my 505 GL 1982

my problem regarding adjust valve and ignition timing

about where's the mark for ignition timing

on the body engine

i've tow screw on front the pully

where can i adjust for ignition timing

i hope that gave you cooperation

Welcome to the forum Nasser!

You will need an induction timing light in order to set your timing - do you have one or can you get one?

The front pulley will have two notches on the edge closest to the timing chain cover. There will also be a pointer or a line on the timing chain cover. With the induction timing light sensor on the #1 spark plug (closest to the flywheel), you idle the car and point the light at the pulley and you will see the marks in reference to the pointer.

Loosen the distributor and rotate until the 10 degree (guessing it's the same as my XN1) line is lined up with the pointer on the timing chain cover.

That is a very quick description, but there will be much better demos online if you search.

Rabin

thanks mr rabin for your interest

Unfortunately I dont've timing light . and which's best one and how much?

But is there another way ?

my engine is like your xn1... i've on the front pully two notches but back of some not behind

I hope that my words will be understood

thanks for all

nasser

You will need a timing light. Any induction timing light will work, even the cheap ones aren't bad. You can time by ear, but usually only an experienced mechanic can get it right. Two notches - 1 will be TDC, the 2nd is the timing mark you use to line up to the timing cover when the timing light is flashing on it.

The mark you need to find is on the timing cover.

Rabin

hi nasser, welcome!

since your english is very good, you should check out the peugeot info site (run by friend of this forum toni l. in finland). he has downloadable versions of many of the factory manuals, including the one covering the xn1 engine. there is a section on adjusting the ignition timing that includes drawings.

hope this helps.

andré

ps -- if you have the opportunity, please post pictures of your car! we never get tired of looking at peugeots, especially 505s in exotic places (like egypt)... :)