Giving a 505 another chance

norcal505

I may be wrong but I don't think the Euro ones mount in the fender. I think they mount in the Euro bumper which you don't have, and even if you did you'd have to do something with the holes in your fenders. I'm especially unsure about the back. I would think at least in the front you could put just that little piece of trim that holds the side markers back on with out needing the rest of it. If it were me, as nice as it looks without the trim, I'd want to protect that beautiful paint, and I would put all the side trim back on, just to keep it safe(er) in a parking lot. Failing that I think the small surrounds on the front marker lights would look fine without the rest of the trim.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dave -- european 505s don't have the side marker lights, the legal requirements were different at that time. the only side marker lights the 505 had were in a couple of markets (maybe germany?) -- it was a small round amber light on the front fender behind the front wheels (as seen on this phase 2 505):

car-peugeot-505-1-8-1_zps7a6f74d0.jpg

andré

Dave you make a good case in regards to installing the molding back on.

I must concur that with their raised rubberized surface, they do certainly protect the rest of the paint on the doors, say on a vertical surface area, were the door to get hit.

I do plan on reinstalling the trim at some point - but they currently don't look good enough for me to install.

I'm going to see if I can locate a proper chrome striping type trim to restore my own with - and if I cant, then I'll need to track down a new set.

In other news: I was listening to my 505's stereo while wrenching the other day. Sure enough, I drained the battery (lolz).

When I jumped the car using one of those mobile-start battery boxes they sell at Costco, the stereo suddenly stopped working.

Fuse is okay, and so is the wiring behind the head unit itself. I'm puzzled. Just when I was planning on grabbing my shades and going for a ride with the top back ^_^

Any ideas as to what I could have done?

Marker lights: nothing says you have to use Peugeot markers, plenty of older cars have panel mounted marker lights that would work well. I planned on doing something similar with my 504 but decided to fill the holes instead - but Datsun 240z marker lights were likely the replacements I'd use.

An alternative for keeping the sides clean look would be to use 3M stone guard in strips as replacements. Properly installed you'd barely see it and it would offer decent damage protection.

Sina - car looks better than new and very Euro series 1... I can't help wonder what the quad headlight surrounds would look blacked out though!

Rabin

Thanks again guys.

Rabin, I'm not the biggest fan of the blacked out surrounds for the quads.

However, I did refinish the silver and the black on the edges the surrounds.

That is only temporary though, as I plan on mounting my Euro lamps this winter when I'm back home.

I have some perfect selective yellow French bulbs that I am very eager to fit on those :D

BTW went and paid a visit to my local Peugeot mechanic/family friend to wish him a happy rosh hashanah and show him the car.

He came out with a NIB rear quarter (with chrome inlay) :o trim for the car...but only had that piece.

Cannot wait to refinish mine with the chrome this winter as well.

Sina

1184769_10152270763545200_1944770177_n.j

Once you get the euro's installed, let me know if you want to sell the quad set up - ideally with the matching '83 grill...

I really like the blacked out headlight surround look... :) I may even have some Bosch Pilot driving lights to trade... (I'd have to verify condition)

Rabin

Once you get the euro's installed, let me know if you want to sell the quad set up - ideally with the matching '83 grill...

I really like the blacked out headlight surround look... :) I may even have some Bosch Pilot driving lights to trade... (I'd have to verify condition)

Rabin

Sounds like a deal to me! Let's for sure discuss that when I'm back for winter break.

Also need to find the package Salman sent me, which is lost in my parents' garage aka the jungle.

Btw - did you find the stereo power problem yet? You might want to check the power distribution block just off the positive battery cable... There are 5-6 power wires that branch of fit for various circuits and interior accessories would be one ove them.

Rabin

Found the problem! One of the fuses behind the h.u. in the circuit was loose.

Furthermore, I had an identical problem to my BMW with its aftermarket unit in which the illumination/ground wire was causing a short and blowing out the fuse for the dash & instrument lights.

Fixed that while I was at it too.

