Giving a 505 another chance

norcal505

Hey Rob! Im currently living in bakersfield I co-own a crossfit gym with my good buddy, but I'm going to be leaving bakersfield and moving back to Socal Santa Monica to be exact. I have a buisness opportunity to further my involvement in the fitness industry. But Back to the point of this reply....I love LOVE the mesh style rims you have on the Bimmer. just need to get the center hub covers on and it will done! But I'm still loving the E30! Those 3-ers were damn durable virturaly indestructuable cars. I see A ton of them on the roads in LA all the time. Actually saw a E30 M3 in traffic on the 405 freeway a few weeks ago. It was Gun metal gray with the rare blood red interior leather. Awesome car. And then a few moments later I saw a 1990 MB Cozworth 2.5! It was a good day for car sitings! If I was a passenger and NOT the driver I would have taken some snaps of the two of them. What size are those wheels on the E30? I love my E90 Touring Wagon. I've had it nearly 2 years and get excited to get in it and drive somewhere. I forget I'm in a wagon sometimes LOL. The few engine mods I've done have really made an already great car better. Are you taking the 505 to SD with you or are you keeping it SF?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha I was thinking about adding the BBS center caps too, but I decided not to - only because I'm [very] passively working on a set of new & very sought-after wheels to really set off the car (think e34 m5 ;)) ... and I'd rather divert the money to help refurbish those. I'm starting to like these 16" style 5's though - definitely better looking than the 14" bbs weaves that came on the E30 iS models..

The E30 m3 is definitely one of my dream cars...and all the more motivation to get my degree. Gotta love the cars you see on the roads here in SoCal.

Santa Monica is beautiful. If I had to live in the LA area, it would mos def be in the Santa Monica area.

I don't really plan on ever bringing the 505 down to San Diego, but only beacuse I know it'd get thrashed if I did. With the way things are this fall (a full academic scheudle of classes, 18 hrs/week for the crew team, and 12 hrs/week for work), the e30 is *really* taking a beating, and I'd be way too scared to do it in the newly revived Peugeot.

I definitely plan on bringing it down for some good times though, maybe next summer, or at the very end of the school year next June, to flaunt it around PB and La jolla with the sunroof back B).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10720052633/'>10720052633_516f45511e_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10720052633/'>Rouge Amaryllis by http://www.flickr.com/people/norcal505/'>sina.pour, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10719774715/'>10719774715_28b06a2a81_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10719774715/'>Rouge Amaryllis by http://www.flickr.com/people/norcal505/'>sina.pour, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10719852364/'>10719852364_3663b487eb_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10719852364/'>Rouge Amaryllis by http://www.flickr.com/people/norcal505/'>sina.pour, on Flickr

WOW She looks beautiful! I'm anxious to see all the little details finished on it. When are you putting the wheels on the Bimmer?

Next summer at the soonest. This super busy quarter has kept my car-time at an all time low...sooooo many things I need to fix on the E30 but no time. <_<

Headed home though in a week and half for thanksgiving break (huh?) and gonna be putting in a solid work day into the Peugeot.

Gonna get my dad, mom, and sister to all hopefully lend a hand in the garage so work goes by quickly. :)

• 1 month later...

Finals ended last Friday, so I headed back to Northern California on Saturday. Took the 101 so I stopped in Woodland hills for a quick Topanga/Mullholland drive and a pit stop in San Luis Obsipo to visit an old friend. Needless to say, happy to be back home and having the time to do a little bit of wrenching!

Took it out for the first time in a good while last night. Earlier in the day, my buddy Conner and I met up with Thomas at the Pick N Pull over in Oakland 10 mins from my parents' house. Had an impromptu meet. Thomas grabbed a bunch of parts off of an '89 505 Sedan (which I used to see on the streets a few years ago..sigh), and I grabbed a few things that I needed for my BMW.

Anyways, got to properly take the car out for the first time in a few months. Runs great, but still has a that electical short blowing the interior illumination's fuse.

I suspect that it's due to the wiring of the HU, which got shifted around in the wreck and I still haven't fixed for some reason lol.

Plans for this week are to take the car into the body shop to have the chrome restored on the side molding, then subsequently mount them back on.

Also plan on attacking the sunroof head on...only problem is that my BMW has a list of shit that I need to address.

I'm selling my 16" BBS style 5's in order to fund it. I enjoyed the "stance" look for a little bit, but I'm really sick of the form over function thing...

I realized that I wasn't maximizing my utlity with those wheels, so I grabbed a set of stock 14" "bottlecaps" with really nice tires for $50 from a dude near my place in San Diego. :blink:

Will also be installing H&R Race springs (replacing the soft Eibachs), Bilstein Sport shocks, tons of bushings, VC gasket and oil pan gaskets. Tons o' maintaince..

Stay tuned for some hefty updates over the next couple of weeks!

Sina

11096795326_b800cfaa07_b.jpg

11320584494_d5a65f9ecb_b.jpg

11426872194_b2684ea9df_b.jpg

11426970024_dd0f84464a_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

copy/pasted from r3vlimited:

slow updates. the car was sitting under a rain-proof cover outside my parents house since the summertime.
while the paint job/body work was spot on, the front and rear windshields weren't installed properly - the gaskets are both shot.

in the past couple of days, i made some headway with the help of some of buddies and my dad in regards to the sunroof install.
installed the new electric sunroof cable (a PITA and a half..) as well as the side molding on all 4 corners. All that's left with that is the doors...

what's left for the exterior?
-finish door mouldings
-pair of cibie french fogs
-pin stripe (still on the fence bout that)
-painting the lion on the front grille silver
-installing the sunroof cassette
-installing the glass one-piece european headlights
-track down another set of 15" STI wheels to refinish and wrap in some sticky tires
-stiffer springs from the turbo model
-thicker sways from the turbo model
-and some other shit that im forgetting.

the interior is FAR from where I want it, and I want to lift out the engine to tackle the bay, firewall, and other misc electrical grem's that have been around for years.

still got another few years before I see it being my ideal sunday driver, but in the meantime i'm back to school. next time i'll see it is next summer, hopefully!

