new guy in here(1985 505 turbo injection n9te)

boundish

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the appreciation!

The car is now in winter storage in a dry garage that is constant at 15°c . I plan to give it a polish and i also have to find out why it is not pulling as well as it did before .

In august last year i was out driving the car and did some full throttle pulls mostly from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th it may sound like i was hooning/driving the car very hard ,but i can assure you that the engine was up to temperature and i did not take it to the limiter:-) anyway the last time i did it the overboost sensor kicked in and limited the car , so naturally i drove the car straight home and quickly found out the the rubber

tube between the turbo and wastegate had slipped of on the wastegate end so i replaced the hose with a new one on placed new clamps on both ends . Then i went to test and the limiter did not kick in but the car was a bit slower than before , so i went back to the garage and checked all the clamps and seals from the

turbo to the intake , but still the same , so im thinking that the wastegate might have become faulty in some way .. any toughts? I greatly appreciate all help !

Best regards boundish

• 1 month later...

A bit late on this one Boundish, but the hose was slightly leaking on boost essentially giving you higher boost levels.

Now that its all tight you get exactly what the wastegate determines. Without a boost gauge you won't know, but you can ensure its properly set and not opening too soon.

Rabin

Hi again people. I sorted ut the problem , it was a leak between the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler.

Took it for a drive today since the backroads were finally dry , the spring is late this year in Norway you see.

post-1256-0-48029700-1365370904_thumb.jp

Also have a clip where i do a 2nd gear pull from ca 40kmh , its not the best clip beacuse i used one hand to hold the phone so i had to push the clutch in instead of shifting up and so on . https://vimeo.com/63522228

The round indicator lights mid fender were fitted to all 505 i Norway by the importer when they arrived from the factory in france , beacuse in Norway you have to have indicators on the side on cars made after 1980(i think it was 1980 , but not sure). Yes im so glad it was that easy as i was really puzzled by it .

The photo was taken in our drive way. It was 9 C° in the shade here yesterday, usually its around 13-14c° at this time of year .

Im also getting a gopro hero 3 in the mail soon , so hope to put together a little video soon.

• 1 year later...

Hey! its been a while( sorry about that) so i thought i might do a litlle sitrep :)

Where to start .. well in october last year the hydraulic cylinder on the steering rack failed completly and spilled all the power steering fluid while i was drivng around town. Luckily i was just 2 km from my fathers garage where the car is stored , so i drove it back and parked it hoping the power steering pump had not failed too from running dry. I was planning on fixing it during the winter but much working and moving to a new apartement and renovating it ment i did not have time for the car so it has sat in the garage and still is beacuse i just have not had the time sadly . I have however managed to source a replacemnt cylinder so thats taken care of atleast :) Now i plan on fixing this so that i can drive the car again.

Ive taken a few random pictures lately and a clip i thought i would share:

Interior pic taken in the garage , (Note: no blank buttons on this one , its got every option besides A/C)

IMG_20140705_132157.jpg

All the papers on the car

IMG_20140705_143314.jpg

replacement cylinder

IMG_20140707_181453.jpg

http://vimeo.com/99980527

The idle sounds rough and clonky in the clip , but thats just the cellphone camera mic thats bad.

i H

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates Boundish..

Make sure to check the metal lines to the ram as well as they are known to crack when the ram bushing gets soaked with oil and deteriorates causing play. That play ends up cracking the lines and causes a big leak.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi a small update .

the power steering has been sorted out and all is well :)

A pair of fresh pics:

IMG_20140831_154938.jpg

505 Turbo & 605 2.5 turbodiesel. Cylinder head recently cracked on the 605 :unsure: so it will probably be parted out, because a new cyl.head is the eq. of 1500 usd w/o valves ... it has done almost 200.000 miles though.

IMG_20140823_121018.jpg

Just washed :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

beautiful! thanks for posting. :)

your license plates -- is that some sort of special historical vehicle plate set?

andré

The plates are Temporary numberplates :mellow:

Here is a few lines from :

Norwegian Public Roads Administration

Temporary plates (trade plates) may be used only on vehicles that are not registered. They may be used only for the following purposes:

• Moving a vehicle from one place to another
  • Test-driving (in connection with repairs, etc.)
  • Demonstration (for example, a dealer's demonstration of a new model)
  • Driving in connection with registration

But the police is not very strict on this , so they will let you pass if youre just out for a short ride as long as you dont use the plates for everyday use.

