new guy in here(1985 505 turbo injection n9te)

boundish

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. Just wow.

The car looks amazing my friend! What is your plan for the deeper scratches? I've read about using touch up paint and then wet sanding and polishing out - but curious if that would be something you'd try.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin , i love working on the car , its quality time to me haha :)

I not sure what i will do with those scratches yet. They are deep , but have not gone trough the clear coat .. maybe just as you said wetsand ,but instead just slightly and just painting with clear coat . Not too worried though ,would have been worse if they had gone trough the clear coat , beacuse then it could start rusting..

beautiful, great job. :)

andré

Thanks andré :)

A little off topic but i got to drive an 86 e class mercedes with the 3.0l I6 , and while the I6 iwas very smooth indeed , it could not match the 505 for ride quality. Not by far , the 505 truly is a gem overlooked by most , but loved by those who know and own them :)

Not gone through clear is very good - I'd be tempted to try touch up with clear first then wet sand so that you don't have to sand down the clear so much.

Another option would be x-cote. I had it done on my 2000 Volvo and was shocked at how much clear coat damage it fixed.

One other suggestion I would make is to remove the gutter trim. I remove it from all my cars as it's usually faded and looking terrible. Underneath it's painted and looks much better - but the only caveat is that the plastic is very brittle and it will break - so if you decide to remove there's no going back.

Rabin

Not gone through clear is very good - I'd be tempted to try touch up with clear first then wet sand so that you don't have to sand down the clear so much.

Another option would be x-cote. I had it done on my 2000 Volvo and was shocked at how much clear coat damage it fixed.

One other suggestion I would make is to remove the gutter trim. I remove it from all my cars as it's usually faded and looking terrible. Underneath it's painted and looks much better - but the only caveat is that the plastic is very brittle and it will break - so if you decide to remove there's no going back.

Rabin

Yeah im leaning more towards clear coat touchup

and wetsand->polish.

As for the gutter mouldings im pretty unsure about what to do with them they aren't pretty ,but im worried that it might look like somethings missing if i take them off ..

about a year ago i saw a piece of NOS gutter trim for sale on eBay.com.au (ebay australia). they only wanted US$50-60 for it, but when i contacted them about shipping they said it would cost over $200 because they had to build a custom crate for it because it was so oddly-shaped and fragile. i decided against it, as it was only one side...if they had been offering a set i might have done it.

personally, i prefer the look of the car without the gutter trim. but there are a lot of different types of "chrome plastic" edge trims out there, i'm surprised nobody has fabbed something up yet. the actual gutter itself (the body metal under the plastic trim) is just like a pinch weld, lots of edge moldings for that...

andré

I'll take a picture of my cars so you can see what it looks like. Funny thing is that it's the very first "mod" that I do to any new aquisition.

Andre - I'm sure you're right about finding something that works, but I prefer the painted rail. I've actually always wanted to shave the drip rails, but that would take some decent tig welding skills.

Rabin

about a year ago i saw a piece of NOS gutter trim for sale on eBay.com.au (ebay australia). they only wanted US$50-60 for it, but when i contacted them about shipping they said it would cost over $200 because they had to build a custom crate for it because it was so oddly-shaped and fragile. i decided against it, as it was only one side...if they had been offering a set i might have done it.

personally, i prefer the look of the car without the gutter trim. but there are a lot of different types of "chrome plastic" edge trims out there, i'm surprised nobody has fabbed something up yet. the actual gutter itself (the body metal under the plastic trim) is just like a pinch weld, lots of edge moldings for that...

andré

I have looked alot on various ebay sites for those mouldings, but never found any :P , have also found it can be expensive to trawl ebay with "peugeot 505 NOS" as search criteria hah.
name="Bean" post="23834" timestamp="1429629425"]

I'll take a picture of my cars so you can see what it looks like. Funny thing is that it's the very first "mod" that I do to any new aquisition.

Andre - I'm sure you're right about finding something that works, but I prefer the painted rail. I've actually always wanted to shave the drip rails, but that would take some decent tig welding skills.

Rabin

Pictures would be great ! , cutting the gutters off would make it look wierd wouldnt it ? I I mean the windowframe on the door might protude(correctly spelt?) from the roofline i think .

Im a bit conservative with the mods i do to the car , i make sure that what i do can be reversed to stock easily :)

Peugeot only made 9500 copies of the version i have ,you know :)

Gutters are a major source of wind noise in these cars, so even removing the plastic made a difference...

Removing them entirely would be a big job since it's a pinch weld - but if done well it would be flush with the door frames. Not saying I'd attempt it on anything - but I do wonder about it, just like I wonder about making a 2 door 505 coupe. :)

Rabin

Gutters are a major source of wind noise in these cars, so even removing the plastic made a difference...

