USDM Peugeot diesels?

noahwins

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is too much of a newbie question but were Peugeot diesels offered in the US between 1989 and 1991? I've read a dozen wikis and fan sites and I can't seem to suss out an answer. I know very, very few Peugeots were sold in the US towards the end of the run here -- is it even possible to find these cars for sale anymore?

hi noah, welcome! no question is too noob (speaking as someone who asks lots of noob questions :) ).

1986 was the last year that peugeot sold diesel-engined cars in the US. the brochures for model year 1987 featured diesels, but none were ever imported to the US.

between 89 & 92, peugeot mostly sold the 505 wagons and the 405 models here in the US. the 505 sedan was not offered here after 1990. peugeot continued to sell diesel versions of the 505 elsewhere...there was a diesel version of the 405 that was quite good, but it was never offered here.

hope this helps. are you looking for a car?

andré

Yes - sadly we missed out getting the later TD cars that were intercooled... I have seen a later car offered in the US for sale that was an import, but the 86 cars did get the 4sp automatic, 2,5L XD3T engine, and the series 2 dash which made it a much more modern car compared to the older cars.

Finding a good, well maintained one will be the tough part, but when I found my basket case 86 505 TD wagon I had to jump on it due to it's rarity. Not sure if you saw my build thread, but I hope to restore my car with significant improvement in power, emissions, and NVH.

Rabin

Thank you, that's too bad. I was looking for a candidate for a diesel engine swap into my compact truck, but due to the tightness of regulations here in California, I thought the only two candidates for donor vehicles would be a 1989+ Mercedes or a 1989+ Puegeot. I thought there was a chance we got the Peugeot diesels after 1989 in the US. But now I think it's either an MBZ or nothing for me.

As a Francophile and car enthusiast , I've always had a soft spot for French cars. Peugeot rally cars were so cool!

Years ago, I almost sentimentally bought a rusting heap of a 505 before a friend talked me out of it.

What are the rules that prevent the use of an older diesel? Does the engine have to be the same age or newer than the truck? Not sure what truck it is, but have you thought about the Cummins 4BT?

The MB 5 cylinder would be a nice choice as well, but not sure what kinds of issues or solutions you have for mating the engine to the tranny or if you're swapping the tranny as well.

I have a feeling that if my mods go well on my 2.5L XD3T - it's going to surprise a lot of people that think old Peugeot diesels are slow. :) There's so much cross over with what the VW IDI guys are doing, that has never been done on a Peugeot. With way more displacement - it should be a monster while at the same time being just as fuel efficient and even smoother.

Rabin

Yeah, I spoke to the state smog referee today who explained what I have to do.

It's legal for me to convert my 1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max BUT I have to find a motor out of a vehicle that's 1989 or newer, it has to be a rear wheel drive vehicle (like my truck, it can't be out of a FWD vehicle), the vehicle has to be in the same weight class as my truck (no huge 10.654 liter diesel out of a Ford F9001 or a 4 cylinder turbo diesel out of a box truck). Finally, it has to have been sold in the US, not just North America.

So it's pretty stringent. This limits my choices to Mercedes only as far as I can tell unless I'm forgetting something. No Peugeot diesel for me! :unsure:

all very interesting...i assume that your pickup is a petrol version, because 89 diesel-engined cars & light trucks don't have to be smog-tested in california...so how would the DMV know if you swapped your engine out, or not? i had understood that many of these eighties and nineties mitsu trucks came with diesels, albeit a pretty low-powered one...

i had not thought it was legal to convert a petrol-engined vehicle to diesel here in CA...

andré