What did you do today?

JunktionFET

if you like it, enjoy it, phil. looks to be in very good condition, just a bit of servicing and you should be ready to ride!

i don't know if i mentioned it here, but a week or two ago i set out to change the front control arms on my jetta wagon. because all of the type 4 VWs share suspension parts, they are easy to get and inexpensive. the rear bushing on my passenger-side arm had completely worn through, and the one on my driver-side arm was cracked pretty badly. rather than remove the arms and press in new bushings, i just bought a new pair of arms and bolts from ECS tuning. i also changed the ball joints while i was at it.

the passenger-side arm went fairly easily and i finished it in that early session. but the driver-side required raising the engine a few inches to get clearance for the front bolt....i tackled it again this morning and got it taken care of. since the passenger-side was worse, i had already noticed a bit less clunking over bumps & while braking before today, but now it's all nice and tight again. the hardest part was getting all of the bolts properly torqued while the car was off the jackstands & on the ground, i guess i need to get some ramps for suspension work going forward. i have a new set of bilstein shocks for the front but i'll probably wait until later in the summer to change those out, need to get the rear shocks as well.

no pics, sorry.

i'll get the front end aligned in a couple of days, then the next task is to change out the a/c compressor. the clutch is bad on the current compressor so it sounds like i am driving a diesel whenever the compressor is engaged...i could change out the clutch by itself but a clutch for the compressor costs as much as a complete compressor so i'm just going to change out the whole thing. the jetta has a serpentine belt and ECS sells a kit with a new belt and tensioner for about US$150 so i'll do that at the same time. i will also have to recharge the a/c, so that's another weekend day project. i'll be doing the compressor/belt in a week or so, then i will get back to spending quality time with my peugeot. :)

andré

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No update on the ebay auction - just need to touch base with him though.

Just this last week I found a nice Cervelo Dual triathalon bike with Ultegra components for $600 - best bang for the buck Ive seen so far for getting a nice groupset, but it sold to the first person to look at it.

I think the plan is to just get the frame and prep it for when I come across a good deal.

I still need to detail my road bike and take some pics, but the new seat makes a big difference. Can't wait to get some miles on it.

Rabin

Because I'm impulsive and can't think of any other excuses, I made an offer to someone selling a 1985-ish PSN-10. All Vitus 980 tubing, original weight is stated to be 22 lbs. I didn't offer a whole lot, but I figured what have I got to lose?

Not sure what I'm going to do with 3 bicycles... I may end up selling the Canyon Express if I enjoy the road bikes more. I never do any trail riding anyway--it's all paved greenways or roads.

Proper road bike on nice pavement is a beautiful thing. We have crap pavement so I fit my bike with 28C Conti Cross Country tires. Much better riding than the 23C tired it came with.

Rabin

Before the big storewide sale at Performance Bike ended, I splurged on a nice bike stand to aid in my assembly of the Galaxie as well as general maintenance. I assembled it today and it works great! It was discounted to $70, and has no stability issues with that weightless frame sitting on it

Busy weekend for me. I covered about 700 miles total between Friday and Saturday while visiting old friends and family, and making poor decisions... err purchases. :)

One of my older brothers hosted a July 4th party at his new house. It's waaay out in the rural NC foothills. Absolutely beautiful land consisting of rolling hills and amazing roads. He bought a 100+ year old farm house on several acres and renovated it. It's amazing inside and out, and the property is littered with old barns and buildings that were used to cure tobacco and such. This is getting into NC's wine country a bit, and his nearest neighbor has a rather rustic French-looking home with its own vineyard. Seeing all of this in such peace and quiet (and really enjoyable weather) was a rare treat.

Anywho, I also headed down to Charlotte. While I was there I drove past my old Peugeot shop (Sunset Coachmen) which was actually not in Charlotte proper, but north of the city in a quaint rural area. This is the first time in almost 10 years I've been down that road. It's no longer a Peugeot shop; All the cars and parts are of course long gone. This is what remains.

2014-07-05185034_zps215c2fab.jpg

I also stopped by to visit George since I haven't seen or talked to him in years. While I was there, he started talking to me about this car. It's an '84 604 with an XD3T and 5 speed. I remember this car! It came into the shop when I worked there with its original XD2S and 5 speed. The #2 exhaust valve had dropped while the owner was on a road trip in the northeast. I recall the owner saying that he noticed the car "lost a bit of power" and "sounded rough". Hahaha. I remember pulling the head and seeing major carnage in poor cylinder 2.

We had a wrecked 1985 505 sedan out back with a nice XD3T engine, so I did the swap! It's kind of cool seeing a car that I worked on so many years ago. At some point George took ownership of that car from the original owner.

One of the water pump bolts snapped off in the head and developed a leak. Because of that, it has been sitting for years and has turned into a bit of a storage shed :( Paint is only a few years old and the interior is in great shape (just needs to be cleaned)

He mentioned that he was trying to sell it, and at the price he quoted me, it got my gears turning. Oh boy...

