What did you do today?

JunktionFET

Right on! I'm trying to convince my parents to replace their 02' XC70 with its *second* transmission on its way out with a P2 V70R 6spd.

Those things are beautiful, and drive soooo much better than the fwd or early p2 xc70s. I say keep the p2 over the x70!

Is this brother different than Arun? If so, quite jealous of your guys' little Peugeot family...

In other news - headed back home tomorrow afternoon for the first time in 3 months. Look forward to installing the sunroof cassette, and new cable.

Also, plan on finishing up the body mouldings...but if I don't end up getting to it this week, its OK, cause I'll be back for x-mas break in another 2 weeks after finals. :D

Sina

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd bet your parents tranny issues are also related to the 5sp valve body as well. If its shift issues like hard up shifts / downshifts then a rebuilt valve body would most likely fix it. Dealer default is to replace rather than diagnose.

Yes - the P2R is just plain ridiculous. It buried the 08' BMW 535 x-Drive touring I tried for fun factor and just felt faster and more fun. Stereo is top notch, and the interior is gorgeous. My 00' R does have more comfy long distance seats though, and with a reflashed ECU and a few mods it would give the new R a run power wise. I'm really hoping to just keep both!

Different brother - There's 3 boys and 2 girls in my family, and I'm the youngest. Prithvi used to share a 504 with Arun and that is what started this whole affliction - but he hasn't had one since.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

I've been studying for Apple Certified Mac Technician, and today I took the hardware test. I thought it was pretty hard but I got a 97% score so I passed. I used every minute of the 2 hours allowed and was really sweating by the time I was done. Now I have to do the Software test, so back to the books to study up for that one. There seems to be a consensus among those who've taken them that the hardware test is harder than the software test. I hope so!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is a pretty long-running thread! I hope nobody minds if I jump in this late in the game.

Today I made the three-hour trip from where I'm currently living to the piece of land where my Peugeot collection resides. About a week ago we got a huge snowstorm province-wide, so I was not entirely surprised to see some of the cars partially-submerged. It was a really beautiful, warm day, so I took my time and wandered around and had a good look at everything. Somehow I always feel very serene when I spend time at that place, and this time was no different. Almost no sound, just me and my thoughts. And my Peugeots. Perfect.

post-648-0-37447400-1387177649_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-55760400-1387177730_thumb.jpg

Dave, my cars are in Alberta, south of Calgary. Altogether I own twenty Peugeots (and a number of Renaults too), of which four are 604s, two are 304s, four are 505 turbos, and the remainder are XN6-powered 505s of various equipment levels. Almost all are 5-speed (or in the case of the 604s, 4-speed) cars. In addition to these, my dad owns a 604SL 5-speed and my mom owns an XN6 STI (five speed as well.) We own 80 acres of land, so there's plenty of room. Most of these are parts cars, but five are drivable and several of the bodies are good enough to fix up. As you can see from the pictures, corrosion due to winter road salt is a serious issue here. In the spring I am adding two more to this collection - an '86 turbo and an STX, and they will likely form the basis for two projects as they are running California cars with no rust. Previously I had planned to pick the two or three best bodies in this collection and go from there. My plan is to gradually pare down this collection over the next few years. Even the worst cars here still have good usable parts, so what I intend to do is put a shipping container near where they are parked and start disassembling them one by one, scrapping the bodies and storing the parts, including any good body panels, doors etc. I want to be left with three 505s - an STX, a Turbo, and an XN6-powered STI. Long-term, I'd like to make one good 304 out of the two, and restore one 604. The remainder of my parts are going to be made available to other Peugeot enthusiasts to help keep their cars on the road.

I started driving Peugeots when I was 17, and I've never found anything I like better. I became very emotionally attached to the cars I drove, so much so that I couldn't bear to see them go to the wreckers when the time came to park them. When other people started getting rid of their Peugeots, I made a point of buying as many as I could and parking them here, since even then they were fairly rare and I knew at some point these parts would be of use to someone. So, that is how I came to have so many cars. Over time I've become somewhat more objective about my collection, so I am now able to make rational decisions about which to keep and which to get rid of.

