What did you do today?

JunktionFET

Today I changed the cracked header tank on my 309. It's the infamous "black square" type that is, as expected, discontinued.

The original tank cracked in 2012 after 22 years and 270000 km and I barely found one at the scrap yard.

The "new" one was only 2 years younger but managed to hold for 8 years and 215000 km before cracking at the exact same spot.

In 2012 not knowing how long this used tank would last I also brought a brand new one from Peugeot and looking at the prices for a NOS or aluminium one today that was indeed a pretty good idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This past weekend I was busy with my customers car a 1999 C43 AMG and she’s getting heart transplants! Engine is running great but he wants 5.4L power so he found low milage engine from 2001 E55 AMG.We are still waiting on seals, gaskets and service parts but I was able to replace V/C and intake manifold gaskets. I managed to clean up most of it and I’m hopping to have oil pan switched and cleaned the rest of the engine by Thursday.

Engine bay will be cleaned up this Saturday before we install engine back in.

194D167D-A608-43CA-AD6C-428F0C6D0982.jpeg

80114ECD-64DA-4869-AB0E-8B6B243089EF.jpeg

C94299A2-B60D-4911-986D-2FC5F16589EE.jpeg

4D0B286A-30D1-4E9D-8570-0555B5D659FB.jpeg

47094806-1E01-4B6B-BB13-D82C1B06B382.jpeg

This has been the last 6 weeks - 2 weeks Vacation and a whack of evenings and weekend work.

Just need to do some final leveling, and then it’s polymeric sand time to fill gaps.

Hoping after this I can return to garage and car projects!

Rabin

48745135-EF80-431F-B737-8536963AD2D8.jpeg

A4C87D26-1D43-45C5-9722-761073D91E5E.jpeg

45FFAB26-EFC8-4C93-BEA3-21394815D498.jpeg

049FA9CC-E70F-4B77-ADA6-075238A6260B.jpeg

C4F9E4DD-C954-43B7-9AAF-74C1426C4106.jpeg

18EDCE14-884C-4508-87FE-3814970D44D9.jpeg

1DE30395-523D-4662-ACFA-236C37CF0C93.jpeg

Savo, around me i have a bunch of merc people. They are worse to talk to then subaru folks, they swear that the C36 amg is better and faster then the C43 amg, is there any truth in that. In my opinion there cars are only good for making tire smoke, i've watched them get bit in a straight line by fiesta ST, haha. Is the 1 liter bigger engine worthy upgrade.

Rabin, Around the house there is always work to be done, pavers are looking great. I have the opposite problem, i've been working on cars many and need to do some house work, my lower floor bathroom needs new water pipes and fittings, from the looks i'll just end up knocking everything down and starting fresh.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 1:39 AM, Goce said:

Savo, around me i have a bunch of merc people. They are worse to talk to then subaru folks, they swear that the C36 amg is better and faster then the C43 amg, is there any truth in that. In my opinion there cars are only good for making tire smoke, i've watched them get bit in a straight line by fiesta ST, haha. Is the 1 liter bigger engine worthy upgrade.

Rabin, Around the house there is always work to be done, pavers are looking great. I have the opposite problem, i've been working on cars many and need to do some house work, my lower floor bathroom needs new water pipes and fittings, from the looks i'll just end up knocking everything down and starting fresh.

? at Subaru comment ?

In my opinion C43 is better, it has nicer interior, better electrical components, nicer running engine, better fuel injection and so on... yeah 5.4 makes these cars in to a beast! Perfect power to weight ratio.

• 2 weeks later...

The power that old AMG engines make is on point, they can be a bit more lively but the torque makes up for their laziness. I've notice even when they are spinning they are still going in a straight line, not sure how, because many other RWD vehicles have a tendency to snap to one side or another.

• 7 months later...

Today I uploaded a new video on YouTube. It's about installing an expansion chamber exhaust system on a outboard engine. It is spoken and subtitled in English. Please feel free to comment anything related to the video. most importantly, should I also film my Peugeot project videos in the similar way and in English?

-Wales

I really like the editing in this new one, but your speaking style in the 505 video seemed more relaxed.  You have excellent English, and I had no issues understanding what you were saying at all.  The multiple cameras while you were speaking was also a nice touch, but I’d suggest scripting it so that you look at whatever view you’re filming.  The casual speaking style sitting on a chair was also less formal than you speaking against the white wall...

These take a tremendous anount of work to put together and they look really great so far.  :)

From a technical point - I’m only familiar with 2 stroke expansion chambers on motorbikes and skidoo’s which appear to expand much closer o the head.  Is there a reason you do them farther away?  The mods you did to that motor was also bonkers!  Fantastic work and “ring ding” two stroke soundtrack made me smile - Love it.  

You also live in a gorgeous area - the lake looked amazing!

Rabin

Thank you very detailed review of the video.

My friend also noticed the same thing about the more "natural" and "open" outgive on the speaking style on the 505 video. I'm sure that it gets better with time when speaking English as well. Also, the garage speaking section was filmed in the first try and on one take only. These English sections did require 60 clips in total.  In the first place, I was planning on filming the narratative sections somewhere else, but there wasn't really much options available at the time.

By:

11 hours ago, Bean said:

appear to expand much closer o the head.  Is there a reason you do them farther away?

Do you mean that the exhaust middle section is located closer to the engine head? Could the exhaust be shorter also by the total length? Then the maximum power should be upper in the rpm range. There is so many things realted to the conical shape of the header of the exhaust so hard to tell how they differ. Basically, the more sudden and more sharp the changes on the cone shapes, the more power you get from it, but the power will be more "spiky".  Also, I'm sure a BRP does have more sophisticated design tools available for the exhaust than I do. On the counterside, they do have also more restrictions, like noise, emissions, low rpm torque, weight, warranty, etc...

12 hours ago, Bean said:

The mods you did to that motor was also bonkers!

Haha, they are just the bare minimum for the expansion chambers to be able to even work somehow ;)

12 hours ago, Bean said:

You also live in a gorgeous area - the lake looked amazing!

I like it very much also :) Luckily we have also many waterways near, the farthest trip I could drive in way one would be around 300 km and it would be just lake after another and maybe 8 of waterlocks on the way. I'm dreaming of driving this trip someday, maybe with the yellow catamaran..