What did you do today?

JunktionFET

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The day after Christmas I drove the Peugeot down to Maryland to pick up my mother (original owner of the car) half way between my sister and me. My mother spent Christmas with my sister in Washington DC and then spent a few days with us in New Jersey. Today I drove her home to New Hampshire. I had planned to do that in the Peugeot, but it's making some kind of a noise in the front end, and until I investigate what that is, it seemed prudent not to take an 750mile drive in it, so I rented a car for the trip. They gave me a 2014 Chrysler 200. It was supposed to rain today, and indeed most of the way up that's what it did. The forecast did not call for show anywhere near where I was going today but shortly after crossing into Vermont the rain began to turn to snow and soon became heavy. I guess the plows were caught by surprise too as there was no sign of any snow removal. The side of the highway was littered with spun out cars in the ditch. I even saw one up in a tree. I guess I better explain that one. There was a stretch where the southbound side of the highway was up higher than the northbound side, where I was. I guess the car spun out, went off the edge and landed in the branches of a tree, looking down at us. There were a couple of fire trucks working on that one. I saw one car that was maybe a hundred yards ahead of me do a 360 starting in the left lane and eventually hitting the right side guard rail head on. We got there a few hours later than we expected, but safe and sound. I originally learned to drive in New Hampshire and wasn't worried about my ability to handle these conditions but there sure were a lot of fools around me that gave me reason to worry. Other than this one drive I don't know anything about a Chrysler 200 but It did fine today. Tomorrow I'll head home.

@dave -- glad you made it! any pics of brian holm's place to share? :)

andré

No I didn't bring my camera, and didn't think about my cell phone. I did feel like I was meeting a celebrity. The GPS to his address took me to the location where he had the fire, and all I saw there was some rubble. His current location is next door. He had my parts all laid out for me so I didn't do much wandering around, but I did see a bunch of Peugeots off in the distance out back. He is a long way off from anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Pics or it didn't happen... :)

Now a 405 with the 4G63 swap - that works for me since they're both transverse, and you already have all the experience with them.

If you swapped the AWD - you'd always have a potential buyer waiting in Canada for you to sell it.

Rabin

I remember having time like that to clean properly - I even use a similar brush. :)

I usually pressure wash, then soap and brush the dirty spots, pressure wash rinse, then shop vac excess water and dry it in the sun.

Can't wait to see this car come together - and might be good to start its own build thread. If interested let me know and I can move these posts into a build thread post so that they're all together.

Rabin

My '00 V70R has been throwing a rear O2 CEL (P0036), so few weeks back I replaced it even though it was fairly new - I thought maybe it was damaged.

It still throws the code, so I replaced the MAF as I read a few posts that it can cause weird issues when its on its way out. Still there the code, so I thought it had to be connection / wiring, but as I was taking the intake pipe off I found a split vacuum line. Fixed that and the code stayed off all day yesterday on multiple trips.

Second start today and the damn CEL went off again. I'll check it tomorrow - but pretty sure it's the same code getting thrown. Both O2 sensors have been OEM Bosch replacements - nothing hacked, but I do have an O2 cheater on the rear O2 as previously the replacement catalyst wasn't quite good enough and it threw rear O2 CEL's.

Any ideas?

Rabin

I remember having time like that to clean properly - I even use a similar brush. :)

I usually pressure wash, then soap and brush the dirty spots, pressure wash rinse, then shop vac excess water and dry it in the sun.

Can't wait to see this car come together - and might be good to start its own build thread. If interested let me know and I can move these posts into a build thread post so that they're all together.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin we can do that. I took a lot off photos but my lap top crashed so I can't upload the photos :-(

My '00 V70R has been throwing a rear O2 CEL (P0036), so few weeks back I replaced it even though it was fairly new - I thought maybe it was damaged.

It still throws the code, so I replaced the MAF as I read a few posts that it can cause weird issues when its on its way out. Still there the code, so I thought it had to be connection / wiring, but as I was taking the intake pipe off I found a split vacuum line. Fixed that and the code stayed off all day yesterday on multiple trips.

Second start today and the damn CEL went off again. I'll check it tomorrow - but pretty sure it's the same code getting thrown. Both O2 sensors have been OEM Bosch replacements - nothing hacked, but I do have an O2 cheater on the rear O2 as previously the replacement catalyst wasn't quite good enough and it threw rear O2 CEL's.

Any ideas?

Rabin

It's heater circuit so if it's not bad O2 I would make sure all conections are OK.

Got up to Cayley today. For those who wanted the grand tour, here it is, in three parts due to "complications" during the filming. A few notes before you watch these:

1. In addition to the cars in the video, there are four more: a 1981 5-speed 604 that belongs to my father, a 1986 505 STI (also 5-speed) that belongs to my mother and is my project car for this year (more on that later), and two more 505s that I have purchased from James Peery in California and have not picked up yet - a V6 and another '86 turbo. That will entail a road trip that I will document so that I can bore everyone here with the details... :)

2. I misspoke when talking about the '87 turbo - Rabin helped me buy that car and he gets first choice of any parts that come off it, meaning that those alloys are actually his (Hey Rabin, I found the fourth one BTW - it's in the car under a bunch of parts!)

3. In the backs of most of the pickup trucks in the video are various Peugeot and Renault engines under tarps that I scavenged from Calgary salvage yards back when I was younger and more ambitious. The old Ford van is full of Peugeot parts as well. And the trunks of most of the cars are filled with...more parts. I have a LOT of sorting to do.

4. I am a bit self-concious about this collection. I do sort of feel like some kind of hoarder who's come out of the closet, but for the record I don't like the situation at our property and I intend to change it. Right now there are just too many cars, and all the good parts are deteriorating year by year. I finally have the drive to tackle this task and set about turning my "collection" into useable parts in a protected storage space where they will be of use to people. It's going to take a long time, but I am determined to make significant progress this year. You never get a job done unless you start, and I really want to make a few nice cars out of what I've got here, rather than letting them all rot into the ground like some elephant (or perhaps lion) graveyard.

Okay, after all that preamble I see that I can't upload large video files...I'm going to try to put them on one of my cloud accounts and see if I can link to it. Stand by...

Video's you pretty much need to upload to YouTube or Vimeo, then link them here. You can mark them private if you want so that only people with a link can see them.

Sweet deal on finding the 4th rim! :)

Rabin