My new car

norcal505

Seems pretty excessive, having 3 cars, eh? I don't want to even think about it.

My grandfather passed this past May. I was left his 1992 Mercedes Benz 300E, which is literally mint... and under 100k on the clock. I booked myself a one-way ticket from San Diego to Memphis for the first day of Winter Break, so I'm going to be taking a week to drive the car back, across the country. I figured I'd give it a shot and dabble in the Merc scene for a quick bit, so my BMW's going into hibernation after this winter, which is probably a good thing...with the flywheel starting to make noise (time for a single-mass conversion :D)...but I've been lagging on a lot of things for that car lately, with the stress of saving money for paying off a mountainous amount of student-loan debt, a few years from now. It'll be a little hard though for the next year or so, storing two project cars back at home. I found a home for my BMW at my aunt's place in SF, and the Peugeot will be sitting outside of my parents house :(.

My plan is to drive it for the next year, then hopefully sell it on, and save the money.

So enough of me ranting, and here's the new car.

6127279939_87b08b1a45_b.jpg

Weekend car: W124 300E by sina.pour, on Flickr

6127279433_724fbbd417_b.jpg

6127279021_25c3628a95_b.jpg

It will essentially be a comfortable cruiser for my daily commute.

We have practice at 5:00 am Monday-Saturday about 10 miles off campus, so it will be getting proper usage.

I'm just looking into getting some protection for it, such as rubber floor-mats and seat-covers all around - for my sweaty, sandy, and smelly teammates who will be carpooling with me. I might even try and sell the OEM wheels/tires - and replace them with another set of late model merc wheels/tires, and hopefully come out on top. Otherwise, nada. Gonna keep it all stock and grandpa style.

-S

I can't help but thing AMG Hammer everytime I see one. :)

My sister bought a minty 85' 505 STI 5-sp off a local guy - his other car was a gorgeous W124 AMG 300CE - beautiful car - but it was an automatic. Amazing how the AMG body kit and proper wheels transform these cars.

Sounds like it should serve you well for what you need it for.

Rabin

I can't help but thing AMG Hammer everytime I see one. :)

My sister bought a minty 85' 505 STI 5-sp off a local guy - his other car was a gorgeous W124 AMG 300CE - beautiful car - but it was an automatic. Amazing how the AMG body kit and proper wheels transform these cars.

Sounds like it should serve you well for what you need it for.

Rabin

Hammers are cool. I'm not that into the whole "body kit" look though much anymore, I prefer the more simple stock lines of the body.

However, if I could ever get my hands on some 500E bumpers & skirts...Very subtle, yet sexy/aggressive look.

Also, I feel like the w124s and 505's were very similar in class - however the 505 will always be more dicey (sans 5/600E+ models)

sorry to hear about your grandfather.

joe's right, a mercedes from that period will last you practically forever if you take care of it. E class is a good size as well, not too small or too big. very nice!

andré

Thanks, he lived a very long life and was ultimately crippled by Alzheimer's. Great man. Wish I had gotten to see him more in my lifetime.

My aunt is about to buy a 2013 e350 4-matic, but while they may be pretty and technologically-advanced, they don't make them like they used to (IMHO).

-S

Epic new car man!

sorry to hear about your grandpa though.

still... that car will be a part of your grandpa that you will always be in touch with, just like my 505 in Argentina. Hope you enjoy it, best wishes.