What did you do today?

JunktionFET

I'm on a 14hr bus ride to get the parts car that will donate its body parts to fix my V70R...

Only bad thing is the car I found to use is a rare V70 T5M that's in supposedly nice shape.

It's actually much more rare than my R, so if it is nice enough to save it might just be my new DD and I'll find another car to part out.

Rabin

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the 98 V70 T5M back home, and while it needs a ton of TLC, it's too nice to part out. Its also got slight damage on hood and fender the seller neglected to point out... Hopefully passing safety inspection won't be too hard or expensive.

Plan is to fix and DD it while I get our cars fixed, then sell it.

Pics to follow when it stops snowing...

Rabin

Driving to dinner on Saturday night I noticed a grinding noise coming from the rear of the Prelude every time I applied the brake. To rule out the front brakes, I confirmed the noise occurred when using just the hand brake. Sure enough, rear pads were down to almost nothing, and the inside rear pad on the LH side was beginning to hit the backing plate. Yikes!

Sunday I replaced the rear pads--a fairly easy job once I got the rear pistons to screw in freely.

While I was at it I figured I'd change the engine oil and transmission oil. Like the old Peugeot BA7 and BA10, the Prelude calls for regular engine oil in its manual gearbox, and it seems to work well enough. It didn't really need to be changed, but I figured I'd do it anyway since I was under there.

I noticed a very small bit of power steering fluid leaking out of both ends of the steering rack. It's a very slow leak and I'm not overly concerned because I have another steering rack "in stock" in preparation for my Four Wheel Steering swap I'll do once the weather warms up.

I also noticed an engine oil leak from somewhere up high, and traced it to the distributor. Apparently the distributor is leaking oil internally and it's seeping from the distributor cap. I guess asking a 23 year old Honda to be completely leak free is a tall order. Fortunately this leak is also miniscule... for now.

I'd love to get one of Jonathan's Peugeots over here and do something with it. The winter is never a good time for me to get motivated. Yes I know that winters here are mild, but seriously, if I can't go outside comfortably in a tee-shirt, then it's cold, end of story :)

LOL!!

I googled temps in Raleigh NC and your "winter" as you called it is what we like to call spring... Or even early fall up here in Saskatchewan Canada.

For instance right now it says it's 49F down there. This past week it got down to -58F with the windchill. I don't know why we live up here, but I try to comfort myself with it being free cryo treating.

As nasty as it has been, the Peugeot has been a great starter, even after finding out my lower rad hose heater hasn't been working. Coldest start so far was -32C (-26F) without windchill. We had a colder day, but I used the Volvo instead. Heated seats and a remote car starter are much valued options!

Rabin

As I posted earlier, I was up in Rabin's Latitude for a week of skiing in January. We had a high for the week of +2°F (-17°C). I think we had a total of 2 or three hours above 0°F (-18°C). We only had one day with significant wind so I'm not counting wind chill. It went down to -35°F (-37°C) a couple of times, so we did have to bundle up, but it was not enough to keep me off the slopes.

I tried the heated seats in the Grey STI today, not that I needed them, but just to see if they worked. There's a sheepskin seat cover on the driver's side so I couldn't tell if that one worked, but the passenger side did work. The heated seats on the blue S have always worked but I've never really found much use for them.

Rabin, you are crazy my friend.

It's currently in the 50s in San Diego, and i'm bummed that i had to wear my hoodie today

indeed. my mom's in town (from louisiana) so i'm off this week...it turned cold today (mid-50s) so i couldn't wear my cargo shorts. it was in the 70s yesterday... :)

andré

It topped 60F here today, so I was driving with the sunroof open. I had the heat on of course. :P

I'm an avid motorcyclist, but I'm not keen on riding unless it's over 65F or so. Mind you I've ridden through sleet before, which was wholly unpleasant (and painful actually), so I'm physically capable of riding in cold weather. I just hate having to pile on my cold weather gear.

I'd be curious to see what your "cold weather" gear looks like... I did a drag racing day on my ZX-10 in May once, and when the sun went down the temps plummeted, and we had to ride back in -5C at highway speeds. I had my winter gear on, but I've never run heated vests or anything so I was pretty much as cold as I've ever been in my life.