2014-07-05193121_zps9ed154fa.jpg

2014-07-05193253_zpsa268ba4d.jpg

2014-07-05193311_zpsfb63d658.jpg

2014-07-05193326_zpsa2a97066.jpg

While I was in the Charlotte area, I had a lead on a Peugeot bicycle about 90 minutes south. The pictures looked nice and the guy was asking a very reasonable price. Impulse kicked in and I headed down there. Turns out it's a 1985 PSN-10, 60cm frame, all original from what I can tell. The only two things wrong with it are a loose spoke on the front wheel and a sticky headset. All Vitus 980 tubing, and the brochure says it weighs in at a mere 21 lbs. I made an offer and he accepted. So I guess now I'm the owner of 3 Peugeot bicycles.

2014-07-05232631_zps11d92054.jpg

2014-07-05232809_zpsf488b73b.jpg

[2014-07-05232652_zps6e3df9fc.jpg

2014-07-05232716_zps1c1d60e9.jpg

2014-07-05232728_zpse7641019.jpg

I have a problem...

It's probably a good thing that you're discussing your problem amongst friends. Enablers might be more accurate actually. :D

That 604 looks like a steal, and in that condition and a 5sp makes it incredibly tempting. I'm just thankful I'm thousands of miles away!

The PSN-10 would have also been bought immediately after seeing that gorgeous lugged frame. The standing lion on the fork is just a gorgeous styling touch as well.

Three bikes is a lot, but now you have spares for when friends come over. :)

Rabin

Yeah I'm totally with you on the engraving... I saw that on the fork and thought it was just an amazing touch.

I'm going to go have the front wheel serviced on it and then disassemble/re-grease the bearing in the headset. I'm wondering if I should just take the whole bike in to the guy that "tuned up" my Canyon Express and have him give it a once-over.

I took today off and removed the very leaky injection pump from the '85, then it drove it down to the same diesel shop that resealed my spare pump. I think I may end up using that pump instead of the spare because of my pedantic need to be original... The spare pump is from an automatic transmission car :P And since I'm not going to tune or modify the '85, I think it may be best to just use the original one.

Back in 2008 I had an embarrassing low-speed lowside on my 2006 Honda VFR. Damage was never very bad--right side fairing and nose fairing got some scrapes. I've been riding the bike like that ever since. However now that I'm more serious about selling it, it's time to get them repainted. I removed them and will take them down to a guy tomorrow that specializes in painting sportbike plastics. I've dealt with him before; He's Swedish and does absolutely brilliant work.

I was going to do more garage work, but I had an untimely dental emergency. I had a root canal a few weeks ago and I've been wearing a temporary crown while they make my permanent crown. I'm supposed to get that on July 17th, but my temporary came off today while I was eating. It's a weird sensation to feel something like a crown floating around in your mouth. Thankfully the dentist got me in and re-glued it. I hope it stays in place this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I... took the 505 for Virginia safety inspection. We passed, due to the pre-inspection I did last night of all lights and signals. I hope there aren't any deleterious effects of "DeoxIT" spray--I'm finding it very effective with what have long been troublesome bulbs, sockets and connectors.

...We passed...

that's great! in louisiana where i'm from, they have an annual safety inspection & you get a window sticker when you pass. here in california, there's nothing like that (only smog testing). there are cars here in los angeles that would never pass a safety inspection...

Picked up a custom 3" downpipe for my '00 V70R this past weekend, so hoping to finally get some long awaited mods and repairs done. (Rebuilding and upgrading turbo w/billet compressor wheel, newer R exhaust manifold and shields, better TCV/boost solenoid).

I also need to check front calipers, steering rack and tie rods, and install freshly refinished alloys shod with Michelin AS3's.

Rabin

Hey guys - been pretty inactive recently. I moved back home to the San Francisco Bay Area about 6 weeks ago. Was hoping to spend a lot of time wrenching this summer but it hasn't happened yet. My grandfather passed within 3 days of me being home. He was a big influence on my passion for cars, and used to sit back and watch me wrench on the car all throughout high school and up to the last summer before his passing. He knew cars inside and out and was the top colonel of ordinance in his native country of Iran. I know he owned several Peugeot automobiles back in the 50's and 60's.

Besides his passing, I've been working full and often overtime every week since I moved back home and have a long commute into the city so haven't had much free time other than hitting the gym and going to sleep when I get home (and the party/bullshit) lol.

My motivation to work on the car has also severely been hampered by the fact that the car's finish has already gotten dimples here and there, and finish on the edges of the rear spoiler has been damaged by a shitty car cover and rain. Side moldings came out like shit, so I wanna tear em off and just find a half-decent complete set. My windshield gaskets are busted, and the sunroof isn't fitted on so the car isn't waterproof.

Things haven't been very positive on the Peugeot front for me recently. It's unfortunate, but I haven't been able to get much time or help to work on the car, bu I've started toying with the idea of putting her aside somewhere or letting her go, and moving on.

It's nice however to see some of you guys really getting into your old Pugs and doing what I wish I could do at the moment. I feel like the prime of my Peugeot days really were in high school - boy was that a load of fun (and reckless/stupid) getting sideways on the city streets.

