What did you do today?

JunktionFET

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy - powder coated fuel tank is a first for me. :)

That roll bar link angle is really high - is that factory?   I'd think it'd be brutal on both the bar and LCA mounts.

Looks phenomenal though - will you be showing the car too?

Rabin

End up being wrong sway bar :-( it's about 3" too short and wrong angle. Gonna need to call Summit racing tomorrow. 

This is actually 3g rear sway bar with tubular upper and lower control arms. I had tubular toe arms made by Paul Volk and side control arm is tubular from factory.

• 1 month later...

Last few days were extremely tough on me,I worked long hours in my garage and it's been 108*F last few days. I got front suspension assembled and this car is finally on the ground.

Never mind the bent hood prop,it appears that my friends meat hooks were resting on my hood which caused hood prop to bend.

IMG_7289.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, my3AWDgst said:

It's new to me and it's 3 car garage. It has good amount of room on the side of the house to park my parts cars and more.

Congrats Savo, best advice i can give you invest in some tall storage shelf floor to ceiling in the garage and try to keep one garage bay empty for emergency repairs.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

aside from being busier at work these days (and the usual family obligations), i gotta say that the main reason i haven't been able to spend as much time working on my 405 as i would like is my passat. i got this car with the idea that i'd give it to my son when he got his driver's license (he's got a learner's permit now) and it's a good car, but there is always some little thing wrong with it. this car has a check engine light on 50% of the time, and it's always something minor. a couple of months ago, i had a check engine light when it was time to get the car smogged (emissions tested) and it took me a few weeks to get it straightened out and through inspection.

i also got a new stereo head unit for this car with bluetooth and navigation as well as inputs for a backup camera. as part of the prep for that upcoming installation, i changed out the original antenna for an OE gps/radio antenna a couple of days ago.

DqvsBP8Lsr6vRe4NolK5_rrJEopkOP0wP5BAvKcd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I’ve been extremely busy last two weeks with organizing garage and parts cars. Last three years I had them stored in three different places and every time I was looking for something I was short on time and these parts end up overflowing and not even god him self could fined what part I needed.Now engine/gearbox parts are in red 91 MI16 and body/interior parts are inside of 91 Wagon. Everything is in boxes and easy to fined,a lot of parts I gave away and a lot of it end up in the trash can at work. 

I also moved them a part of each other so I can open the doors if I need anything. Missing parts that got robbed over the years got installed back on 91 Wagon. Door jams and engine compartment was full of leafs so I cleaned up that as well.

These buckets got new tarps as well :-)

XU9J2 A/T is going to be picked up by Hugh.imageproxy.php?img=&key=2f6bad58dd454945imageproxy.php?img=&key=2f6bad58dd454945

B6C7BCC8-1639-4475-8A05-2AD1544DEB8A.jpeg

12666665-A6F6-4897-86F6-4741B7C08ED7.jpeg

87A39843-CBE9-45D6-9EBD-435EDA745E6F.jpeg

Decided to clean up Sorento Green MI16 and install manual seat belts and ran in to trouble removing D/S front seat. First of all seat switch did not work,took it part and cleaned it with scotch bright pad and WD40 which made the switch to work but seat would still not move. Looking around I found broken plastic part between two shafts,took the parts of parts car but plastic part was too short and rods were longer. I end up shortening original (loneger white plastic part) and using parts car longer rod that got shortened and that did the trick. However it appears that right side door track is stuck and only left side moves. FML! Ran out of time so I’ll deal with it on Saturday. 

79789F3A-BEAA-4CCC-B8F7-2ED72B74B726.jpeg

Nice job on the clean up Savo, Peugeot has used those plastic couplers on electric seats an all its models and they seam often to fail, i've dealt with them in different ways, from making new from plastic and steel with set screws to lately simply welding them together and adding an extra piece, if one track is stuck check for loose change( metal money) in jamming the track.

I end up repairing it yesterday. Used my hammer to move it forward while motor was moving left side,end being just dirt from years of stuff collecting. End up taking both seat rails a part cleaning and lubing them. Works really well and it moves pretty quick considering how slow this seat motors are.

Interior cleaned up nice I’m not regretting time invested but it did take lot longer then expected.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SRDT, The transmission noise is horrendous, i'll redo the transfer case mounts to fix some of the noise and vibrations but the front diff beeing hard mounted is the main course of the noise, the first plan was to swap in the xud9 from the tug project, the engine beeing 1984 the car 1982 i could get it legalised but this little 4x4 has only 57 000 km on it i did an compression test and the engine has factory compression on all cylinders so it will be a waste to not use it and just convert it on LPG. I thought hard how to convert to Lada then decided i'll conver it to a peugeot, so the plan is to put peugeot 605 manuel seats, maybe a steering wheel from a 605, gear knob and i bought this emblem for the rear trunk lid.

IMG_20181203_135430_1.jpg

I could install a fuel injection from the lada 110 or the newer nivas, but parts are such bad quality that i'll be making it even more unreliable so i'll be keeping the carburetor and installing a dual fuel system with LPG as my secondary fuel, as for the valve seats, those engines do have soft steel valve seats but people have been ruining them on LPG for years with no major issues, in fact the drive line can outlast the body sell. My neighbor has close to 400 000 km on a lada sedan with LPG all its life.