Giving a 505 another chance

norcal505

"Market Value" is highly over-rated with rare and under-appreciated cars that simply don't have the numbers to satisfy their "valuation" criteria. Insurance companies will very happily use whatever tools they can to prove the lowest $$ they can.

What counts is the value YOU give the car. To protect that value you need to get the car appraised after all the work, and insured for stated value. This way there's no need to prove to anyone what the value of the car is, or leave it to some insurance agent who's job is to pay out as little as possible.

Once it's appraised and insured for stated value the insurance have no choice but to pay out accordingly, and since the amounts are usually pretty small (<$10K) it's actually very affordable in most cases I've seen.

Rabin

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I'm really going to be content this summer when everything's all finished.

All I really want is to have a nice summer/sunny weekend cruiser with this car.

BTW Rabin, any ideas for fixing the silver/chrome on the side molding?

I'm gonna remove all of it off of the car when I visit home next weekend.

I think I might also start working on the reconditioning of the grille.

Sina

8394408316_180494e929_b.jpg

8394408352_aac71554b0_b.jpg

regarding the chrome in the side molding: the chrome strip comes out, you can remove the adhesive residue with an all-purpose cleaner (armorall makes a nice APC for this purpose). you can leave the trim as-is (without chrome strip) or replace the chrome strip with a chrome accent strips that come in a roll from an auto-parts place or an auto body supply place, you just need to match the width of the original chrome strip (i think it's 5/16", but don't rely on my memory!).

btw -- i learned the above information from fernando. :)

andré

regarding the chrome in the side molding: the chrome strip comes out, you can remove the adhesive residue with an all-purpose cleaner (armorall makes a nice APC for this purpose). you can leave the trim as-is (without chrome strip) or replace the chrome strip with a chrome accent strips that come in a roll from an auto-parts place or an auto body supply place, you just need to match the width of the original chrome strip (i think it's 5/16", but don't rely on my memory!).

btw -- i learned the above information from fernando. :)

andré

Sounds like a plan! I think the strip peeled off on one of them a while back, so I'll just remove the remainder, clean em up and paint them.

• 2 weeks later...

When i was home last weekend I got the chance to check up on the car which has been sitting outside since I left it on New years day.

Turn the key, car fires up immediately, but I think the clutch linkage is broken, or may have disconnected, because the pedal goes straight to the floor and does not engage.

We replaced the entire clutch assembly roughly 5 years ago, and replaced the shift linkage about 4 years ago, and had to limp it home in 3rd.

Also, this car still has a problem (IIRC for the last few years) where upon taking off, the gear stick likes to pop out of 1st, and the same thing occasionally happens in 3rd, but never from 2nd, 4th, or reverse..

Recalling all these current issues with car makes me even more impatient for the summer to come :D

Sina

Clutch is hydraulic so look for leaks where the rod from the clutch pedal goes in, or from the slave cylinder on the tranny.

If the shifter is pooping out of 1st and 3rd your linkage needs to be adjusted and the lever throw needs to be unhindered / free to move the proper lengths.

Rabin

but I think the clutch linkage is broken, or may have disconnected, because the pedal goes straight to the floor and does not engage

I'd be surprised if it wasn't either low brake fluid level or the clutch slave cylinder. Over the 40 something years I've had Peugeots, I've had that symptom about 4 times and it's always turned out to be the slave cylinder. It could be anywhere in that hydraulic system from the brake fluid reservoir to the slave. There are some mechanical possibilities such as the push rods from the pedal to the clutch master cylinder or from the slave to the clutch actuating arm, but I bet if you follow the hydraulic system, you'll quickly identify what's failed.

• 2 weeks later...
WTH? No love for me and I posted before Dave!!

Kidding of course - glad it was an easy fix...

Rabin

Haha sorry Rabin! Totally missed it when I flipped to the page. <333 :P

Some semi-OT news: The remaining part of my old grey STI in my parents' garage will be going to Jeff and his son Collin's project car.

So not only will my family love me again, Collin will soon be living in the lap of 1980s luxury when he's able to drive. :D

Sina

Haha sorry Rabin! Totally missed it when I flipped to the page. <333 :P

Some semi-OT news: The remaining part of my old grey STI in my parents' garage will be going to Jeff and his son Collin's project car.

So not only will my family love me again, Collin will soon be living in the lap of 1980s luxury when he's able to drive. :D

Sina

He's are youngest Hipster! LOL

My parents went over today and my mom drove it home! (dad has a broken left foot).

I can't help but feel a little bad knowing that we could have fixed this ourselves and saved some money.

But ultimately, the car had to move, and I'm at school. Feels good to know that I'll be home this summer, getting in some good wrenching time. :D

Sina

Great to hear your 505 is up and moving on it's own. Won't ask how your dad broke his foot but cool your mom can drive a manual 505!

Haha when I was a kid, all of our family cars had manual transmissions! (Bmw e21, volvo 240, and dad's 505 (now mine)

It was also a freak accident, him and I were hiking up in Muir woods around x-mas time when it happened.

Cliffs: don't go hiking after the rains. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Cool old photo I found from back in high school. Anyone who attended the 1st annual west coast peugeot meet would recognize this particular location.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/8467568648/'>8467568648_d145d4c3c4_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norcal505/8467568648/'>My 1983 Peugeot 505 circa 2009 by http://www.flickr.com/people/norcal505/'>sina.pour, on Flickr

Are there any write ups floating around on how to remove a sunroof?

Great photo Sina!

I don't think there has been a detailed thread regarding the removal and re-installation of the sunroof assembly. I have it in one of my service manuals thou, maybe a scan for you when your home next and I rad your trunk for some seats!

Haha sounds like a plan. I think I might be coming home possibly on the weekend of march 22nd-24th for a job interview (if my coach lets me skip practice that Saturday).

If I can't make it home till later in April or May, I'll just arrange something with my dad again. Regardless, this summer let's expect a bbq/drive/work-day in Alameda at our place!

Sunroof is pretty simple once you get that cover off. I've promised to get you a pic of the underside so you can see where the clips are, but haven't gotten out to the garage yet. PM me your e-mail and I'll send it direct from my phone if you like.

Once the cover is off you'll see the brackets that hold the slider stuff onto the panel, and once unbolted the panel itself can be lifted out. It'll be a bit fiddly to reassemble, but just make sure you clean the slides and sliders and relube it all. I personally think some dry lubricant would be best like graphite so it doesn't attract dirt and get all gritty. White lithium grease, or some marine grease might be another option used very sparingly.

Rabin