Movies of the nearing death of my old 205

brownie

My little brother got my old 205, but because he's only 16 and in Holland we're not allowed driving before we are 18, he uses it only on the farm of my father. I hope he won't drive on the road like this when he's 18! Surely this car won't survive another 2 years.

Road edition:

http://www.jochemgratama.nl/download/wunderbar%201.wmv

Off-road edition:

http://www.jochemgratama.nl/download/wunderbar%202.wmv

In the first one is more of a memorial to his old car that is already dead.

In the second he is really rough using the car as a plough you could say.

hahaha that's great.

you guys are lucky you have a place to drive crazy and go nuts. in america lots of kids buy 300hp subaru WRX STi's and EVO 8's and try to learn what your brother is doing on the public streets. it usually doesn't end very well :(

Well, in Holland there are also streetraces. They are officially forbidden off course. But Holland is a strange country in many ways. When you call the police and tell them were you want to have race and what date and time, you have a change that they come and close the road for you. Off course not in the middle of the city, but some roads at the end of industry areas are used for this purpose, but only on sunday when there is now traffic in that area.

It's a bit like soft drugs. Everybody in the whole world thinks it is legal in Holland. Wrong, it is forbidden. There are a few exceptions though: You may not carry it on the public road, unless it's less than 5 gram. You may buy it, but you may not sell it, unless you have a cafe were no alcohol is sold and that you call coffeeshop, but never more than 5 gram per person. You may not use it, unless you're in a coffeeshop or at home. You may not have the plants at your home, unless you have less than 5.

greetz,

Bram

Well, in Holland there are also streetraces. They are officially forbidden off course. But Holland is a strange country in many ways. When you call the police and tell them were you want to have race and what date and time, you have a change that they come and close the road for you. Off course not in the middle of the city, but some roads at the end of industry areas are used for this purpose, but only on sunday when there is now traffic in that area.

interesting! if you asked cops here in the US about doing that you would get hung up on. :(

interesting! if you asked cops here in the US about doing that you would get hung up on. :(

In Holland we call it "gedoogbeleid", this means something as tolerant management. Of course we have rules and laws in our countries, but for some laws there are no penalties, so in fact you don't have to follow them. When it gets out of hand, the government makes new rules how to interpret these laws.

It's difficult to explain in English for me, but Holland seems to be the only country that works like this. Sometimes it is a bit confusing, but it works very well overall.

and America = land of the free. ? ? HAHA what a joke that is.

It'd be nice to live in a place that works like Holland as you've described. ppl are going to street race, so why not make it safe and make it work instead of putting ppl in jail, taking their cars, suspending their licenses. It's not a matter of who did it but who got caught. It seems like a more intelligent, humanistic approach that is taken elsewhere. The same trend can be applied to so many other things here in the wonderful U S of A :-/

• 1 year later...

Hahaha!!!

Oh my god!!

I LOVE THE DUTCH!!!

God, if only the cops were like that in America.

Take this for instance...

Near my house (an upperclass housing community), there is this buisness park, with these hella long roads. At night, (about 11 pm), there are big crowds where they have street racing runs.

THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN!!

When the cops bust it, its not fun anymore...:(

BTW,

2 weeks ago, on a friday night, I took my 505 out to a run. Suprisingly, I beat a stock early 90's Honda Accord, a late 80's BMW 318ic, and a early 80's volvo 240 sedan.

ha, it was fun. I should get some of my friends to video tape my 505, but they laugh when i bring it up to the runs. They all have really modified integras, civics, and rsx's, I have an old extreemly heavy french car. :)-

Hahaha!!!

Oh my god!!

I LOVE THE DUTCH!!!

God, if only the cops were like that in America.

Take this for instance...

Near my house (an upperclass housing community), there is this buisness park, with these hella long roads. At night, (about 11 pm), there are big crowds where they have street racing runs.

THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN!!

When the cops bust it, its not fun anymore...:(

In Holland we always say, 'a cop is your best friend'. And that is the case, if you obey the law.

I have to say, for these semi-legal streetraces, the police won't agree if you want to do it each week. A few times per year is possible on certain locations and if you prepare it well. So make sure the public is not standing on the track and you have a first aid team present at the track and the cars have to be road legal, the drivers need to have a license etc.

But that's worth the effort!

If you organize a race without discussing it with the police, they are not nice at all. They don't take your license or car immediately, but it's quite sure the drivers will spent the rest of the night in jail.

In sweden we have the same thing as in Holland, we call it "blackrace" here.

I think that the terms are pretty much those brownie mentioned.

I've never been to one myself though :(

I think it's great that it's possible to have these kind of events.

I'm totally against streetracing. Stupid and dangerous, period.

On the other hand, I can understand why it's happens when there are no legal alternatives.

I don't think that any sane person would prefer streetraces if there was legal, well organized alternatives available.

In sweden we have the same thing as in Holland, we call it "blackrace" here.

I think that the terms are pretty much those brownie mentioned.

I've never been to one myself though :)

I think it's great that it's possible to have these kind of events.

I'm totally against streetracing. Stupid and dangerous, period.

On the other hand, I can understand why it's happens when there are no legal alternatives.

I don't think that any sane person would prefer streetraces if there was legal, well organized alternatives available.

BTW...Johnny...

Are there any volvos at the steetraces in sweden?? :(:D