82 505 TD Unfunded Project

Peugeottogo

Well, this thread is well past due for an update!

There hasn't been much activity on repairs or upgrades as the car has been in daily service without issue.

This month marks 24,000 miles and 5 years of ownership. Speaking of ownership, this 505 was intended for my son to drive. Well he did for a short period to learn to drive a manual transmission :)

He's moved on to something more sporty for his age, a Porsche 944

Being a Peugeot enthusiast for life, I simply took this 505 for myself as my daily commuter!

The latest is the need for rebuilding the steering rack hydraulics.

The mechanical rack components are in good shape but the hydraulics were suffering failure.

The steering valve and the steering ram were both well worn and leaked profusely. Got by for a year using stop leak :)

As you can see the rack assembly is quite a mess from years of service. In fact, you can see the steering ram has no bushings remaining!

New bushing for the ram as well as a reseal kit for the steering valve were installed. No photos of the post repairs but you get the idea.

So yes, we are rolling again

IMG_5762bb.gif

IMG_5795bb.gif

IMG_3302.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm super bad for posting updates 'cuz there aren't any - but sure is nice to see new ones from others.  :)

Curious on the pinion valve reseal - Was it the alloy body pinion valve or the metal one?  Heard the alloy one doesn't reseal well, but the metal pinion valve rebuilds well - curious which you had and how you found it resealed?

Rabin

Rabin, its the longer steel body version steering valve.

First 100 miles with not a drip or weep

Very easy to reseal once you get the assembly removed lol

The retaining nut on the end of the bolt that anchors the steering ram to the cross member is a bit of a challenge.

Its partially blocked by the oil pan, recessed in the cross member and you can't get a wrench of any sorts on the bolt head due to it being between the ram cylinder and the steering rack housing. You can get vise grips on the bolt through the open channel of the cross member to assist :)