Site issues - apologies for the downtime

Bean

Hi guys,

There was a settings issue in the forum software that was causing the "server busy" errors. Support figured it out and August made the correction last night. I'm still working on a plan to upgrade the forum software as well as update the site with Invision Power Content, and then with their gallery.

So stay tuned - hopefully I can get on top of the learning curve nice and quick as these outages SUCK! I really miss the site when it's not accessible, and the data and info is to valuable to risk losing.

Most important though is that I consider you all friends - so not getting to share stories and info with this whole community is the biggest driver for keeping this site updated.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

i'm grateful for everything you guys have done to keep the site going. however, as of the last few days, i have a new problem. not catastrophic, but annoying.

whenever i write a post (either a new post/thread or a reply to an existing post) the interface i get with which to reply is greatly simplified -- i no longer have the graphic portion of the interface that i can click on to insert the html code to bold/italicize/underline/etc. or to insert a graphic link or web link. i can still put those things in by hand, of course.

also, in the upper right hand corner of the screen, where the profile menu drops down (my profile/my settings/etc.), the dropdown menu is there all the time, not just when i click on the triangle. it never goes away. lots of other little weird things, too, like my new message count never changes unless i manually mark new messages as "read."

i thought this was just a problem for me b/c i use a mac (some sort of java problem, maybe?) -- i though maybe the updates to the site broke mac compatibility. however, yesterday i had the opportunity to check out the site on a windows computer and it looked the same. has anyone else experienced these problems?

andré

Yup - I've been noticing that same behavior as well, but no time to investigate as of yet since they're annoyances rather than impeding functionality.

*edit: August downloaded the latest upgrade for the forum, and looks like he installed it already! I took a quick look and will see if there are any fixes for the profile menu that won't go away, as well as why the post options are gone.

Thanks for posting this though - Initially I thought it was just me or my computer settings. Once I checked it out and saw the upgraded version I realized the upgrade is likely the issue.

I did find the spot to change the header image though... :D

Rabin

IPB support found and fixed the issues - so it should be all good now. (If not - cntl-F5 to refresh should do it)

If any other quirks show up, please let me know.

Rabin

BTW - moved this to feedback as it seemed a better fit.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

Can you be more specific on how you got the link? How were you navigating to the site? Where did you get it? etc etc. If it was a redirect to another site that's one thing, but not sure what you mean by or how you got the "your computer is infected" message.

Rabin

When we did redirected the site address to the forum I forgot to update Google's webtools which monitors the site for any malware or anything. The site was basically not set up, so I corrected that and ran their tool set and the site comes up clean. If you continue to get any errors or warnings please e-mail me direct at [email protected]

Thanks!

Rabin

I am not sure, I think it was a redirect that opened up a window that looked as though it was a legitimate virus scan that had found 4 trojans. I killed the window of course. Will pay closer attention next time.

Hi Mike,

I rechecked with Google Webtools which is configured to monitor the site for redirects and malware, I checked with Norton Web safe, and with McAfee Web Advisor. All three say the site is clean.

Can I ask you to clear your browser cache and delete any links or bookmarks and retry the site by typing the address in manually?

When this happened before Webtools found it right away, and the site was blacklisted immediately until it was fixed. It's coming up clean on three different tools, and I've never had an issue so I can't even address anything at this point.

A possibility is that a redirect was stored in your cache and when you use a bookmark, or access the page it's pulling the address out of the browser cache instead of pulling it direct...

Rabin

I've done some checking by googling the info Bobby sent me and it looks like this is quite a common problem, but is most likely occurring from something on the users computer.

I have used malwarebytes myself to clean my own computers, so I would recommend it to anyone wanting to ensure their computer is clean.

Malwarebytes download link

Rabin

I've done some checking by googling the info Bobby sent me and it looks like this is quite a common problem, but is most likely occurring from something on the users computer.

I have used malwarebytes myself to clean my own computers, so I would recommend it to anyone wanting to ensure their computer is clean.

Malwarebytes download link

Webmaster

• 3 weeks later...

the post

I had another redirect today to some site that wanted me to see some Emma Watson video, I had just typed the above-noted post and was in the process of editing it when the redirect occurred. This is the only site this ever happens to me at.....

Hi Mike,

At the very bottom of the site there's a link to delete my cookies - can you try that?

I've got three different website checkers on the site to ensure malicious redirects notify me asap, the IPB software should be secure, and we removed the main site entirely which was the issue previously since it wasn't very secure against that particular attack.

I'll keep looking - but so far there's only yourself that reports a redirect happening. I have one other person that insists his symantec warns him this site isn't safe, but the symantec website checker says it's fine...

If anyone else has this happen - please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

Rabin

Done, as I did a couple of weeks back. The redirect may have occurred yesterday when I did an inadvertant double click while editing. The site I was redirected to had a "are you sure you really want to leave this webpage" box up so of course I shut Explorer down using Ctrl-Alt-Del.

• 2 months later...

Still weird - not of the services monitoring the site report anything - and so far it's just affect you as I don't get anyone else complaining of the re-direct.

If anyone else can verify the same issue, then it would be easier to hunt down. But so far I don't get anything. Google, Firefox, and even IE are very quick to label the site if there is an active redirect - but none of the tools that alert me what the site does has reported anything.

Rabin

BTW - I really do need very specific info when it happens. The URL that you were on, page it re-directs you too, screen print of the error, date and time etc etc. Makes hunting something like this down way easier with very specific info.

Without specifics, it's the automotive equivalent of telling a mechanic "My car made a funny noise." :)

Rabin

Alt-prtsc will capture the active window - then you can cntl-V (paste) into an e-mail or a word document. Email it to me if it's an attachment if you like.

Rabin