Spent the greater majority of my evening (procrastination) getting the Bimmer ready for the drive back to school, that I'll be embarking on early tomorrow morning.

Will say my goodbyes to the Pug tomorrow morning until I see it again in December!

• 2 weeks later...
Did you get the Sun Roof in? Maybe I missed it, but last I recall that was not done and it would seem like something you'd want done before leaving it for 3 months.

Embarrassingly enough, afraid not. My BMW coughed up some electrical problems in the few days before I left.

Unfortunately, that became my focus before I left, and sure enough the sunroof was out of the equation.

In the meantime, I'm trying to remotely help my dad with the installation. He'd probably love some extra hands though in getting it installed.

I also decided on reinstalling the side molding after a nervewracking trip to the shopping center or two before I left - cringed at some people almost clipping their door on the car.

Wow!

Your car is simply beautiful! Well done!

Thank you! It feels great to have my pride and joy appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

With the the rarity of finding them, and the crazy prices to ship a set here, I think I'm going to play around with cutting up the the North American spec ones to see if they can be chopped and channelled a little so that they look like the Euro ones. Collapse the bumper struts or make new brackets to suck them up to the body and I think it'd look pretty darn close.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked my trip back home up north for thanksgiving. :D Hoping to spend a little time that week to take care of some Peugeot-related business.

Here's what I'm shooting to accomplish:

• Run by the local body shop that has the correct chrome striping to finish off the side molding, and install them around the car
  • Wire up side markers
  • Replace the sunroof cable
  • Install the Sunroof cassette seal
  • Wrap up the sunroof thang
  • Get the vinyl paint protection done up on the rear quarter panel below the spoiler
  • Run by my relatives' house and pick up my new car cover so it can go back outside during the rainy season

Crazy to think it's already been over 5 weeks since I last saw the car. What's even crazier is my scheudle this fall quarter (until Winter holiday). Interning 8-10 hrs/week, training with my crew team 18 hrs/week, school 5 days/week, and fun-time during Saturdays so I don't loose my mind (completely). :P

Needless to say, the trip back home to see the family, old friends, and drive the Peugeot are going to be quite the reward.

Cheers,

Sina

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rob! The 505 Looks gorgeous! Your hard work is top drawer! I've left the Peugeot fold and jumped in head first into BMW world. However, I still follow the forum and love to keep up to date with everyones build threads. Hope you post more pics of the 505 after all the tid bits have been mounted!

Phil!

I assume leaving the fold means no more 505 V6?

And please tell me your headlong fall into BMW land was still in your E28 M5... No one could fault you for keeping that car... :)

Very glad your still keeping tabs and following builds...

Rabin

HEY Rabin!

I sent you some pics and yes sadly i left the Peugeot world for now....but I'd kinda like to own a 405 Mi16 someday. I saw one in La the other day it was black and in PRISTINE condition! I spoke to owner for a good 45 mins about his car and told him all about my history with peugeots. And his history was very similar in terms of how many 505's he'd owned before selling them and later getting the 405 car that he deemed a project car. It is a gorgeous example of an Mi16 I would love to someday own. Truly a pocket rocket.

Thanks. And...Wow! You have one of my dream cars (E93). Have you happened to see that one blue one out of Maryland with the full m bodywork & drivetrain swap?

It looks simply killer on LM's... As we've already gotten a little off-topic, here are a few recent shots of my E30.. Btw - where in Socal are you again?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10396672566/'>10396672566_5eb72b29a1_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/10396672566/'>The free alternative to buying a campus parking pass... by http://www.flickr.com/people/norcal505/'>sina.pour, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/9909313406/'>9909313406_d8bb1f5b5c_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/9909313406/'>First wash in 6 weeks... by http://www.flickr.com/people/norcal505/'>sina.pour, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/9736340464/'>9736340464_e3bd4da55f_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/9736340464/'>en vogue by http://www.flickr.com/people/norcal505/'>sina.pour, on Flickr