I've also been caught riding in snow when pushing the riding season right until the first day of snow, so yeah - it's no fun either. :)

Rabin

My coldest weather apparel consists of UnderArmor (Cold Gear) leggings and some kind of warm pants, UnderArmor shirt and typically another shirt on top of that, a water-resistant double lined Joe Rocket jacket, non-ventilated gloves, my Sidi boots with the vents closed, and a balaclava. It's that balaclava that really makes a difference too. Also, I put heated grips on all of the street ridden bikes. I've found that if my hands stay warm, it seems like it helps the rest of my body. They say your fingers are like little radiators... I guess they are.

I do stay warm, but it's such a pain to throw all of that on. With just jeans, a textile (non-mesh) jacket, and maybe an Under Armor long sleeve, I can tolerate temps in the 50s... Drop into the 40s and it starts getting uncomfortable. What can I say, I get cold! :P

What you describe is basically our early spring / fall riding gear....

My cold weather setup: Riding gloves inside North Face expedition gautlet mitts, fleece long underwear, Dainese 2pc leathers, and gore-tex pants and jacket. My riding boots are military grade boots with good winter socks, the fitted rubber boot that goes over if it's really cold.

I've also got a neoprene face mask that has a channel that directs your breath down to your neck inside the collar. Prevents fogging of the helmet nicely - much better than the helmet fitted breath guards.

Funny as it sounds, our riding season is so short, if you don't do cold weather riding you'll halve your season almost. So as long as you stay warm and ride smart, it's a great way to ride as long as possible. I pretty much rode rain or shine, but I do wait longer in spring as our roads are covered with lots of sand and gravel from the winter road prep.

Rabin

Rabin....
http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtype.asp?CAT_ID=1179&numRecordPosition=0&categorycrumbs=969

I used these guys on rovers, mercedes and bimmer, and volvo's. I've seen better quality and actually service able driveshafts from them.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Volvo_V70R_AWD_Driveshaft.php

• 3 weeks later...

Finished ordering parts for my Volvo V70 duo last night, so if all goes well I'll have all the parts necessary to get both cars fixed up. T5M will be first, and once I have it passed inspection I'll take the R down for it's repairs as it will take a fair bit longer to do.

The really exciting part however is that once the R is done, the 89' will no longer be my DD and I can start working on it! Plan is to get the wheel and brake install sorted, then strip it down for body repairs and paint this summer. I'll leave the mechanicals for now and focus on getting the BMW wheel and brakes sorted out... Car is running fantastic lately, so I'll focus on cosmetics and getting my long awaited mods installed.

Rabin

Work started a "Chose to Lose" healthy living program so I signed up last week. I'm terrible for staying motivated for getting into shape so figured it'd help. Weight in at 204 lbs... I pretty much look healthy, but I have no cardio, and I feel about 15lbs too heavy for my knees to be pain free.

Started going to the gym 3 times a week for some Elliptical cardio training, and went my first Yoga class - Ashtanga Elements. 25 minutes on an Elliptical seems like a day in the park compared to the Yoga class - it kicked my butt HARD. Really great work out, so I hope to do more once I drop down to my target weight of 190 lbs.

I pick up all my parts for the cars this Friday, and then I've got a LOT of work to do to both Volvos to get them sorted out. Gift to myself for all the work was the Momo wheel on FB that Randy posted up. Hoping the center fits the existing wheel in the 89'. Quite sure the adapter on it is for the 504 by the pictures as the 505 one is way longer. 504 is quite compact like it showed in the pictures.

Rabin

did a brake job on my daily-driver vw jetta this saturday...it hasn't been that long since i changed all of the pads (front & rear) but last time out i didn't lubricate the moving parts in the caliper well enough so the front right caliper was sticking, causing the pads on that wheel to wear prematurely. this time i made sure to lubricate everything well, especially the guide pins (which i neglected last time). i did the front brakes, pads & rotors this time.

DSC02407_zps74faa7f9.jpg

DSC02406_zpse438cf89.jpg

here's the caliper back on with the new pads installed:

DSC02410_zpsfdb1abd2.jpg

here's the wheel back on. yes, i need to wash my car. :)

DSC02408_zps8b27debb.jpg

the entire brake job only took about 1.5 hours. i had my son helping me.

all was not sweetness and light, though. while i had the wheels off, i discovered that the front left sway bar link had cracked. this part is plastic! i ordered a new set, will install them next weekend.

DSC02409_zpsd87f33da.jpg

andré

Andre: You might want to check that inner CV boot as well. Hard to tell in the pic, but it looks like the inner boot shaft clamp is either gone or the boot have an issue.

