Giving a 505 another chance

norcal505

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andre - can you post up the contact info for the place in LA that does the rechroming? I've got some euro headlight buckets for my 504 that could use it - and if they actually charge $75 for one I'd likely do it for sure.

oops -- forgot to post this information. the place is here, it's in westminster in orange county just north of huntington beach (about 25 minutes south of where i am). if you decide to send anything there, please let me know if i can help.

also -- i am down for a socal peugeot meet, maybe we can get marc and some of the other guys from the FB group to join in, as well...

andré

Taking her to the CHP station in Berkeley on Monday for the VIN certification.

Already had the brake/lamp inspection, etc..

Welp, ready to be Twice-Salvaged, or should I say, Twice-Savage?

And instead of having them issue me new plates for the second time, I'm going have my original CA "Blue plates" restored to the car.

7860440480_272e640143_b.jpg

Had an "interesting" episode with a ghetto-hood rat at the DMV counter today ..... ok.

Long story short, it seems I cannot reinstate my original CA blue plate that came on the car :(

So it's vanity plate time. Here is what I currently am throwing around as possible plate ideas...anyone have ideas for 7 characters? :D

1) SINA505

2) SSP_505

3) ROUGE83

4) SP_83STI

5) SINA5O5

i looked into this a while back...because our cars aren't old enough (1969 and older), we can't use old plates on our cars (YOM -- year of manufacture program), unless they are vanity plates that you already own. i had wanted to put a period-correct plates on my car, but that isn't possible. for those of you unfamiliar with california license plates, from 1982 until 1986, california used the "sun" design on its license plates:

ca86a-1.jpg

my car doesn't have its original plates, it has the current (plain) design -- in california, the plates generally go with the car. so then i thought, well, i'll just get new vanity plates, then get replica plates made with the same license number but using the sun design....no luck. in the last year or two, our new state attorney general (kamala harris) has cracked down on replica california license plates to the point where you simply can't get them anymore. so now i'm thinking that i'll just get one of the special interest plates, maybe the "whaletail" coastal design.

anyhow, here's my vote:

sina505.jpg

andré

Damn Kamala Harris and everyone who works at the DMV :rolleyes:

I remember a bunch of guys on R3V (my e30 bmw forum) did the whole replica-switcharoo and flaunted those for a while.

I'm sure I could figure one of those out down the line ... but for now a vanity'll do.

I'm gonna order it this week at different local DMV office and then it will probably be ready for pick up in December.

Off to get estimates today!

-S

Damn Kamala Harris and everyone who works at the DMV :rolleyes:

absolutely -- you can't tell me that they don't have anything better to do at the AG's office! :angry:

I'm sure I could figure one of those out down the line ... but for now a vanity'll do.

i'm sure you're right -- i remember reading somewhere that some of the license plate replica places on the internet will still do california license plates, they just don't list them and they won't send them to california addresses. but -- if you don't get them when you re-register the car, you will have to figure out some way to get the month sticker on the replica plate...

andré

Just got back from the Sierras and only have 3 weeks left in the Bay Area.

It looks like I'll be taking the car down to a guy in San Jose who wants to do the paint/rust repair, at some point this week.

I honestly don't think I have the time to get this car painted this week...probably winter break most likely.

But I've heard about a Peugeot North American Owners meet only 10 minutes from my house? :D

If it ends up happening, I'll be more than happy to stop by in my tres-color 505 and I'll bring a few friends who're also into European cars..

-S

The car is being taken down to Silicon Valley this Saturday to the painter/body guy, and I was just reminiscing to a time before I was born.

I found a photograph from my parents' wedding, and took a picture of the car on the same day, just 27 years later. I'd it's aged well, eh?

3337492126_a65278fa1a_b.jpg

Untitled by sina.pour, on Flickr

7944946372_b24e462950_b.jpg

Then and Now by sina.pour, on Flickr

Also to be super period-correct (lol) I tracked down a pair of the exact same license plate frames that were on my 505,

when my father bought it off the showroom floor in July 1983. All of this because I'm secretly nuts.

tumblr_m9xz52AS7S1qaazj2o1_500.jpg

-S

Nice retro pic - but you need to park the E30 behind it as well... That'd be awesome.

Once the car is painted - I'd redo that pic for sure. Actually - when you get married you won't really have a choice on what car to decorate either. :)

As for being nuts - it's no secret. Being on a site like this is just good camouflage since we're all nuts. Love the attention to detail right down to the license frame.

