shift stick bushings

I know this has been posted in the past but no answer. My shift stick on my 505 turbo seems vague, I think it probably (or possibly) needs new bushings, but not sure where to find them (if they are available).

Maybe someone has another solution, it's much more fun to drive a car with manual transmission with a precise shift stick!

It depends on what exactly is loose. The shifter base, and the shifter pivot bushings can really affect shifter feel, and then to a somewhat lesser extent the shift rod bushings.

Once you know which, you can usually figure out some work around fixes to make it good as new. Bryan Cohn for instance used a big hiem joint to replace a bushing on the shifter and it really made a nice difference. http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1998-shift-linkage-upgrade/?hl=shifter

Once you have it sorted and in good shape - they really do have one of the nicest, and most precise shifter's of any car I've driven.

Rabin

you can try tealmax lion (ebay seller); both sina and i have bought stuff from him, very honest and reliable, he's in france but his shipping is very reasonable and he speaks english...

you can also check with madhu, rob courtier @ javel, etc. -- you can find them in the "vendors" section on the main page. shoot either of them an email, they're both very responsive and helpful.

andré

As Rabin said, it depends on what is loose. I think the first thing to go is usually the the ends of the linkage. I have gotten those two rods from Madhu and Western Hemispheres. The other place that gets loose is the bottom pivot of the stick shifter. I've not been able to find bushings for that but adding a couple of fender washers from the hardware store took all the flop out of mine. I think the alternative for that would be a new shift lever which, at least for mine, is available.

Thank you all, this forum is great. I called Madhu, and I removed the stick shift boot to try to determine what is loose, not that easy. I have mostly horizontal (or left to right) play, almost 2 inches on each side when in gear. I don't have too much north-south play. By deduction I would say it's more the shifter base and pivot bushings that are loose, but hard to say without removing the whole console.

Console isn't too bad to remove, but it does have to come out to see what's wrong.

A couple options for redoing that bushing would be to see if you could set up a jig and fill in the void with 3M window weld urethane. Another option would be to use that rubber tape that's used for fixing leaking pipes to build up the bushing until it fits tight again.

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

welcome back, harvey! thanks for adding your location to your profile. your car looks great in that avatar picture, must be that mild SC climate! do you have any pics posted anywhere, or could you post some here? we love looking at peugeots around here... :)

anyhow, here are the parts suppliers mentioned upthread:

madhu @ parts network -- has a ton of stuff, not everything is listed on his site so best to contact him via phone or email. can get just about anything!

rob @javel -- also has lots of stuff and can get lots of stuff, rob has forgotten more stuff about peugeots than most of us know. contact info at the link

western hemispheres -- primarily a citroen store but lots of peugeot stuff as well. miles who runs WH is very helpful

you could also check with nick cota, a frequent contributor to this forum; he and his family own a european car place in vermont and as a long-time peugeot dealer they have a great depth of knowledge about parts & availability.

some or all of these places should be able to get you new bushings.

btw -- have you worked on your taillights yet? the saddest day of any 505 ownship is the first time you take apart your taillights.... :(

andré

Back to the two shift rods and bushings replaced, where did you source these parts? I like the fixes suggested, but I also like the new parts if available. Thanks!

I got them from Madhu, the bushings were cheap but one horizontal link was more expensive, around $100 if I recall correctly. But made a big difference.

Have not gone into tail lights yet, but I plan on copying what was done in the photo instead of an LED changout. The car is all original and fairly complete with around 160,000 miles on it. Well, it is missing console buttons that quit some years back, has a cracked dash, ect.....but after I opted for an new paint job several years ago I have to recoup that investment and therefore am trying to keep it rolling. NO RUST, thank you South Carolina!

I slowly eliminate parts as they fail but so far nothing major. I think of it as a weight loss program staying lean and mean! This group may encourage me to step up to the next level and actually get some things working again.

Thanks for the info and the interest. -Harvey

Hi Harvey,

I find repairing, and sorting out issues therapeutic in a way, as well as he hunt for parts...

It certainly wouldn't be worth it if the car was a mediocre POS, but few cars are as good as a properly sorted 505, so I think they're well worth it.

I look forward to seeing pictures as well, and to hear how the tail lights work out. I'm a big fan of making systems better, and rewiring the board is a great way to eliminate pesky lighting issues.

Rabin

Thanks again to all. I am trying the sources now. By the way, some of you may have worked at dealerships back in the day, but I do have a "Peugeot Master Mechanic" just 10 miles down the road. There are only a few working vehicles still in the area so he is not so interested any more in keeping and finding parts.

He was a great source for years but now I just try and work through issues myself, but I can rely on him for major repairs if I can find the parts.