New experience

d00zer

Since I have moved to Stockholm I haven't access to working with my project cars, but I have meet some new friends that invited me to work with them and there racing cars.

First car that I have been working with is a Volvo S60, this car compete in a racing event named Mellan Svenskan Långlopps Serie (msls homepage).

MSLS is a endurance race and each race is 8 hours long, there are 6 classes and the Volvo S60 is in class 6 (= turbo charged engines).

The car have a T5 engine, turbo charged 5 cylinder. It's also equipped with Nira i3 engine mangement system, Öhlins coilovers and Brembo calipers/discs.

Engine is around 300Hp (estimated).

The 2 latest race have been going great, compare to last season. The engine had some overheating issues and it resuled in cracked cylinder heads.

But a new thermostat (opens at 65 degrees celcius) and running the radiator fan at all time solved the issue.

post-226-0-20910900-1341050396_thumb.jpg

The second car that I have been working with is a Mazda 323, this is also a endurance race but for 24 hours. The rules is simple, the car must not cost more than $680 and

after 24 hours the car is scrapped. It's two races per year, in March and October. The race is called Skrotbilsrejset ( = scrap car race).

Here is the car that we raced with during the race in March 2012:

post-226-0-63437900-1341051151_thumb.jpg

The car interior is stripped, racing seats and racing harness is installed. We also installed a catch tank for the fuel, when running low on fuel it sucks air in the corners.

We can't modify with to expensive parts, cause we only got 1 hour to take out the parts after the race finnish.

In March we had some issues during the 24 hour race. One snapped suspension strut, battery charing during the night and a blown end muffler. 1 hour left during the race this

. The radiator cracks and start to leaking and ends up with a blown cylinder head and we coulden't finnish the race, 1 hour left on a 24 hour race! :)