C compressor ON)

Also diagram below explain how to connect your fan switch. With out it with ignition on or engine running your cooling fans will be in default mode and ON at full speed.

Both of these wires are located in same MC3A connector in pin #B1 and pin #B2.
Connect your GTI6 Brown A/C cooling fan sensor to US 405 MC3A connector.

Small 8 pin connector pin#1 yellow wire to MC3A connector pin B1 (red wire)
Small 8 pin connector pin#2 yellow wire to MC3A connector pin B2 (red wire)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

^^^back view of MC3A connector.

image.jpeg

^^^Front view of MC3A 13 pin connector.

image.jpeg

^^^GTI6 body side 8 pin connector.

image.png

^^^ GTI6 ECU pin out.

In Europe in the 80' and 90' people living in south countries were poorer so they needed A/C but most of them couldn't afford it. Also in their home market carmakers tended to make cheaper cars with less options so even in south France it was someting hard to find except in bigger cars like the 605.

What you will find on the other hand was a lot of sunroof equipped cars, the factory sunroof in a 205 was as big as possible:

sdc10410.jpg

The wagon must be really fun to drive, 8 years of improvements between the "first draft" XU9J4 and the XU10J4RS plus the 6 speed to keep it in the powerband.

I'm really surprised how the ride quality has improved after suspension work. This car was riding really bad and I new after all that work it wilk ride much better but honestly I haven't expected to be this nice. This car is actually enjoyable to drive now :-)

Tomorrow or Wednesday I'll take it to emission test.

That's a pass :-) I would lied if I would tell you guys that I wasn't worried not so much that would not pass the sniffer but the question what's a 6 speed and big shiny engine doing here?

Also today I went to DMV to pay registration fees as it's registered till this Saturday. Speaking of taking it down to a wire lol

post-1395-0-69143400-1448488250_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Few weeks ago I noticed oil leak so long story short driver side sway bar end rubbed trough 6th gear end cover. No forums or keyboard tuner have mentioned anything about this problem so I learned on hard way...as I usually do...

I end up cutting end of sway bar off and added 6mm spacer between frame and sway bar bracket on both sides. Now that gave me plenty of space and no rattle or noises are present.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

well, you know what they say about being a pioneer and being out front, ahead of everybody -- you get your arrows in the back, not in the chest. :)

seriously, though, thanks for writing this stuff up. i don't think i'll ever swap the engine on my mi16, but i could see doing a 6-speed swap some time...

andré

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Installed these Euro headlights and I love them.

I also added marker light inside headlights as they did come with socket and I made side marker light to work as turn signal and marker light like in Europe. All of my exterior lights are LED and H4 HI-LO 8000K HID.

Tomorrow I'm getting LED fog lamp bulbs.

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...