Painting Peugeot Emblems

billbranch

I honestly have so many peugeot emblems lying around my parents' house that whenever it starts fading, I pop it off and install a new one.

However, after seeing Jeff (peugeottogo)'s car this weekend, I was pretty impressed with his chrome/black emblems.

Have no idea how he did it - and totally forgot to ask him about it.

7990756549_3088881034_h.jpg

bill -- i see NOS & repro badges all the time, but never the v6 badge, so you are probably stuck with painting your originals.

as i understand the original process, the entire badge is painted the gray/matte silver color, then the letter portion is masked and the black is applied. i'm sure the little workshop that made these badges had some sort of custom-made tool that performed the masking function.

to reproduce this process and make your emblems as nearly perfect as possible, you could probably mask the letters by "painting" the emblem with something that dries pretty thick but doesn't stick too much (some kind of rubber or silicone), then cut away the coating around the letters with a hobby knife (xacto) so that each letter has a little thin "cap". mold release or PAM spray would probably help, but you'd have to clean it off before painting. paint the emblem with matte black, let it dry and peel off the caps...bob's your uncle...painter's tape (the blue stuff) would probably work too, but might be a little more finicky at following the contours of the letters...whatever masking process you use, you're gonna want to let the first color cure for a while before you add the black, maybe up to a couple of weeks.

sina -- pretty sure jeff's badges are OE, i think some of the early 505 models had chrome lettering...a good research topic... :)

andré

Just had an idea... No idea what it would cost though.

Take it to a decal / graphics place to see if they can scan the emblems and then cut adhesive chrome vinyl to the shape of the raised letters. Paint the emblems satin black, then carefully lay the cut chrome (or silver, or ??) letters onto the emblems.

It'd be super thin and if done well you likely wouldn't have a clue - but they'd look great and much "higher end" than painted silver ones if you went with the chrome letters.

Might even be able to sell a few.

Rabin

Thanks, guys,

I've bought almost a thousand badges from Europe on eBay, and, yes, there are two textures: shiny and matte. The newer badges I've received have been shiny. I did some research; one guy said these are probably done by silk-screening (remember that?), but one guy recommended a hard roller. I think by using a roller six inches or so long and using two side rails of steel or hard plastic, I could do it. I am going to try that on some of my old badges. I've tried masking, but I have clumsy fingers and a resultant ham-fisted approach.

Bill

i brightened mine with a fine point silver paint pen, and just being very careful. also silver'd the lion in the grille (was tempted to make the flame or tongue red heh)

and was further tempted to put M or BMW and AMG or mercedes emblems from model cars in the lions belly...