Removing them entirely would be a big job since it's a pinch weld - but if done well it would be flush with the door frames. Not saying I'd attempt it on anything - but I do wonder about it, just like I wonder about making a 2 door 505 coupe. :)

Rabin

Yeah the wind noise is somewhat annoying , but i can live with it :)

505 turbo coupe would be sweet , have you seen the coupe concept car? I think the c-pillars look strange on that car , they should have used the sedan c pillar

One mod i have been wanting to do is swapping the "undercarriage" on the front passenger seat for one from a rhd driver seat .. So that both seats are height/tilt adjustable , beacuse you sit a bit high in the passenger seat in the 505 ... The provlem is locating a rhd drivers seat hehe.

I have a spare driver side seat track that I will try modifying to fit the passenger side. I want the handle beside the console so I plan to modify it to suit.

Aparently we're very much like minded!

:)

Rabin

I have a spare driver side seat track that I will try modifying to fit the passenger side. I want the handle beside the console so I plan to modify it to suit.

Aparently we're very much like minded!

:)

Rabin

yeah apparently we are :) i think its fun to tinker with the car and come up with improvements that can be done without hurting originalty. i hope i can loctate a rhd set of rails with time . I did buy the handle plastic from ebay though NOS , i couldnt resist

IMG_20150422_180505.jpg

Cost me 10 usd , so now i ifnd a seat or rails and the handle is worn or damaged i have new one :P I mean what are the odds for finding one , thats why i just snapped up it when i saw it.

I tried to take out the pass. seat today to have a look at what the underside looks like , the mechanics of it. But on the first twist of the ratchet wrench it felt like the nut on the underside came loose so im not sure what to do now ..And i cant get to it beacuse its in the floor. Thought the nut was supposed to be welded on the underside.. any thoughts?

In other news i still haven found out why its not running smooth ( i have a topic here on that as you know) . So i decided to have a look at the AFM

IMG_20150323_171218.jpg

It was bit oily in that tract by the flap ( scracthes are from a mechanic trying the flap i think)

IMG_20150323_172638.jpg

Inside was nice and dry , but it had been opened before i think beacuse the glue was not original , i think it must be from when they(peugeot dealer) changed the camshaft many many years ago .. maybe they checked the afm before they found out it was the camshaft. Apparently there was a problem with he camshafts on these cars.

IMG_20150323_173324.jpg

I moved the feeler arm so that it got fresh material i followed this guide http://www.the944.com/afm.htm , its for porsche 944 but the bosch afms of the 80s are

similar so it can be used here too :)

IMG_20150323_173351.jpg

Could my problem be this oil vapur hose connection on the intake hose be my problem ? looks like its sweating

IMG_20150422_151447.jpg

Thinking if it might be letting air in thats unmetered :huh:

• 3 months later...

Vinyl wrap of faded matte black door paint .

I decided to try my hand at vinyl wrapping the faded matte black areas on the doors.

First some pictures of the areas .

136b6fa0-028a-46d3-8fee-b94a24d63f84.jpg

IMG_20150622_150108.jpg

IMG_20150622_143443.jpgIMG_20150418_092151.jpg

Only have pics of application on the left side of the car but its the same process .

This is the first time i tried vinyl wrap default_smile.png

First step was measuring everything and then i cut strips that i applied.

IMG_20150622_144937.jpg

IMG_20150622_151106.jpg

IMG_20150622_152358.jpg

IMG_20150622_155735.jpg

Left rear door finished.

IMG_20150622_162426.jpg

Left front door finished . Im going to fix the spot by the wind screen , when i find the time default_smile.png

IMG_20150622_170030.jpg

B-pillar.

IMG_20150622_170418.jpg

The last little piece by the rear left door.

IMG_20150622_171546.jpg

Done..

IMG_20150622_172028.jpg

That was all the pics i took during application , before i started i feard that it would be incredibly fiddly and that i would get a lot of bubbles , but as it turned out the wrap was a joy to work with , it streched real good and bubbles came out easily default_smile.png

Pic of the right side after i was finished.

IMG_20150622_172951.jpg

The vinyl wrap i used was 3M 1080 Matte deep black M22 default_smile.png

Excellent work! Do you think the vinyl wrap would be a good way to dechrome the chrome handles? (On my black car the chrome handles seem out of place - black chrome or black would look better on my car... )

You're 505 is definitely one of my all time favorites - it's just so nice.

Rabin

Thanks ,i feel lucky to have it! I think the wrap could work just great for the doorhandles , i have pressure washed the car a couple of times sice i applied the wrap and it has gotten some strong sunlight and it seem to hold just fine , no slippage and no fade :-) so yeah i think it will work . You can get the wrap on ebay in different sizes .

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous area you live in, perfect place to enjoy your 505!

Not sure if I'm just noticing now, but the headlight wipers are super cool! I've tried finding headlight wipers to retrofit - but no luck so far.

Rabin

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...