Brake compensator valve

ahing6

Hi all it's been long time since i visited forum. My 505 was down for a while almost gave up on it but ........ just can't bring myself to part with it. Such a joy to drive and also unique and stands out in crowd of newer cars.

Anyway i just finished overhauling brakes...new pads, seals, etc. Only one thing have to get changed and that's rear brakes compensator valve. It's starting to weepy leak....and can't find a unit for sale.

So to anyone on the forum if u have any links to a supplier with this part i will be grateful for any info.

Was also wondering if an after market part is available which i doubt.

Can it be eliminated and will this cause rear wheels to lock up for eg in a quick brake situation with no load in rear of car and in wet conditions?

Its only matter of time before line pressure makes weep turn to full drip drip....then more down time....ugh...

Hi

I just replaced my compensator with a 3 way tee from Fedhill.com. It is expensive at 20.00 plus shipping but it is hard to find 10 mm thread and DIN flare fittings. I have no issues with the brakes and hope to get the ABS fixed and this will not be an issue.

If you have trouble getting the item please pm.

Arun

There are many "T" type adapters already on cars, so if you have wrecking yards, or similar places you can often find similar components that will allow you to eliminate the compensator valve.

Peugeot is the only car I've ever seen that adjusted the brake bias to the rear based on load height, but many have replaced it like Arun says with no noticeable affect at all. In the wet or slippery conditions you might have a problem, and in that case a separate brake bias valve, or some cars even have a set pressure valve for the rear brakes that you might be able to use instead... (I know Porsche cars use a pressure valve to limit pressure to the rear calipers)

Rabin

It's true that by this time, most of the original rear brake proportioning valves have stopped working. Often they get frozen in a mid-laden position, so replacing it with a simple "tee" makes no noticeable difference in braking, and in some cases is actually an improvement

Back when I worked on these cars I replaced a couple of them and adjusted the actuating lever according to the shop manual. When operational, it really does give the brakes a better feel. Initial brake dive was reduced and overall the car felt more planted while braking.

You got to hand it to Peugeot... Today most cars come with electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD), but Peugeot was doing this with a simple mechanical system decades before.

a little research....

peugeot calls this part "regulator, brake pressure"--- part number for the 505 sedan is 4861.18. also used in some of the later 504s. here's a picture from the parts microfiche:

PhotoJan1722218PM_zps3412a6d6.jpg

if yours has gone bad (leaks), you have a couple of options:

1) buy a replacement part. i did a bit of quick research, couldn't find the peugeot part (guess it's NLA) but there are a number of aftermarket units available for our cars (ATE, Bendix, TRW, etc). all of the vendors i found are overseas (UK, France) but some ship internationally. for anyone interested in pursuing this option, PM me and i will send you my results

2) have your old one rebuilt, apparently some 504/505 owners in australia have done this. it would be a matter of finding a machinist you trust, willing to do the work. best bet is probably finding someone who does brake work -- master cylinders, etc.

FWIW, the wagons use a different part, 4861.20. i believe rob at javel has at least one, also available at WH

andré

Last time I addressed this I was in a bind, so I removed the piston and mig welded the end shut... :) Instant and cheap "T".

I'd much prefer to have a functioning brake pressure regulator however so I PM'd you Andre.

Rabin

Hey thanks much for suggestions and help guys. Think i may try the mig weld shut and instant 'T' option with a spare unit i have for now until I find some sort of functioning one.

So sure Andre any info you find will be appreciated, but i will also continue to search see what's available.

I remember reading about a manual brake proportion adjuster mostly used on race cars but line runs through car floor with adjustment valve...? Is this correct...?? Maybe this not suited for regular street.....but images of standing burn outs with no pressure to rear brakes come to mind........heh heh heh... B)

ahing6 -- i will send you some of my research via PM...i haven't found any of these items in the US, but there are some merchants in the UK and on the european continent that offer them. it may be possible to find these parts in argentina (which has a large peugeot cars/parts market), i haven't checked there yet.

also -- from what i understand, the regulator/compensator valve used in the earlier 504 models was similar to the later part but the hard brake lines on those early cars were single-flared, while the later 504s and the 505s use double-flared ("metric") lines...so if you can only find the unit for the earlier cars, you may be able to install it on your car with some modifications.

if you look at the thread on aussiefrogs that i linked to (above), you will see that there doesn't appear to be a rebuild kit of new seals available for these valves....some of the guys in australia have rebuilt their valves by machining them to a slightly larger size such that they can accept off-the-shelf seals...depending on your mechanical aptitude or the machining services you have access to, that may also be an option...

andré

I have recently acquired a couple of these, NOS. Not particularly cheap though--$205.00 each.

Brian Holm

www.peugeotparts.us

Hi Brian at $205 it really is kind of steep but i guess it's not a part that needs changing that often.

Well am using the spare valve welded shut for now.

I am also looking for a power steering ram for the 505.

Do you have any and what's cost?

Some of these 20+yr old parts are ready for retirement, can't complain..... compared to 4-5yr old modern car part failures .

Roger.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...