11635411535_bc324fdace_b.jpg
11635604024_d65d7c787f_b.jpg

• 10 months later...

Looks like a year just shy of a month has gone by since I last posted here.

Sorry for the redundant post people on PNA ... (or maybe that's everyone here by now? )

Updates:

• Installed a working radio. It's a Blaupunkt Key West. Not too awesome, but not complete junk. Looks OEM..5 years old. Came off the BMW. It has an iPod/Aux cable that hides away nicely in the glove box. Decent bass/mid-range speakers too. I'm happy.
  • Sealed up the windshields (I think). A small piece or two from the pieces of a '88 Turbo Sedan broke in the process of doing so. But it's MUCH better than before. The inlays that slide into the rubber are definitely - wish the windshield guy hadn't lost mine.
  • All of the car's side molding is on. As Andre noted, it adds a lot of contrast and gives the car a different look. And protection.
  • The sunroof cassette is now fitted properly on the roof, but doesn't move back and forth. New cable I bought from a member here with a heavy duty retrofit that have been having a trouble with (maybe because of the HD retrofit). Still trying to get a hold of him.
  • Was given a new grille by the Hanzel family (big Citroen guys in downtown Oakland). Thanks guys, y'all are the best!!
  • Need to figure out how to properly install the front spoiler with the other pieces of hardware that I have.
  • Need to find a pair of Bosch Pilots to install in front of that front spoiler (with a new horn, cause one of them's shot!)
  • Tranny is driving me nuts with its whooped 1st & 3rd synchros. I need to locate a new low-mileage BA7/5 at some point.
  • Want to fix the interior lights which are for the most part burnt out, dim, or loosely connected
  • I am currently just itching to install the European Glass headlamps in a couple of weeks. Waiting on the hardware.
  • Car needs an interior. If anyone sees a 505 Sedan being parted out with any color leather interior except blue & bluish gray let me know!
  • Need to get the car smogged in 2 weeks (already paid reg/insurance but I failed to get it to pass in the allotted time I was given in September). It will need a new cat, and hope to do the catback exhaust at the same time. Something subtle, no drone, no rasp.
  • Lots of other stuff needs to be done - don't be fooled by the car's new shiny appearance <_< ...... :)

Here are some quick photos I snapped the other day.

15287639333_09fff0e734_b.jpg

15906631642_92f457e319_b.jpg

15905320191_0472a17be4_b.jpg

the exterior looks great! :)

Need to get the car smogged in 2 weeks (already paid reg/insurance but I failed to get it to pass in the allotted time I was given in September). It will need a new cat, and hope to do the catback exhaust at the same time. Something subtle, no drone, no rasp.

i have a question about this -- currently, my car is non-op. i just got the registration renewal in the mail (US$82). if i pay it, i get the registration stickers and i have 6 months to pass smog, correct? what happens if i don't pass in that time? it's california, so i'm thinking more fees..... <_<

andré

the exterior looks great! :)

i have a question about this -- currently, my car is non-op. i just got the registration renewal in the mail (US$82). if i pay it, i get the registration stickers and i have 6 months to pass smog, correct? what happens if i don't pass in that time? it's california, so i'm thinking more fees..... <_<

andré

Merci Monsieur Thibodeaux. You pay the reg, then have to go to the smog shop with your DMV paperwork.

If you pass, they'll put it in the system directly, and you'll receive your stickers in the post.

If you do not pass, you have to go back to the DMV (*shivers*), show them that you failed, and you'll receive in most-cases a 1-month long temp tag that you have to stick onto your rear screen (like I have).

If you are unable to get the car smogged in that time period (I was purely lazy/preoccupied), you have to go back to the DMV, explain why (I could have used the fact that my alternator died as an excuse), and they'll give you an extension. I think that costs money - not sure.

Is your car running yet?

Is your car running yet?

only in my imagination. current target is january 2015.

i did some checking and it turns out that since my car failed so badly in the past, it's now classified as a gross polluter and i will have to get it smogged at a STAR station. for non-californians, most smog-testing sites are privately-run business that are test-only -- they don't fix cars, they only test them. this is to remove the temptation from the smog testers to drum up business for themselves. the STAR stations are test and repair sites -- i don't recall if they are state-owned or privately owned (and closely monitored). the deal is, if you fail you can have your car repaired at the STAR station and if you spend up to US$450 and it doesn't pass, then you can give the car to the state (which crushes it, i'm thinking) and take a $1,000 deduction on your taxes. i may be wrong about the exact amounts, but that's the basic deal. you can fix the car yourself, but anything you spend anywhere but the STAR station doesn't count towards the $450. this is a complicated system, but the idea is that poor people are typically the ones who have shitty, polluting cars that they cannot afford to fix. so the state puts a ceiling on the price of repairs and gives you a way out if you can't get the car fixed for that price.

both unit and jessie (at dubarr) tell me that any reasonably-well-cared-for 505 can pass smog so i'm optimistic. if it all goes pear-shaped, however, i'd take a loss on the car and see it go out of state or to one of our friends in the non-smog parts of california before i'd see it crushed. almost everything i've spent up to this point could be used on another car.

andré