There is not much police around here anyway , was pulled over one time but that was just beacuse the officer wanted to have a chat about the car :P .

The car will be registered next year anyway beacuse its 30 years next year so then i dont have to use the temp plates anymore.

When a car or motorcycle is 30 years or older i norway it considered a "veteran" car and the annual road tax and insurance falls considerably . Thats why its not registred yet :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys !

Small update.

The car passed inspection and i now have real license plates ! I have not registred it before beacuse when a car is 30 years or more in norway its considered a classic . "classic" cars are much cheaper to insure and the annual road tax goes down from ca 410 usd to ca 50 usd and it now has full insurance up to 6500usd wich cost ca 100usd per year.

Here are a few pictures from today
IMG_20150320_180302.jpg

IMG_20150320_180444.jpg

IMG_20150320_174434.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Update.

Took an exterior shine on the car today ,thought i should post it here.

The goal was to bring up the shine and remove most of the scratches, but I had to leave some scratches beacuse they were quite deep.

Did not take pictures during the washing unfortunately, but it went like this:

The car was soaked in surfex hd 1:15(degreaser) for about 6-7 min, then korrosol( particle remover) from the windows and down as well as the wheels and i finised with a hand wash.

Just wahsed.

IMG_20150418_103425.jpg

Dried the car with compressed air and a drying towel.

Started masking the body mouldings so that i did not get polish on them.

IMG_20150418_112103.jpg

Some pictures of defects in the paint. I must add that it was difficult to capture defects on silver metallic paint with the phone camera.

Scratches on right front door.

IMG_20150418_112514.jpg

Spot on the bonnet.

IMG_20150418_112446.jpg

Some bad scratches down on the dark gray part on the right front door and front wing. The only logical reason to me is that the previous owner has washed with a sponge and dropped it on the ground and continued using it.

IMG_20150418_112149.jpg

Started on the hood first with a Flex PE14 rotary polisher and 3M fastcut wich is a heavy rubbing compound .

As you can faintly see on the picture it leaves patterns on the paint , this was easily removed with superfine polish.

IMG_20150418_122034.jpg

When I was done with the hood i started on the front right wing.

IMG_20150418_161300.jpg

Here is a kind of 50/50 bottom of the wing toward the door, the screen was as bad as the door.

Got rid of most of the scratches, but the deepest had to be left (the spots on the door is in the paint ,not sand )

IMG_20150418_130155.jpg

Got a little too focused on the car and the pictures became fewer.

Here is the right door finished.

IMG_20150418_132220.jpg

Right side finished.

IMG_20150418_154434.jpg

That was it from the polishing, but I was simply a bit too eager and forgot to snap more ..

Here I have started adding Swissvax Pneu(rubber conditioner) on rubber strips on doors and wings while the wax i just applied was cureing on the paint.

IMG_20150418_164045.jpg

Mouldings around the windows also get Pneu.

IMG_20150418_164518.jpg

The same with the tires. As you may see in the pictures the wheels are peeling a bit and have started to corrode slightly .. I plan to get them sandblasted and repainted.

IMG_20150418_165423.jpg

Plastic details such as bumpers, mirrors and various others got Polytrol( a great plastic rejuvinator with very good durability), one can barely make out an RDS that was too deep on the hood to the right of the lion.

IMG_20150418_170305.jpg

The wax lay on the paint while i applied polytrol and pneu and now it was time to buff it off.

IMG_20150418_171638.jpg

The wax was Swissvax Shield.

IMG_20150418_171645.jpg

Then came the rain , but itook two pictures of the car finished

IMG_20150418_172708.jpg

IMG_20150418_172737.jpg

The next thing I intend to go at is the matte black field around the windows and doors, its quite worn and peeling so I ordered 3M 1080 matte black vinyl and thought to try it out.

Wow. Just wow.

The car looks amazing my friend! What is your plan for the deeper scratches? I've read about using touch up paint and then wet sanding and polishing out - but curious if that would be something you'd try.

Rabin