What did you do today?

JunktionFET

I remember replacing a whining gearbox after years of towing an overloaded trailer, it can be done with the exhaust in place so not too much hassle.
The funny thing was when we find out that there is two Lada 5 speed gearboxes and we couldn't find anything but the wrong one.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 5 speed gearboxes are much weaker than the original 4 speed boxes, also older nivas had slower differentials what meant bigger teeth, stronger differentials, mine is one of the slowest with the strongest box and diffs. That said being that slow will get on my nerves pretty quickly.

116 italian horsepower thru 3 open diff in a shell of 1300 kg won't be very fast, i've driven a niva with 20v turbo engine from the fiat coupe turbo around 200hp, the 4wd makes it dull, only comes alive between 4500-6000 rpm at full boost.

The guy mostly wanted the 5 speed but finally the twin cam also ended under the hood. Probably quite a bit of fun with the short gears at a red light.
A few years later grandpa bought his first Niva, too bad that the 132 wasn't still rotting in the backyard.

I think the 2 liter engine bolt pattern is different to the lada pattern so was simpler for him to make new engine mounts and put it in. Any advice on how to put Peugeot 605 seats in the little Niva, by may measurements each seat is 10 centimeters wider and the back is totally different

IMG_20181123_192725.jpg

Grandpa had Alfetta GT seats, with both the Alfa and Lada tilt mechanism as far as I remember.
With the 605 ones you may need to keep the Lada mechanism but with 405 ones I know for sure that you can use the 205/309 tilt mechanism as Peugeot did it with the 309.
The 605 seats share some parts but may be wider than the 405 ones.

OEM lada seats are gone, previous owner has welded in some awful fiesta seats, i'll stop by the junkyard tomorrow and look at the seat rails from a 205 gti. Peugeot sure knows how to make good seats, the 605's are perticulaty comfortable.

The Audi 2,7 biturbo engines are junk, no way i'm putting them in anything, 4G63T or a 2JZ gti if i could buy one cheaply i'll have no problem doing a engine swap this will be a weekend toy not a everyday daly driver, i still regret for selling the galant vr4 that had a knocking engine. Would made a great donor.

I bought it from couple of smugglers, no paperwork at all, in terrible shape, both bumpers broken, the wavy door trims missing on some of the doors, leaking power steering it had 4 wheel steering, and 4wd and a engine knock, at first not to bad but by the end of the week in which i own it sounded like a diesel, preity sure connecting rod bearing, because it was illegal i wanted to strip it for parts but couple young guys offerd to buy it so i sold it, some time later i heard they crush it in a bridge and i think it got impounded by the police, it was a us spec car with a brass badge in the middle of the dashboard, dark grey in color, too bad i coud have a 4g63t  rebuildable engine.

Yesterday my 309 turbo diesel was due to technical inspection, 455000 km (282724 miles), original engine and tighter rules for smoke opacity test... what could go wrong anyway?

As it turns out french diesel emission rules for a 1991 car are not that hard to satisfy: no cat, no EGR, no ODB and even more leeway for turbo.

So I'm good for at least two more years.

You can use LPG to pass the test, i've done it once to legalise one 405, i turn down the injection pump to the point it will idle only at full throttle, and install a carburetor style lpg system with a barbeque propane tank behind the passenger seat, used brake booster vacuum line solenoids and regulators to make it run good and passed no problem even had more power, i swiched it back to diesel the next day after it passed.

• 2 weeks later...

Today i have to deal with this, a way to repair an russian made dashboard, i've ordered 2 times a new dashboard from 2 countries and after looking thru all the used ones for sale come to a conclusion that they are so badly made no one survived past 10 years old so i'll use plastic body filler to fill all the holes and some type of plastic coating to apply a textured finish, sending filler my least favorite job.

IMG_20181222_184742.jpg

IMG_20181229_130619.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last couple of months i've been working on fixing up an old little Niva, and wow, wow my head's spinning now, i just went to test fit the valve lash testing plat that i made on the Little Niva, and tested 2 valves and this even surprised me, factory clarence ia 0,15mm on all valves, i got 0,7mm on one and 1,05 mm on the other, now my thought is how is this engine running, and it showed factory compression on all cylinders and how worn is the cam and lifters to have almost 1 millimeter more clearance, any thoughts ?

IMG_20190131_194032.jpg

I don't think so, the other side of the cam cage is closed more, and the bolt pattern is different, i can use an machinist dial indicator stand to check the lift if i have doubts in the power output of the engine. To see if the cam is worn down.

• 1 month later...