Rabin

Haha - nice catch Rabin! Yeah, since that day, my parents have owned an e21 3er, e38 740i, and now my dad has the e90 3er, and I have the *sexiest of all* e30 :D

Pretty stereotypical Persian family I'd say, what with a bunch of Bimmers and a Peugeot (yikes).

Photo-op will come probably next spring when the car should look the way I want it to, on the exterior - at a minimum.

Wish you could make our 505 meet next weekend in San Fran! Plenty of photos will be taken...

On a side note: just got back from the car wash where I thoroughly washed the engine bay. Looks pretty nice now, sans the fully duct-taped firewall and saggy insulation (gross).

-S

The better picture will be the E90 3 series. Just shows that while the BMW's kept changing the Peugeot just stayed and got upgraded. :)

And yeah - missing the get together next weekend will hurt. Hopefully it becomes a tradition and I can plan to attend it with my car when it's done. Better be lots of pics though - it has the potential to be the biggest Pug meet North America has ever had. lol

Rabin

Holy hola damn. This thread is gold! It's so interesting to read about this and I am quite sure my 15 year old body is shaking from the emotion and the great feeling that this thread brings to me.

By the way, that red 505 is pure sex. Pure passion. I love the red colour, I like the headlights and I love how great it looks on that old picture, pure sex.

Update 9/10/12:

Sooo stoked at the moment. A fellow friend from the Local E30 scene checked my car out this past Saturday, down in the San Jose Area.

He gave me a super-comprehensive estimate and I got to gaze my eyes upon his Complete Alpine Weiss E30 M3 Rebuild he had in the back room :wub:

I am going to:

• Remove the Front & rear bumpers again
  • Remove the Front Air dam & Trunk Spoiler
  • All of the side moulding
  • Grille, Headlights, & Taillights
  • Chrome Outer-window scrapers

He is going to:

• Remove my front & rear windshields
  • Fix all of my Dents (All Four doors, on the roof, RF Fender, Hood, Right A-pillar)
  • Cut/Weld/Patch the only bits of rust on my car (which occur around the Front & rear windshields) - and sand down the surace rust on my sunroof
  • Sand & Prime most of the whole damn car down
  • and what you've all been waiting for ... Spray the car down with Urethane/Clear in 1476 Peugeot Rouge Amaryllis.

My mind was literally blown when I gave him the code "1476", and his computer monitor brought up the paint chip image, and said "for 504 and 505"

All of this is going to be done at a *ridiculous* deal that will be kept on the dl.

This is literally my dream coming true, and can be expected around late November-early December.

I decided against painting this car this summer, as I am moving back to San Diego next weekend and don't want to rust a single thing.

The BMW's flywheel just took a shit (pardon my french) and replacement OEM part is nearly $800 ... so I'm chilling on that one for a while.

I'm either taking this car down next Spring/Summer to sunny socal, or plan on tracking down a nice and cheap 2nd gen 4runner SR5/4wd for practice commute.

I know I've said that this car will not be touched, and left in the garage...but I'm pouring so much damn money into it, that I want to actually enjoy it.

So that's all the update for now. While I'm back for the break this thxgiving,

I'm planning on working with refreshing/recoating some engine parts..like the manifold, etc..

I just ordered some Por 15 for a few projects.

@coolfiat: Thanks lil brah :D. I appreciate it man. Keep on saving & searching for that 505!

-Sina

• 2 weeks later...

This is the last time any of you guys are going to see this car in such a state of despair (at least aesthetically) :D .

[photo from the Peugeot North America meet last weekend]

8003720369_fa5340b169_b.jpg

Old vs Older by sina.pour, on Flickr

I'm putting it away this afternoon for the next 2 months while I move back down to Southern California.

I'll try to remember to snap some pics of it with my iphone when I roll it into the paint shop in early December, so stay tuned.

Here's a teaser of the new (original) color, and I'm going to be slowly reconditioning trim and plastic bits whenever I have time on lazy Sundays.

IMGP3309.JPG

ma504.jpg

I think it's a cool color, and definitely is unique in different shades of light.

rood.jpg

p1000348smallsv0.jpg

-S

• 2 months later...

The car is leaking oil like a mofo and the front & rear passenger side carpets are soaking wet.

Planning on ordering a new sunroof seal and taking the $90 hit from Miles at Western Hemispheres over break..

