What did you do today?

JunktionFET

Joe - I had no idea Jonathan had 4x 505's! I knew about Blackie ('89), but thought Crackie was an '87 or '88 white 505... No idea he had a white 89' as well, or that Crackie was grey. That was pretty damn ago long though. :)

I hope you do save Blackie, and if the white 89 is getting parted if be interested in any left overs of 89 specific bits..

Rabin

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe - I had no idea Jonathan had 4x 505's! I knew about Blackie ('89), but thought Crackie was an '87 or '88 white 505... No idea he had a white 89' as well, or that Crackie was grey. That was pretty damn ago long though. :)

I hope you do save Blackie, and if the white 89 is getting parted if be interested in any left overs of 89 specific bits..

Rabin

Yeah, the white one was his first actually in 1999(?). Bought it from some old lady in the Bay Area and attempted to drive it cross country back home. The engine gave up somewhere just east of Sacramento I think. He had it transported to Pat's shop in Austin where they did a complete rebuild, and a damn good one at that. Two of the bores were severely damaged, so it needed the maximum repair size pistons, and they reportedly got the last set in the US. I believe he also ended up with a brand new head, not a rebuilt one. Of course I suppose that isn't anything to write home about since original heads are junk anyway :)

He got the black car from Long Beach CA and drove it home trouble-free. It was a one-owner car and the dealer that sold it had chromed the wheels and installed gold colored badges (obviously custom made). It had a 30% tint, but when he got it home, he had 5% installed. Thus, the whole car was blacked out aside from the bling bling wheels and badges. Seemed appropriate. :P

Crackie was purchased locally from one of my neighbors at the time. We just happened to see it and struck up a conversation with the owner. He mentioned he was about to try and sell it, and Jonathan basically bought it on the spot. That car originally came from NY and had an insignificant layer of surface rust underneath. Living here in NC, that rusting process came to a halt so it's still in good shape

The burgundy '86 STI was another local find, and a lucky one at that. It was fine until the LF wheel bearing started coming loose and screwed up the threads. The shop that the previous owner had been using failed to crimp the nut correctly :(

At one time there was a fifth 505--another gray '88 that he got in PA, and on 9/11/01 of all days. It had more severe corrosion problems but he was able to get it for cheap. Mechanically it was awesome. That's the car that he blew up the diff with doing donuts. I was working at the shop in Charlotte at the time and replaced it with a 3.08 LSD from an automatic XD2S car. He wanted taller gears, as we've always thought the N9TEA w/ manual had sort of out-grown the 3.46. Believe it or not, the 3.08 worked out really well with the stock N9TEA. Eventually the chassis developed some structural problems from the corrosion and he parted it out. Its engine and transmission are still sitting in his garage if I recall.

I'm currently trying to devise a plan of attack for all my cars as I need to pare down the collection and send parts cars to the scrapper after stripping them of the parts I need, and installing them on the "keeper" cars.

I need to find a spot to gather 5 cars together where I can work on them to remove and swap parts around. If I can manage that I will hopefully be able to offer any good parts I don't need for cheap.

Finding a spot to do that will be hard enough, but the time to do it all even harder...

Rabin

Today I went to work and beat my head against my monitors trying to debug some code that seems completely hell bent on killing me.

Oh and I BOUGHT A PEUGEOT! Well, I got the shipping thing nailed and got the details sorted with Thomas. I'm so damn excited!

Congrats Joe! I'm looking forward to following progress on it...

I'm really hoping to make some progress on my wagon this summer - I miss that diesel clatter way more than I ever imagined... :)

Rabin

that's great news, joe! i look forward to seeing your posts once you get the car. also, let us know how the shipping turns out...

Well I had a Tbelt side job on 95 2g DSM but I never got it done do to my honesty,half way through the job I noticed the vehicle he suffering from good old crank walk. Owner was not happy.

i had a similar situation happen to me last week, guy called me because he was having problems getting his citizenship application (n400) to go through, i told him we can work on it now, you can pay me and pay some additional fees to the government or you can just wait three years and re-apply on your own and you'll have no troubles. guy was very happy, wanted to take many of my business cards and refer his family & friends to me. honesty is always the best policy. :) your guy was obviously not happy, savo, but i'm sure he appreciated your honesty.

andré

Just got back from a northern fly-in fishing trip with 8 other guys. We drove up to La Ronge, SK - then took a short 10min float plane flight into Clam Lake where one of the guys has a family cabin that's on it's own island in the Churchill river system. Outstanding fishing for 4 days - it's what guys that like fishing dream about doing. While I'm very much an amateur fisherman, I had a blast fishing. Very relaxing, but the best part was the shore lunches with fresh caught Walleye pan fried in peanut oil - absolutely amazing.

Highlight of the trip for me however was drinking Scotch, while smoking an authentic Cohiba cigar on the deck as the sun set on the lake with family and friends... It was a very good moment.

Rabin

Got the new car insured and registered, license tag in hand. Just waiting for the arrival of the actual car :)

The 954 desperately needed an oil change, so I obliged and got a bangin deal on 4 quarts of Castrol synthetic. I normally use Mobil 1, but being the thrifty sort I couldn't pass up the sale.

