Rallycross - video (Go-Pro equipped!)

Bean

Results:

390501_201374079994619_931505915_n.jpgt

Great day, but I was in a rush to get done so they ran me 1st and 7th so I could get 3 runs in fast and leave. Decent for the first run, but my second I came in too hot and didn't stop in the stop box and was disqualified. (1:53:17).

After coming back in the temps were kind of high so I popped the hood - but then got distracted and didn't raise it up.

Third run came and after the second corner I could see the hood shaking and I knew what I had done! Had to stop and latch the hood - but continued on with the run as it was so much fun.

Had I not had the hood issue I was confident I could have gotten it into the 51's or 52's - it was really planted and a pleasure to drive.

Rabin

Great driving! , but i must say i feel a bit pity with that poor 505 :P

You'd be astounded what these events do for my car's! Prior to the event there was a very slight hesitant surging at WOT that I couldn't figure out. And the engine just wasn't as smooth as it could be. After the event the whole demeanor of the car changed - It's super smooth at idle now and it pulls to redline at WOT so smooth it's like it was just tuned up. (It already has fresh plugs and timing set with no previous effect.)

Italian tune ups work amazing on these cars, but I ensure they're up to temp prior to the runs, synthetic oil, Purflux filters, and whatever it needs is done to a very high spec.

Running in a rallycross is where this car really comes into it's own, and it feels MUCH happier in the dirt than on the pavement. (That same sentence can be applied to me as well!)

Rabin

Rough surfaces is a Peugeot forte, and while other cars get beat up on a course like this the Peugeot soaks it up unbelievably well. If you check the times out, the times are really very good considering my car is a bone stock 4 door sedan that's 23 years old, that had two baby seats in it. Only thing I did was put winter tires on.

Once I prep a 505 for these kinds of events it will be even faster.

Rabin

Loose surfaces like dirt or gravel are like driving in snow. It's better to have soft tread and skinny grippy tires, and snow tires are the best tires to use. All the RWD cars swapped to winters for the event. Our club requires a cage before we can run slicks or any other race tire including rally tires.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man - but I think you're reading the run order - I was just the first one to go. :) I did OK - but didn't really kill the competition. The Supra was the car I wanted to beat / get close too and I did get close - but I wanted to be the fastest RWD for the day. I figure I could have either gotten close or beaten it had I had a good third run if the hood hadn't been an issue...

Hopefully I'll have my 85 505 Turbo ready for the winter events if all goes well. I've got Bryan's old SCCA cage to go in it so I can run rally spec tires once that's in.

Rabin