Gonna take it off the mind for the next few weeks so I can focus on studying before finals in three weeks.

In the meanwhile, here are the last photos anyone will see of the car before she gets stripped down.

8207150819_2c6c1d4af1_b.jpg

That'll do by sina.pour, on Flickr

8207146997_770de4f0ef_b.jpg

mon plaisir by sina.pour, on Flickr

8207143051_39ae7a533c_b.jpg

chillin BRAH by sina.pour, on Flickr

8208230204_3b8d6a87c7_b.jpg

last side-shot before paint by sina.pour, on Flickr

8207136545_e7f2efbcbd_b.jpg

Paritial-hoon, by sina.pour, on Flickr

8208225612_f284c079c9_b.jpg

full hoonage by sina.pour, on Flickr

8207131345_71618ff4eb_b.jpg

peugeot lyfe by sina.pour, on Flickr

8207124067_1a9735fda8_b.jpg

sèche pas by sina.pour, on Flickr

8207120389_4195422788_b.jpg

Rally de Alameda by sina.pour, on Flickr

8207114415_41a0664820_b.jpg

french, japanese by sina.pour, on Flickr

Sina

Ensuring the PCV screens are nice and clean will usually keep the engine pretty leak free. If you get the chance to do a valve adjustment you can replace the valve cover as well which is the other usual culprit.

Studies first though - car isn't going anywhere and stripping for paint will go much faster than you think.

Great pics too - it's good to enjoy the car and have some fun!

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...

Today I pinpointed the drains on the right side of the car. The passenger c-pillar cover is off, so it was already exposed.

I also popped off the passenger side front speaker cover and uncovered that as well. now, I'm gonna have to figure out how to unclog them.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking: take apart an old coat hanger, straighten it out and up the pipes, or maybe a bike pump, to blow all the shit out?

Sina

I would pull them out and pressure wash the carpets at the car wash, and use some mold control spray to ensure they were mold free. The insulation underneath the carpet however I think will need to get tossed since you can't pressure wash it, and it usually disintegrates.

If the carpet pile is worn out, then you might want to consider putting new carpet in, or at least finding another carpet set to fit it with. If the insulation is toast - I'd use them as paterns and replace with foam rubber carpet padding unless you want to drop the coin for dynamat.

I've pressure washed 3 sets of carpet now and I'm amazed at how nice they come out. 100x better than steam cleaning, and if the pile is in good condition they end up looking new.

Rabin

I'm gonna look into pressure washing.

By the way, thought I'd add that we tested the drains on the right side of the car...

They actually appear to be flowing properly. When I pointed a water bottle straight down upon the roof at one of the tears in the gasket, the water sprayed directly down onto the side of the seat....bingo!

Looks like the drains were alright all along, and it's simply the torn-up gasket that was to blame.

Going to ordering a new gasket from Miles on Monday.

In the meantime, and probably until the spring, I will be duct-taping the sunroof lines shut.

Sina

• 3 weeks later...

Well at last the case with the insurance is over. Conceded at a low amount ($1.5k) and that went straight towards paying off the monthly tuition statement. It had got to the point where it was similar to beating a dead horse, as the car had already been salvaged 8 years prior due my father's unfamiliarity at the time. Also, it took me a while to come to grips with the reality that our cars aren't worth much in today's market, as there simply really isn't a market to begin with. [Most] of these cars go for dirt cheap these days, and while that is the case, I don't think it really matters to us lovers of the car, and we'll continue to enjoy the car like we did when they were new. The car will still hopefully get painted this summer, but the sunroof is going to need some attention which probably isn't going to be very pretty $$$ wise. My paint/body man is a nice guy though, and pretty chill though and is fine with me taking the extra time till summer.

I was just going through some old photos earlier, and it brought back the itch to get the car done over the summer. Just picturing the car all beautiful again for some nice summer cruising with the sunroof back is nuts. I'm some extra change aside every month just to make sure it'll happen. Here's a photo from a high school. Probably also the last time the car was washed (right after the accident). Can't believe its been two years now since the accident, I really miss being able to cruise around in the car the way it was. It's going to be better this time though, hopefully the new paint, trim, etc will have it looking like it did on day one. Keep in mind the current paint job was done in the late 1990s, and isn't even the original Claret Metallic. :D

6746998427_893a2a43f8_b.jpg

Bordeaux by sina.pour, on Flickr