As for my todo's - I started on the T5M this weekend. All new brakes (ATE rotors, Jurid front pads, ATE rears, new Volvo park brake shoes), accessory belt, new tailgate lock assembly, new axle shafts (w/one tranny seal as FCP screwed up and only gave me one seal), cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

Discovered the front brake hoses were shot, so I was stopped there from bleeding the brakes out with ATE Super Blue fluid. Also need to install the short shift kit, and replace the front fog lights with the old ones off the V70R and it should be ready to be inspected. I'll post some pics later when I get the short shift kit installed. :D

Car was desperately in need of a tune up, and what shocks me is just how well the thing ran with the most worn plugs I've seen in a very long time. Plug wires were original, and both the cap and rotor contacts were burned pretty good. Brake pads on all four corners had maybe 2-3mm each pad left - but all were very equal so that was good. Lots accomplished - but it was a good 10hrs in my buddies garage doing all that.

I'll be stoked when the car is finally plated as it should be a very nice car for us to use this summer. Not usually a fan of FWD cars, but this one is one of the best FWD chassis I've driven. Pretty much impossible to not like 240HP sleeper wagons...

Rabin

Andre: You might want to check that inner CV boot as well. Hard to tell in the pic, but it looks like the inner boot shaft clamp is either gone or the boot have an issue.

that's actually on my to-do list for this car, i noticed that it was visible in the photo but i didn't mention it because i wasn't sure how much people wanted to read about a german car. :) also on the to-do for my jetta is replacement of the fender liners and the front valence (i.e., spoiler) -- the mark iv jettas have a bad problem with losing their front valence panels because of the way they're mounted. i hit a traffic bump (called a "sleeping policeman" in some parts of the world) and lost my front valence...also, it took out chunks out of both fender liners where the bolts attach. i got a class-action settlement notice from VWofA (relating to the front valence) a while back, but i didn't lose my front valence until well after the class closing date. that's what i get for taking care of my car.... :angry:

speaking of non-french cars -- when can we see photos of the new volvo, rabin? :)

andré

Pics will come when I get some time to play with my phone so that I can upload to my Picasa direct. I've taken a few during the stage 0 process, and once I get it licensed I'll clean it up for some nice pictures...

Last night I went to my buddies garage at 10PM and worked until 12:40AM! Got lots done though: Opened up the ABS module and reflowed all of the cracked solder joints (known issue) and resealed it, finished the install of the Snabb short shifter (awesome upgrade), installed the XC70 grill, and finally loosened the brake fitting on the passenger front so I could install the new brake hose.

Tonight I just need to remove the fog lights and headlight wiper arms, fill the tranny with Redline 75W90NS, and bleed the brakes out with ATE Super Blue and it should be all ready for inspection Friday morning. Once plated I'll be installing a rear wing, some e-code headlight lenses, and the fogs off my R to finish it up.

Then I get to start on repairing the R...

Rabin

My last final, Engineering Calculus II, was this morning. 8:30-10:30 am walked out, felt pretty good about it.

Then I went to the airport, boarded a plane, passed out, and woke up in Oakland.

Just took my Peugeot for a spin and drove my sister to her soccer practice in Berkeley.

Feels so good to be driving my Peugeot again.

Congrats Sina! Both on the last final AND for the sweet ride in the 505 being so enjoyable.

The V70 passed inspection this past Friday, but the weather has absolutely SUCKED this last week. This past week we surpassed the record for snow fall in one winter at over 2 meters of snow, with more forecast and we're still in the deep freeze with really high windchill factors.

Car will be plated soon, but I need to get some child seat tether anchors mounted, and baby seats transferred so my wife can start driving it. With all the new snow received - we've held off on doing that switch as the AWD is just so much better that the FWD T5 even though I mounted my previous Continental WinterContact2 studded winter tires off the 505 onto it... (The ones I replaced since all the rear studs were ripped out - but the fronts were still great and they work awesome on the FWD T5!)

Still have pics on the list of todos - but I want them to be good before I post them!

Rabin

congrats from me as well, sina. are you guys on a trimester system? seems like an unusual time to be having finals....

rabin, crappy pics are better than no pics. one thing i've learned, people will point out flaws no matter how good one's car/pics look...it's all part of the fun.

said the guy who hasn't posted pics of his car in months. :D

btw -- changed the broken sway bar link on my jetta yesterday. meant to change the other one also, along with the sway bar bushings, but ran out of time. :mellow: maybe this weekend...

andré