Anything else you would like to know?

André:

You are correct - an R18i. That one runs quite well, actually. There are at least four of those on the property, as well as three Fuegos and an R12. I don't own all of those, but I do own the silver wagon you spotted.

Savo:

Sounds like a very productive day. Based on your Facebook posts it sounds as though the shop doing the alignment didn't really know what to do with your car. Hope they got it right.

dammit! i was toying with the idea of making thomas an offer on that car later in 2014, you beat me to it! maybe i'll have to buddy up to your friend with the r18i wagon. :)

seriously, though, congrats on the purchase. 405 wagons are cool, and i'm sure thomas is happy to see it go to someone who will take care of it...

andré

Hugh - when you get the chance, please photograph each one of your pugs! Love that sorta stuff...

And congrats on the purchase of James' 505's.. My buddy was planning on buying the turbo, but he was gonna turn it into a drift missile.

Happy that you're taking them to pamper them and give them comfortable lives! :D

Sina, I will definitely document everything and post it soon, but rather than hijacking this thread I'll start a new one or create an album on this site. I'm really excited about getting James's STX and turbo. Both cars will get a thorough going-over when they get here, and I have big plans for both. I took a hiatus from things Peugeot for a few years and kind of let my cars sit and really didn't do much with them. Joining this group and the Peugeot North America FB page has reignited my interest in a big way. It's great to see what others are doing with their cars, and the passion is infectious. Your STI is a good example of what I'm talking about - beautifully done, by the way.

Hugh mentioned this trip, and invited me along if I could make it... Chances are slim to none that I could make the trip with him - but man would it be cool to come along for the ride if it meant it was becoming a Peugeot meet! (Plus I've never been to California!)

Big thing will be how much time off needed to make the trip, but it's not too bad, I'd consider making this my fun trip for the year. (Last year was PPIHC - I usually get one "guys" trip a year to do some cool car adventure).

If it happens though Hugh, and I can make it - we might have to fetch your Lions in a Lion.... It's the only proper way to do it. :D

Rabin

If you can make it, Rabin, so much the better. That'll turn a good trip into a great trip! I am not planning a long trip; like you I can't afford to be gone too long, so it'll be just enough time to do the job properly. Still, if it means meeting some other Peugeot drivers along the way, that will be fantastic.

We were treated to two days of record high temperatures Saturday and Sunday. In fact, yesterday's high was the all time highest temperature ever reached this late in the year since temperatures have been recorded. O_O

Today it's back to business as usual. Cold front rolling though, lots of rain and wind, temperature plummeting. I think it will be back below freezing overnight.

Anyway I took advantage of the weather and detailed the car inside and out. I haven't had a chance to do so in a while due to the weather. I never thought I'd be hosing down a car, in shorts and flip flops, less than a week from Christmas. Is this what living in Florida or southern California is like?

Today I made some stuff! Many years ago I bleeding the brakes solo, on a Peugeot no less, and my air powered vacuum bleeder stopped working. There's no way I was going to use my hand operated mighty-vac to finish the job, so I went out to the "graveyard", grabbed a Hella cruise control vacuum pump from a junked 505 Turbo, hooked it up to the bleeder bottle, and made a 12v powered vacuum bleeder.

I've loaned that contraption out numerous times since then and people love it. It's also less wrought with risk than the pressure bleeders that connect to the master cylinder. A good friend of mine and my little brother especially like it, so I made some new ones as gifts. I took some spare Hella cruise control pumps I had, bought a pair of Nalgene bottles, some tubing, fittings, wiring, switches, and a pair of cupholders. The cupholders are anchored to the pump and the bottle sits inside as a nice tidy unit. There's 20 feet of wiring with an inline fuse and alligator clips for connection to a battery. A metal toggle switch is mounted to the pump to turn it on or off. Here are the finished products:

post-47-0-83902700-1387846577_thumb.jpg

Fantastic idea on the brake bleeder set up! Can you tell me what the hella part number is?

Also just for a temp reference - when we travelled to he inlaws Sunday night the car outside temp was showing -23F... (-32C). Not a record low temp, but still aweful damn cold.

Rabin