504 Ti engine with full engine management

Stewart

The engine is about finalised in assembly now. You can see the sleeve sitting in the block with a pink sealer around the base. No sleeve seal. The liner shoulders were machined to suit the decked block for a 0.005" protrusion. Block was decked 0.020" which gave us 0.020" positive deck height with this piston.

Notice the head dowell fitted as well. Final static compression is 10:1 with 88.5mm pistons and no flycuts in the piston crown needed for valve to piston clearance.

0.037" between piston and valve at TDC with valve open 0.077" on cold clearance settings. Gapless second rings as well.

The new valve springs are 80% more seat load than the poor old worn out Pug units. 40% more than the new spring, factory spec.

post-1370-0-60449800-1376902890_thumb.jp

post-1370-0-77780400-1376902904_thumb.jp

Looks awesome! I can't wait to hear your impressions once installed and running.

I've always loved the XN1/6 motors, so curious what this one puts out. Curious how much a rebuild like this would run cost wise?

Rabin

We are actually adding the costs up today, so I'll let you know! It is being done for an historic category but a nice little T25 or the like would give some real grunt! I bought the Dynosim 5 last week so it'll be cool to try this engines numbers into it.

• 4 years later...

I had better update this as it seems some people are interested in the project. I managed to achieve the finished build and run it up on an engine testbed I made. We had knock control, data logging on board, wasted spark, 4 x 45mm throttles and some beautiful noises from the engine at wide open throttle. 

I managed to run it up to 4500rpm wot and measure torque at 150 lb ft. It overwhelmed my test gear then! Some data also coincided extremely close with the Dynosim 5 software once I tuned the mixtures. 12.5 : 1 AF with 10.03: 1 CR at ignition point of 35 deg, no knocking on ulp. Image belows compares in light colour the predicted ignition and torque with the actual ignition I ran at 4500 rpm and a prediction in dark red of the torque I might expect using complex mathematics. I measured 150 lb ft. that afternoon. Amazing! If anyone is interested on the methods I used to scratch tune this I can post up the details . 150 lb ft equates to 128 hp at 4500 rpm. The std Ti had 110 hp ( advertised) at 5600 rpm. I have another build on at the moment which will have Webers and a programmable distributor instead. I have the maps in my laptop and hard drive for reference.

JEN BAT XN1.PNG

Some images of the build and test bed I knocked up for initial scratch mapping. I had a lab power source hooked up and then tuned dwell and injector deadtime down to almost 6 volts up to 15 volts. That made the engine start beautifully. The white graph is the tuned in ignition map, TPS to RPM. The  blue blue graph is Dynosim 5 ignition figures for use in the Simulation. You can see the ECU at WOT and 4250 to 4750 35 and 36 degrees respectively. No knocking recorded or heard via electronic stethoscope. Also recorded on a digital strain gauge 150 lb ft at 4500 at 12.5 af ratio. Simulator worked . I had no alternator fitted but did use the water pump in the test.  You can see my custom valve springs and retainers , chrome moly pushrods, and aren't those blue trumpets cool? Valve lift is 0.440" . 275 seat to seat and 231 at 0.050". I made a cover to blanket the alloy inlet runners which keeps the inlet at 50 to 60 in the manifold. I used a Hitachi  Optical CAS from a nissan it sits tightly under the manifold where the distributor was. Wasted spark from Subaru Liberty  with coil dumb coil drivers inside coil pack. Mi 16 injectors. Coolant temp fitted under thermostat in water pump from 505/306/405 CTS and air temp from 306 throttle body. I fitted a fuel tank purge valve as the fast idle air inlet which was pulsed by ECU and closed at 50 C. Engine is patiently waiting at owners shed to fitted to a rally preped 404 . 4 wheel disc brakes, hypoid diff, BA7/5 gearbox. I also made up a replacement driveshaft for a couple of his cars using 505 shafts from a wagon. We fit a solid crucifix uni from a small ford into a 505 uni and use the 505 splines on our shortened tailshaft. I break unis easily in my 404 and this idea seems to be working pretty well at the moment. 

I Phone photos 004 (3).JPG

I Phone photos 003 (3).JPG

I Phone photos 001 (2).JPG

I Phone photos 006.JPG

I Phone photos 001 (4).JPG

I Phone photos 008.JPG

I Phone photos 003 (2).JPG

I Phone photos 001.JPG

• 4 months later...

Sorry. RPM . Here it is again. It has 4 x 45mm throttles,  2x 2 batch fired injectors and wasted spark. My exhaust was the larger bore factory manifold and a not so pretty large pipe into an old Landcruiser muffler, so there is probably more left. All things considered , until 4500 rpm WOT the prediction matched my torque readings withing a few lb. Air temps were high at 55 to 60 deg C.

Engine needs to run in too. I'm very happy with it. A sound so glorious that men from the neighbourhood just wanted to sit in the door and listen! I purchased Pipemax a while ago so the next version of this engine should be a little better.  The inlet ports were filled where the injector relief was and just gently finished . The exhaust ports got a lot of material removed though. A little rally 404 sedan should  boogie with it.

If you check the second image the torque I measured at 4500 rpm was 145 lb, with the prediction saying 150. With exhaust system fitted there is every chance of the  predicted at power at 6500 rpm. 

JenBatt Torque.PNG

jen batt power.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi stew are you using original valve on the engine or have you upgraded those. Is the cam similar to the one you did for me. I think that I might have to go with four throttle bodies after seeing this set up . Do you think the position of the injectors gives a better air/fuel mix from factory Peugeot which I'm using 

regards drew

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Drew, I'm using standard valves.  I have another getting built up with more fine tuning in the port dimensions and valve head shape.

This cam is a product of Owen W ( aussiefrogs) and Camtech. 622/107. Your cam is one of my set ups ground by Tighe Cams. for street use. The 622/107 by Camtech is a nice set up which is almost a Tighe 240 with a little more lift.

Your cam is Intake 19/58  0.455" lift Exhaust 70/21 0.474" lift, long inlet and plenum. The throttle body engine is Intake 30.5/64.5 0.444" lift Exhaust 66.5/28.5 0.444" lift and 4 x 45 mm throttles. I have a heat shield over the top of the inlet manifold to keep the runners hot as well. 

Below in red and green is what I think would be your engine compared to in the dark red and dark green the tested engine I got tuned to 4500rpm with the predictions very close to reality. You can see how much more low rpm your set up has here.

SnipImage (2).JPG