Spoke to Jonathan briefly, and now he's talking about keeping the STI and Mi16 for himself after I help him get them roadworthy again. Need to price out everything to do the timing belt on the Mi16. I figure it needs the timing belt, water pump, probably the idlers, and the drive belts while I'm in there. I hit up Brian Holm about a new strut/spindle/knuckle assembly for the STI, waiting to see if he has one that will work.

Back in late April I sent an email to Velocals regarding custom reproduction decals for my Peugeot Galaxie. I got an automatic response stating they were out of the office until some time in early May. Around mid-May I sent them an email again and got nothing.

Today I re-re-sent the email and got a reply! They sent me a nicely detailed estimate, and honestly it's quite a bit more money than I thought it would be. It's three digits, and the first digit is a 2 :o

So I think I'm just going to get 1 or 2 off-the-shelf Peugeot decal sets that are similar enough--try to keep it as close to the original as possible. Looks like I can at least get a close match to the "Peugeot" lettering and red/orange/yellow chevron on the seat tube, the Lion that goes on the front of the head tube, and the Lions that go on either side of the fork. I'll be missing out on the "Galaxie" lettering and stripes for the top tube :-/

I wrecked my iphone 4 on the fly in fishing trip I did a couple weeks back, and after taking it apart and pricing repair parts I decided to just get a new phone! (I'll attempt the repair with cheap online parts later).

Checked out options with my carrier (Virgin) and decided to jump the Apple ship and got a Samsung S4 Mini. I like the smaller phones, but the larger screen is a welcome improvement.

So far so good - but I'm a total noob with it so far so l'll see how I like it once I get a feel for the app store, moving music, and using Skype instead of Facetime with Arun.

Rabin

Today I re-re-sent the email and got a reply! They sent me a nicely detailed estimate, and honestly it's quite a bit more money than I thought it would be. It's three digits, and the first digit is a 2 :o

:o:o

rabin -- i'll be interested to see what you think about the android OS once you've used it for a while. i finally convinced christie to upgrade to a new iPhone...she's had a 3 (not 3s) forever, i just got her a 5s (gold, 32 gb). she really likes the fingerprint-reader-login, and since we use iCloud it was super easy to migrate her to the new phone. from what i hear, the upcoming iPhone 6 is going to be much larger (like the big samsung); she thinks that my 5 is almost too big, so now seemed like a good time to make the switch.

andré

Today I ordered some parts to get Jonathan's Mi16 back on the road, at least initially. We might install them next weekend, depending on the weather. I also sent some emails to a few salvage yards regarding a front left strut/spindle assembly for the STI.

While surfing fleaBay, I came across this. It's kind of a "barn find"; A Peugeot Comete frame, 58-60cm presumably. Oxidized and whatnot from being out in the elements, but it's cheap for anyone brave enough to tackle it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peugeot-Comete-Vintage-Aluminum-Bike-Frame-Fork-1987-or-1988-/251553812592?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3a91c69070

Cool to hear Jonathan is returning to the fold. If you get a chance to shoot some pics that'd be great.

Need another project like a hole in the head, but I sent a request for a sshipping quote on the Comete... I'd prefer to keep my '89 Mont Blanc stock, but doing up the Comete with modern higher end components is just too appealing!

Rabin

I hate being an enabler, but that won't stop me! You need to join the cool kids like Andre and myself and try to get that frame! :)

Speaking of Jonathan and those cars... I might be Johnny-come-lately on this bit of information, but I noticed RockAuto seems to have the correct valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, and engine gasket sets for the N9T listed in their catalog. Trouble is that if you try to add it to your cart, the parts originate from Europe, and shipping is quoted at over $50.

Ruben checked into the Rock Auto supply and its actually for the 2165cc Douvrin engine and not the 2155vc N9T** engines.

Comete will be bid on if the shipping quote is decent to Plentywood MT, it "calculates" to $115 right now.

Shipping hopefully is reasonable as I'm already thinking about the resto-mod plan for it.

Enabling is just one of the fine features of this site!

Rabin

Crapola on the gaskets! Damn even the pictures look correct, but that's the thing with RockAuto. I love the fact that they have a seemingly unlimited catalog of parts, but it pays to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting. Hopefully I get the correct XU9J4 timing belt and water pump from them :o

That again needs to be taken with a grain of salt as they constantly get new stock, and what they think are Douvrin gaskets could be N9T gaskets - quite the crap shoot.

Shipping for the Comete is now $45 via UPS, which is better, but still seems high. (?)

I'll see what kind of budget I'm looking at before bidding.

Rabin

Joe - can you confirm what the bottom bracket thread is on the Galaxie?

I missed the auction finish last night, but seller might relist with all the compenents minus the wheelset.

I'm hoping I can replace the BB with a standard Hollowtech 2 set up, but if not I'll need to scope out options.

Thanks!

Rabin

Joe - can you confirm what the bottom bracket thread is on the Galaxie?

I missed the auction finish last night, but seller might relist with all the compenents minus the wheelset.

I'm hoping I can replace the BB with a standard Hollowtech 2 set up, but if not I'll need to scope out options.

Thanks!

Rabin

the comete on ebay was late 80s (87 or 88 IIRC), so i'm going to go with british threading...pretty sure all of the late 80s peugeots were british threaded, including joe's bike

andré