3 NOS Sunroof cables for sale - $300 (each) OBO

Tony O

Hey Guys (and gals)

(please read this somewhat long description before contacting me)

Like the title says, I have 3 NOS sunroof cables for sale. Two of them I have modified and

one of them is in unmodified NOS condition. The two I have modified I will warrant for one year

from the date of purchase. The other, I can either modify it for you or sell you, as is - your choice - no warranty.

I'm sure many of you are probably wondering why I've chosen to modify NOS parts. That's a good question which I will do my best to explain. Though these cables are NOS they have literally been sitting for over 20 years. Not only have they been sitting for that long but the cables came in a box (the original Peugeot boxes) which required them to be bent at a radius which IMO has contributed greatly to their frailty. (the pictures will hopefully help explain this much better than words alone). Anyhow, I couple years back I sent someone an NOS cable in it's original unopened box. I didn't even bother to open the box because I assumed there was nothing wrong with the cable as it was unused/unopened.. Well, long story short - the cable had to be returned to me because the sheath had been broken. When I got the parts back and examined the cable, the reason became clear. The cable (which most of you know are made of some not very pliant plastic) had been it's "boxed" position for so long that once you straighten it out, it was only a matter of time before the plastic will crack IMO. Hoping to avoid this same situation, I decided to mod 2 of the NOS cables. One of them (labeled cable #2 in the pics) was showing signs of exactly what I suspected - there was a tiny crack developing in the sheath which I'm sure would fail once it was installed. My mod involved putting a much better pvc sheath around the original sheath and using liquid nails to bond them together and then using hose clamps to seal it all up. I'm so confident that these are better than the unmodified NOS cables that I'm happy to give a 1 year warrant on the modded cables as I've already mentioned.

Without further adieu, here is a link to the photos of the various cables. I've done my best to put them in an order that seeks to explain what I'm talking about - namely the issue with NOS cables and how I modded them. Feel free to ask any questions and make comments. I've also included pictures of the NOS boxes just so people understand that these are indeed NOS and that I'm not trying to pull a fast one ;)

cheers

Tony

https://picasaweb.google.com/116400569354424146538/NOSSunroofCables505

Yup - looks good.

I've been thinking of ways to do something similar, so it was nice to see how you did it. Once I get to strip my 89' down for paint - re-engineering the cable sheath will be one of the main things I do before installing dynamat.

Rabin

Hey Rabin.

I chose a couple of different methods to repair them even though basically they are the same. Cable 1, I actually ground down the tapered segments of the cable because otherwise I would not be able to use hose clamps on them. The hose clamps would just slide off until it got to the "round, non tapered part". On cable 2 I used hose and hose clamps but the hose was so tight around the cable that even on the taper, the hose clamp isn't really doing much and shouldn't slip. Of course, liquid nails on the inside of the pvc also helps with any concerns of that.

Also, Stefan sent me this link on his sunroof cable repair - http://imageevent.com/dkstef/sunroofrepaironmy89505turbo5spee;jsessionid=6jj7z8c3i1.goose_s

He went all out and used braided steel cable so you might want to check out his repair.

cheers

Tony

Hey Tony -

I'd be interested in picking up some sunroof components (including a cable most likely), however I won't be back home until June.

I'm going to have to remove my sunroof when I send the car in for paint & body so I'd like to contact you beforehand.

Where are you located? I will need to install a new seal on the sunroof and would like to tackle everything else up there at the same time, however it'd be my first time working with the sunroof.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone else have a sunroof gasket that leaks air, very annoying noise!. Any fixes? I once saw a rubber restoration product that would swell and restore rubber to a newer condition but it was expensive and I did not think it would last after more exposure to the elements. I also have a broken cable or something, I just operate mine manually with the interior cover removed.

Any replacement gaskets out there? I have tried adjusting the sunroof brackets to push forward a little harder but I must not be doing the right thing. -Mitch

Does anyone else have a sunroof gasket that leaks air, very annoying noise!. Any fixes? I once saw a rubber restoration product that would swell and restore rubber to a newer condition but it was expensive and I did not think it would last after more exposure to the elements. I also have a broken cable or something, I just operate mine manually with the interior cover removed.

Any replacement gaskets out there? I have tried adjusting the sunroof brackets to push forward a little harder but I must not be doing the right thing. -Mitch

If I remember correctly I have NOS seal stil (can't remember if it was used on the blue 86' when it was painted), although I don't think my old man want to part with it unless the price is right. I'll double check and confrim.

I also need a new gasket but haven't worked very hard at finding one. As a stopgap measure (pardon the pun), I put a lightweight 15 speed bicycle inner tube in along the front. It was quick and dirty. You simply leave the sunroof partially open. Then lay it out, and stuff it down. It handled wind noise and water intrusion. The sides are a tougher fix than the front. I'd like to get a piece of an old original sunroof seal to see if something can be fabricated, as a more permanent solution would be better because I want to be able to open and close it without a hassle. Anybody have a like one-inch piece from the scrappers?

Bill

If I remember correctly I have NOS seal stil (can't remember if it was used on the blue 86' when it was painted), although I don't think my old man want to part with it unless the price is right. I'll double check and confrim.

OK, I would be interested although mine is still one piece and looks good, it must have shrunk. I bet you could start an auction for a new gasket if you still have it. I really have not tried yet to find one. Thanks, Mitch.

I also need a new gasket but haven't worked very hard at finding one. As a stopgap measure (pardon the pun), I put a lightweight 15 speed bicycle inner tube in along the front. It was quick and dirty. You simply leave the sunroof partially open. Then lay it out, and stuff it down. It handled wind noise and water intrusion. The sides are a tougher fix than the front. I'd like to get a piece of an old original sunroof seal to see if something can be fabricated, as a more permanent solution would be better because I want to be able to open and close it without a hassle. Anybody have a like one-inch piece from the scrappers?

Bill

Bill you have me thinking, maybe I could remove the gasket and wrap some thin rubber on first, then push mine back on. That should keep it in place to open and close. I am thinking without looking first if that would work.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure I have some gaskets for the sunroof - NOS. I sold one of them to Sina and I think we discovered there were two kinds - one was all one piece and the other style was two pieces. Send me a pm and I'll see if can take care of you and get back to you with a price. I know they aren't that cheap and pretty hard to find at this point. One the plus side, they will likely outlast your car ;)

cheers

Tony