Giving a 505 another chance

norcal505

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha sounds like a plan. I think I might be coming home possibly on the weekend of march 22nd-24th for a job interview (if my coach lets me skip practice that Saturday).

If I can't make it home till later in April or May, I'll just arrange something with my dad again. Regardless, this summer let's expect a bbq/drive/work-day in Alameda at our place!

Sina, keep me updated on your return home! Job interview? are you talking for the summer?

Lets see tools & bbq in the summer at your place.......ya we can do that!

@sina -- haven't done the suspension thing on my car yet, still gathering parts...need to carve out some time for my car, it misses me...

andré

Ahh, I feel the pain exactly. I recall when you were getting your suspension parts painted ... pure eye candy. Think I might have to do that.

Sina, keep me updated on your return home! Job interview? are you talking for the summer?

Lets see tools & bbq in the summer at your place.......ya we can do that!

Yup! And that sounds awesome! Judging on how strong the turnout was last summer at our 1st annual meet (for a Peugeot meet), I think that maybe this summer if we were to do it again, we could plan it a little better and possibly bring a work/tech day into the mix.

I'd so love to come down for one of these annual meets. I'd have to make it part of a bigger holiday however, as it'd just be too damn far to drive down just for the day.

Rabin

I'd so love to come down for one of these annual meets. I'd have to make it part of a bigger holiday however, as it'd just be too damn far to drive down just for the day.

Rabin

Hell yeah! I picture it being a road-trip of epic proportions... you already did something similar to pickup August's old 505, right?

I've done many epic drives, the two in 505's were from Charlottesville VA to Regina SK, and then when I drove the 89' back from Hood River WA.

I'm picturing this being a West Coast family vacation / road trip in my restored 86 TD wagon - so definitely won't be this year. Hoping to get all the engine upgrades in place and the rust work done this summer so I can plate it though. :)

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...

Not too wild of an update but the following things have been achieved recently:

• Found a new home for my spare seats (see Jeff & Collin's build thread) :)
  • Got my new pedal covers from Alex in France (Teal Max Lion Sport...will definitely be doing business with him in the future
  • copped a nice Hirschmann electric unit, which will be one of the exterior's finishing touches (in using the word 'finishing' very loosely :D)
  • Also ordering the french yellow h3 bulb conversion as I write this.

I was considering going the HID route on my Peugeot, like I did on my BMW, but I'm firmly decided on making this 505 a period-correct build.

Some of my friends think I'm losing my mind with all these details and such but to me, nothing is cooler than the idea of having a minty fresh 80s european sedan that could have just popped out of 1983.

Drove the car around for a good bit when I was home two weeks ago. Maybe put a good 50 or so miles on her and took a nice little drive up to the San Francisco hills. I think Sam did a good job as usual, and the clutch is functioning pretty well now - however that pesky problem with the tranny popping out of 1st and 3rd is still lingering. I think Rabin may have mentioned that the rod needs to be adjusted or perhaps the bushings... That's a project for the summer without a doubt.

While I'm excited to be making so many parts purchases towards the car, I'm trying to keep them at a minimum (lol) and focus on all the real work that is yet to come this June. Going to be diving into it head first come June 14th.

Also random question: Anyone ever try removing the plaques in the door jambs? I'm really considering painting my jambs. However, the paint on my drivers door and passenger door isn't that bad, and I could probably buff it back it pretty nicely. The problem area is regarding my rear doors' jambs, where the paint is flaking off badly. This was due to 30 years of use, seat belts getting caught in the door, and not to mention - when the accidents happened, metal-metal contact was made on both sides of the car... If anyone recalls, not only was the car rear-ended by that a**hole in May 2011 (the big one), the car also rear ended on the drivers' side rear when some bigger a**hole rear ended me one night when I was parked in Oakland, and hit & run.

Also a photo from my brief visit home week before last

8583778686_1fd55968d1_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Think I might do something similar to this. To those who were alive in 1983, or maybe have a copy of the 1983 or 1984 505 brochure (like myself) - recall that the 505 STI wheels had a polished finish. Since the US-spec inner-spoke decals are virtually unobtainable, I think I may just go ahead and have the inner-spokes done up like this, just in dark grey instead of black, for originality.

IMG_6547.jpg

Decals would be cheap and easy for any vinyl stripe shop company to make up - if fact I thought you mentioned doing just that?

I like the wheel as well, but for my tastes the wheel face would need to be machined after painting so that it looked professional. It looks like that wheel was hand sanded to get the polished look which is OK, but not as nice as that 504 cab in Austrailia that had similar treatment done.

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...

What do you guys think about the windshield molding? Both the front and rear windshields will be coming off. The chrome molding/trim on the rear is totally lost. Anyone know where I can find some? Also, I wanted to bring the matter of proper sealing to attention. As noted before, the only bits of rust on my original California car are due to poor windshield repairs in the past. I want to make sure that it won't occur again this time.

Sina

I've talked this over with my body shop, and my 89' is getting both front and rear windscreens flush mounted with universal flush mouldings instead of the factory style. More modern, less wind noise, and it should just look nicer.

