New family ride... 2006 V70R GT

Bean

Picked this car up this fall, and while it was THE worst buying experience I've EVER had - I absolutely LOVE this car. 2006 V70R with 84K miles at time of purchase, maintenance records since new, and it is in really nice shape. It also came with a second set of winter tires on factory Pegs, roof racks, trailer hitch and the luggage cover. Didn't get a chance to take proper pictures, but you can get the idea with cell pics:

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

Why was it the worst? After paying the woman with a bank draft I was driving with a friend in Calgary and the transmission acted up: It found a couple false neutrals and crunched into gear really hard. Scared the crap out of me! I had the pre-purchase car inspection done at a indy Volvo shop and it passed with flying colours, but now I thought the tranny was done and I owned a lemon. Big drama followed trying to get out of the deal when she first said she'd give the check back, but reneged when I took the car back to her house, and after I had booked a flight home. (Did I mention the 14 hr bus ride to get it?)

Shop that inspected it went through it again, and I researched the crap out of the issue. Shop did some tests, and added some shift additive, but the car was shifting well for them - so I flew back the following weekend and drove it home without event. Researching the issue the transmission valve body was upgraded for 2007, and the fix for the problems I was having is to replace the valve body. Sourced the new parts via FCPEuro since they matched TASCA's pricing, and I now have the new valve body and the fancy pan adhesive specified by Volvo. I still need to do the work, but the issue only becomes an issue when the car has been running a while (tranny is hot essentially) and you use WOT. Part throttle it works beautifully, and with as fast as this car is- it's really very rare that I ever even need to floor it.

Original plan is to sell one of the V70R's after we got to drive them to see which we liked, but my wife agreed to keep both of them until I get a DD Peugeot built up again. (89' is retired from winter duty!) Interestingly enough she prefers the taller driving height of the 2000 V70R, so she's driving that. BTW - The '00 turned out wicked after the repairs were completed - so we have two very nice Volvo's as the family rides this winter.

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

Rabin

Wheels are OEM 17x7.5" BBS "Propus C" wheels from the newer C70's. And thanks - I always get great compliments on it as its a stunner in person.

DD plan right now is to fix my 86' 505 GL-Turbo up to be my DD / event car next summer. I bought Mike Aube's 505 Turbo parts, so the 86' will get the Evo body kit, lowering springs, refreshed used N9TE with Dani head I already had with the custom turbo...

Once the DD 505 is done, one of the V70R's has to go... 06' will likely stay, but we both love the 00' car. If I install the mods I already have for it and have it reflashed - it might be the car we keep. As it is now though - the 06' is leagues better in almost every way.

Rabin

Thanks Savo!

AWD is mandatory for our winters, and both Volvo's have proved exceptionally good when its slippery. The only downside with the new car is its quite low... Looks great and handles well, but a big dump of snow and it'll be a snow plow!

Since these pics the 06' got smoke tinted 3M on the headlights, yellow 3M on the driving lights, and 3M on the hood, door handles, and door edges. Paint was a little too pitted to do the bumper, so that will just get repainted down the line when its more obviously pitted up.

Rabin

• 10 months later...

One year update - I finally got around to installing the valve body, and flushing out the transmission with Redline ATF D4. After driving the car this past week I can offically say the transmission is fixed - WOOT! It was a huge relief that the VB was the fix, and the car is running and driving great on the new Michelin AS3's.

While I had it in my buddy's garage I fixed all the known issues: Right front fog light was unplugged behind the bumper cover, parking sensor #2 was toast, and what I thought was a crooked hitch was actually just the bumper cover that wasn't fitted properly. (Fixed that with new OEM clips and a new rear part that fastens the bumper cover to the impact structure.) I also changed the Haldex fluid and filter, Redline lightweight shock proof in the bevel gear, and adjusted the lights properly after I did a SUM suspension recalibration.

When the alignment was done after the new tires they noticed the driver front strut had started to leak, and just yesterday I scored a new set of 4C adjustable dampers for a great deal. Just ordered new spring seats and strut bearings from FCP, and I have 2 sets of General Altimax winter tires coming as well for both Volvo's.

It's been a pricey couple days - but worth it in my opinion as the car is just a blast to drive now that the transmission is 100%.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

Cool looking car! I'm moving out east next year so I'm looking to get an AWD.

My folks have had nothing but trouble with their '02 V70XC (notorious for its transmission).

I'm looking for a nicely-sorted S60R with a 6-speed manual.

Here's one that I found for a fantastic price, going to check it out this weekend.

I really, really want to avoid selling my E30 so I'm looking into storing options for that.

It's RWD, low, and I'd hate seeing it collect rust/damage when I move 2,000 miles east.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4772370190.html

Cheers,

S.

Pay the extra $$ and get an 06/07R - it's well worth the slight premium they carry for the improvements made...

I LOVE my wagon. Fitted 215-55-17 studded General Altimax (aka Gislavid 3's) to the stock 8" alloys and it's insanely good on our very slippery roads now.

I have to ask though - Why the plan to go out East from Cali? Aside from the ridiculous heat, it seems like a nice place to be.

Rabin

Pay the extra $$ and get an 06/07R - it's well worth the slight premium they carry for the improvements made...

I LOVE my wagon. Fitted 215-55-17 studded General Altimax (aka Gislavid 3's) to the stock 8" alloys and it's insanely good on our very slippery roads now.

I have to ask though - Why the plan to go out East from Cali? Aside from the ridiculous heat, it seems like a nice place to be.

Rabin

Well it sold before I had the chance to see it. <_<

I'm genuinely considering doing a S70 T5M + snow tires for winter, as well, since it seems more along the lines of my budget.

Chances are though that I might trade my cousin for his '98 V70XC (Black on Taupe).

Same color combo as my parents '02 V70XC but a hell of a lot less problems since its on the X70 platform.

sina is close to graduating, and i believe that he has an excellent job opportunity that is driving him eastward. in the US, we refer to this as "selling out." :)

andré

I am indeed selling out :D - but hope to make it back to California in the next 2-4 years.

-S

I personally think the P80 wagons are a better option than the sedans. XC70's are nice, but if you want bulletproof get the T5m. With good winter tires they are still very very good winter cars.

I had an olive 98' T5m V70 briefly, and it was awesome.

Rabin