But enough of my sad Peugeot-rants. Joe: about to pick up a '94 CBR600 this weekend for a complete steal. All it needs are new oil lines and a battery. It would be my first bike, and a lot of moto-head friends are telling me that I should start with a 250. So now I'm thinking that if I just flip/sell this bike, I could probably afford a decent starter bike with $$$ left over. Thoughts?

Today I... took the 505 for Virginia safety inspection. We passed, due to the pre-inspection I did last night of all lights and signals. I hope there aren't any deleterious effects of "DeoxIT" spray--I'm finding it very effective with what have long been troublesome bulbs, sockets and connectors.

Hey total shot in the dark - but would you happen to know of a company called Bechtel? I work in the SF office and constantly deal with folks from your town in Reston, VA!

G'nite,

Sina

I can relate to your Peugeot feelings... Back in 2006 I had just moved, was in a new job (which has since defined my career path), and had just bought a new car. I had intended to keep my French Blue '82 TD but with everything else going on, I decided to just get rid of it and move on. I sort of regret that now, but whatever. Things happen the way they do and nothing is permanent. I have a TD now, so I suppose everything worked out.

Regarding your first bike... Everyone always says you should start with a 250, but I didn't and not many of my friends did. You never want to invest too much money in your first bike because, frankly, you're going to crash it. I don't mean like catastrophic broken bone crash (I hope not!), but even like dropping it in a parking lot or something. I dropped mine during the motorcycle training class I was taking :P Speaking of which, those beginner rider classes are pretty alright and I recommend them. Some of them even supply you with a bike.

That old 600 is probably fine, especially if you paid pennies for it. As you become more comfortable and enjoy riding, you'll want something more modern. New 600s are absolute beasts compared to the old ones. A good step up from that 600 might be a mid-2000s CBR600 F4i. Has about 100bhp, and is fuel injected (which is sooooo nice). I know several people who have one and won't part with it because it is such a practical reliable sport bike that never goes wrong. From there you can look at a murder machine like a CBR1000 (or even its predecessor, the 954 like I have). Those are mental. I keep citing Honda models. :) Any Japanese bike is going to be as reliable as the universe and more or less similar. Hondas have their own strengths, as do Yamahas, etc.

Deepest condolences on the loss of your Grandfather Sina - I've known you a lot of years and you've always mentioned him with much respect and admiration, and I know it was a huge loss for you.

505 - I'd love to help with your parts, but shipping things as delicate as the trim strips in the windsheild mouldings will be tough. If I can get an intact set off without breaking them I'll let you know. Is your windshield held in with the rubber - or is it glued in and the rubber just fills the gap?

An alternative is to take it to a good windshield place to see if they can mount it with universal mouldings. This is actually the route I want to take with my car as I want it flush mounted.

Bike: I agree with Joe, and with our avid cycling and mountain biking you should have a decent basis for riding feel. 600's are also quite docile in lower RPM, so they are easy to ride and not ridiculous in response/power at lower RPM. I redid a 93' CBR600F3 for my wife, but after riding it I realized it was WAY too much bike. It was exactly how I said at low RPM, but once it was in its powerband it was a beast. It was pretty light weight, so it pulled pretty damn hard at high RPM.

Best advice I can give is to take a rider training course, and ALWAYS wear bike gear. (Do not be the dude in flip flops, shorts, and a tank top!). Get lots of seat time, and try to build your riding skill set before pushing limits. Biggest temptation is to run the bike through its gears as it sounds and feels awesome - just know that it can get out of hand in a hurry and you need the skills to be safe.

Rabin

This morning the forecast showed dry conditions until the afternoon, so I decided to go for a long bicycle ride. About 10 miles from home, the skies unleashed a fury that I haven't seen in quite a while. Riding a motorcycle in the rain sucks, but this was much worse :P I made it home safely, but it wasn't something I'd like to do again anytime soon.

Annoyingly, the afternoon turned sunny and warm.

• 2 weeks later...

i've been very busy with work and family stuff lately so i haven't had much time to work on my car...it's already been a couple of months since i last updated my build thread! :( i'm going out of town from august 1st - 11th, my plan (hope) is to get my build restarted when i get back. i would really like to show my car at this year's french and italian car show (beginning of november) so if worse comes to worst, i'll bring my car to ukit and have him put the fuel system back together.

in the meantime, i've been buying stuff. here's a recent fun score from ebay.fr:

PhotoJul30110553AM_zpsd0289ffc.jpg

NOS rear ground trees! or as the french call them, prise de masse. the bottom right one is a little crusty but the others look great. alex (tealmax lion on ebay.fr) sells reproductions of the front trees, need to get those as well. alex's trees are galvanized, i'd like to do something like that to these.

interestingly, prise de masse translates into "making/taking ground..." if you do a search on ebay.fr with this term, though, most of what you'll turn up will be protein drinks...they also use this term for protein drinks (making bulk/mass, etc.). i found this item by part number, it was listed as a peugeot 309 part. more astute readers of this forum will remember that the 309 is essentially a larger version of the 205, and both cars were contemporaries of the 505...

andré