Rabin

inspired by rabin, i went looking for a new windshield here in LA with the idea that i'd have the new one installed and forgo the rubber gasket/spreader trim, instead having the shop install the universal flush molding kit. the guy said they could get the windshield (amber, not green) and the kit sounded like something they could do. i believe the cost was somewhere around US$325 to $350 for the windshield installed, not including the price of the molding kit (which they wouldn't know about until they had the car in for the install). if you are interested, let me know and i can send you the info on the shop.

here's another old windshield thread...

andré

• 2 weeks later...

Windshields are interesting topic and at some point the unfunded project will need the gaskets replaced front and back. I'd be interested in what's avaiable Andre' in what retro kit is out there to use. Interesting for me is the early model 82 I have has the full chrome moulding surround on the windshield and the late 82 unfunded project has the insert chrome crap that no longer exists!

inspired by rabin, i went looking for a new windshield here in LA with the idea that i'd have the new one installed and forgo the rubber gasket/spreader trim, instead having the shop install the universal flush molding kit. the guy said they could get the windshield (amber, not green) and the kit sounded like something they could do. i believe the cost was somewhere around US$325 to $350 for the windshield installed, not including the price of the molding kit (which they wouldn't know about until they had the car in for the install). if you are interested, let me know and i can send you the info on the shop.

here's another old windshield thread...

andré

Yes! You've got my attention now. :) Price sounds on point ~ my rear windshield was replaced only a few years ago, and is OEM Peugeot with the lion logo. Don't know how my father went about finding that shop - I think it was done right before I got my driver's license. Gotta love a fully-working defroster!

I think my front windshield is about due for replacement. Again, a few years ago, my car was vandalized several times in my neighborhood.

Each time it got vandalized, the tires were punctured, but one time, the vandal/asshole(s) used some sort of razor-edged object to scratch up the front windshield. Essentially, they scribbled over the whole windshield with the object, so that whenever it rains/water is poured upon the glass, it the scratches surface and you can't see a thing in front of you....

Windshields are interesting topic and at some point the unfunded project will need the gaskets replaced front and back. I'd be interested in what's avaiable Andre' in what retro kit is out there to use. Interesting for me is the early model 82 I have has the full chrome moulding surround on the windshield and the late 82 unfunded project has the insert chrome crap that no longer exists!

Yep. Mine's got the same gaskets of the chrome-crap variety alright. -_-

~Sina

i know that the US-model 505 windshield is actually glued into place with a bead of adhesive between the steel lip of the windshield opening and the outer rim of the glass (the european windshield mounts differently, it's held in place by the gasket)...so on the US cars, the function of the exterior trim is mostly cosmetic and only slightly functional (a bit of leak prevention, a bit of wind-noise abatement). the earlier cars use the wide metal trim and the later cars use the rubber gasket/metal spreader setup -- the metal spreader is the thing that breaks when you take it out. it sounds like the early/late cutoff here is during the 1982 model year, going by what jeff is saying? anyhow, aside from cosmetics, the main difference (as i understand it) between the metal trim and the gasket/spreader setup is that the metal trim can cause leaks if it is applied too early after the windshield has been glued in (the trim pieces can pierce the still-soft adhesive, causing leaks). so neither setup is ideal...

rabin's idea was to replace the metal trim or gasket/spreader with a modern trim kit, they are off-the-shelf items as automotive glass shops intended to fit a wide variety of cars...there are different widths and profiles available to fit different applications, which is why the glass shop couldn't quote me an exact price for the kit. as rabin pointed out in his thread, using these kits should yield a very nice flush look, similar in appearance to the european windshield setup.

sina, i sent you a message on facebook with the contact info for the glass shop here in LA...it's not too far off the 10 freeway so it's easy to get to if you are passing through LA on the 5 or the 405. the actual price the guy quoted me was US$279, not $300+ as i wrote above (i re-checked my notes just now). but that was at least 1.5 years ago, the price might be higher now.

andré

The change over regarding the trim around vs. in the front windshield gasket is early 82 production. Below is a photo of my past 81 on the left and late 82 on the right. To narrow it down further. My current 82 was built in July 1981 with the full chrome trim and Collin's was built in Febuary 1982 that uses the insert.

Can you see anything else that is diffrent in this photo?

post-57-0-32400400-1368233272_thumb.jpg

rabin's idea was to replace the metal trim or gasket/spreader with a modern trim kit, they are off-the-shelf items as automotive glass shops intended to fit a wide variety of cars...there are different widths and profiles available to fit different applications, which is why the glass shop couldn't quote me an exact price for the kit. as rabin pointed out in his thread, using these kits should yield a very nice flush look, similar in appearance to the european windshield setup.

andré

Just to clarify, my idea is to replace the entire rubber seal completely with an after market solution after the windshields are flush mounted in place. The windscreens are glued in with a softer butyl style adhesive so not structurally like urethane. I'd be tempted to try urethane to try and stiffen the bodyshell up a bit, but if there's too much flex then the windshield will just crack...

I've got to get my butt in gear though - I need the rust work around the windscreen done, and I need to have it stripped to have that done right.

Sina: I'm noticing the passenger tail light with a slight tilt, higher on the outside. Might be enough adjustment in the mounting to correct, but curious if you see it in the trunk alignment too?

Rabin