My 89 MI16

my3AWDgst

Sweet deal on the steering wheel - looks mint!

It's nice when your car gets appreciated, and your 405 is definitely a stand out.

It's taken a while but there's genuine appreciation starting to build for them.

Rabin

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I live in US now I'm one of those folks that don't care about fuel mileage as it really cheap compared to anywhere in the world,however I've had few people ask me about fuel mileage and price difference between 91 and E85.

This last weekend I took my mom to Monterey for her birthday and I actually tracked fuel mileage and cost. So here is the brake down.

544 miles,25.7 gallons used,$60.76 with price about $2.10 for one gallon.

Price of 91 octane for 25.7 gallons would cost me $82.24 so that's just about $22 more and for $22 of E85 I can get 10 gallons which it would take me to work and back entire week.

Now if you would divide 544 with 25.7 you would get 21.1 average MPG. Yes it's not impressive at all but remember that E85 vehicles are using 20-30% more fuel and this was with A/C running all the time,city and freeway driving all combined.

It depends on person on liking the results above,my point of view is worse gas mileage is ok with me as I pay less for E85 and I gain 100-105 octane out of it and I can run timing to the roof with out any knock. My last toon session I've seen 0 knock with only at midrange for quick split of second 0.5 degrees of knock.

So take this 91 fuel CA and shove it up your ..s

21.2 mpg (US gallon = 3.8L); 11L/100KM

I know E85 needs quite a bit more fuel to make similar power to premium, so I think you're doing pretty good to get that economy.

Rabin

MI16 gearing is terrible so to get anything decent of fuel mileage on Freeway is in forget about it territory. At about 75MPH engine is at 4000 RPM :-( it takes a lot of fuel too keep that RPM at that speed.

I got yesterday replacment stickers from France and I got made in France sticker from André.

I also picked up dial indicator,TDC locator and two different bases for dial insicator. I have Summit degree wheel as well.

Now Savo why do you need that? I've decided to upgrade camshafts,valve springs and use adjustable cam gears and these tools are necessary to degree camshafts. Why not just bolt them in? Yes I could but to get most out of them and more important to get perfect IDLE this is the step that is absolutely necessary.

Upgraded camshafts create lot less vacuum at idle and cam profile and overlap is very rough on idle and I don't want valve floats of any kined. I also plan to REV it up to 8000 RPM.

post-1395-0-20180900-1443879825_thumb.jp

post-1395-0-03721900-1443879948_thumb.jp

No doubt! Your 6sp in the wagon should hopefully help make highway cruising much nicer with lower revs.

Either of my Volvo's would do well to get 11L/100KM at 75 mph on premium, so considering you're turning 4000 RPM on E85 and getting that - It's awesome.

Rabin

Will you dyno the car stock before doing cams so you have a good baseline? Have you chosen which cams you want to use?

Rabin

In my opinion there is no need for dyno before and after Rabin,ECM link reads HP,TQ and airflow so it easy to see what have been gain or lost. I saved my last log to compare it to before and after camshafts upgrade. It's nice to have it side by side and compare when did I gain more airflow,has it dropped off on top end,more or less TQ at low-high RPM,gained more HP on low RPM and so on.

Now HP numbers are not 100% accurate but it's a great tool too know if you gaining HP or loosing when you go for a tune. Also ECMlink has time count built in so you can track it too see if it took less or more time to get to same point before and after tune.

And this key board tuner can actually proof it lol

That kind of insight you have in ECULINK was the only reason for suggesting the dyno - if you can plot that all over time - that's perfect.

Very impressed you going all motor with this car as well - but have to wonder if you would consider any bottom end mods to support bigger cams? (Specifically compression to make those wilder cams work better?)

If we lived closer together I'm pretty sure I would have already been working on a 505 Turbo / Mitsubishi / ECULink set up already! Anytime I free up will be spent coming up to speed on VEMS software.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

I order GTI6 intake manifold,GTI6 oil pan,GTI6 oil pump and GTI6 belt auto tensioner belt drive. With this I'll relocate my P/S pump up front like on GTI6.

I also got few days ago timing belt,W/P,tensioners and GTI6 battety-ECU box. I'll make engine harness shorter and ECU will be placed in same location as GTI6 engines,it ends up looking way cleaner and lot less wires lol.

I'm also thinking about 6speed swap as well.

hey savo, i remember you wrote a while back about trying upgraded alternators (i.e., alternators rebuilt to provide more than the stock 70-80 amps) on your mi16 but not having good luck with them. have you seen this valeo unit, rated at 150a? (this link goes to the oscaro.com site, which doesn't ship to the US, but the alternator is available elsewhere)

andré

hey savo, i remember you wrote a while back about trying upgraded alternators (i.e., alternators rebuilt to provide more than the stock 70-80 amps) on your mi16 but not having good luck with them. have you seen this valeo unit, rated at 150a? (this link goes to the oscars.com site, which doesn't ship to the US, but the alternator is available elsewhere)

andré

I haven't seen that yet but it looks like a quality part. Are you getting one?

GTI6 alternator can't fit MI16,mounting holes are very different.

savo, michal is talking about the GTI16, not the GTI6! i had to re-read his post a few times to figure that out..... :)

so no one is really saying that it wouldn't fit for sure...to answer your question, rabin, i'm thinking about it. getting this alternator would run me about US$300 once shipping is added, as compared to about $100 for a standard 80a unit. i've wasted more money on less, though, so i may end up getting one of these before it's all over. my current alternator works well so i don't need to replace it right away; if i attempt this alternator upgrade i'll write it up, of course.

andré