wiring of seat heating

wabo505

hello wabo, i am also interested in this topic as i have a 505 that came without heated seats, and i have obtained seats from a turbo model that have the heating elements -- so i will be wiring these seats into my car at some point, just as you are doing now.

btw, i love your illustration, it's very clear!

anyway, here is a picture from the electrical manual (shown is seat heater wiring for the 1985 505T):

IMG_7639.jpg

as you can see in this detail, the OE seat heating elements are designed to be wired in series. i think that this is because the seat bottom element contains a thermostat, and if the elements were wired in parallel, the seat back element would stay on all the time (that the switch was on) and possibly get uncomfortably hot:

IMG_7639b.jpg

i'm not sure why your elements are not functioning as you desire, are they elements from another 505, or are they aftermarket or from another car? if they are not OE peugeot items, they may be designed to be wired differently...

hope this helps.

andré

it occurs to me, wabo, that the wiring diagram (above) gives an operating range for the temperature...since you now have a rough idea of how hot the elements should get (22 - 39 degrees C), you can test your heating elements with a thermometer to see if they are performing to spec...

andré

hope this helps.

hello André, thank you very much. This is exactly what I needed. My heating elements are original, but without the original plugs. I didn't removed it by myself from an old car. When I read your diagram, I see that the thermostat is integrated in the seat heater element. I never noticed that and now it is covered by the leather B) Is there a possibility to adjust?

sincerely, Walter

I recall from the Peugeot List that someone had decent luck bypassing the thermostat and using the heaters manually, providing, of course, that they are not working.

After bypass, the location and prominence of the switch makes it less likely that they will be left on inadvertently.

I have a few sets of elements that I salvaged from my old cars.

I recall seeing "Made in Sweden" on the Peugeot ones. I don't know who introduced them, but it might have been Saab.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to test them. Continuity would be the first test.

It is probably be a good idea not to put your knee on the seat like when you are reaching for something or during hanky-panky.

-Bill

walter -- the thermostat is built into the heating element that goes into the seat bottom...to bypass the thermostat, you will have to "perform surgery" on that element to get to the thermostat element. i am sure it is possible to do this -- like bill, i seem to remember reading about someone doing this -- but it will doubtless require much electrical skill and patience. i tried to find some reference to someone doing this but couldn't find anything.

if you do a search, you will find a link referring to a "seat heater hack" but the reference it points to is a dead link...i don't know if this "hack" refers to the heating coils or the thermostat...koll (n9te) may know more about this...

this sort of electrical "surgery," if done properly, should be okay but it certainly has the potential to go badly! if it was me, i would seriously consider aftermarket heating elements as koll suggests...

bill ---

me -- looking up from computer -- "hey honey -- bill from the forum says no sex in the peugeot!"

wife -- from the other room -- "in that thing? eww....not a problem!"

:D

Hi Brownie, nice to meet you here ( We live only 100 miles away from each other and I met Brownie on two 505-meetings!)

Hi Bill, I installed a prohibition sign in my car: No hanky-panky on this frontseats :blink: We laughed a lot. Thanks!

Hi André, thank you for your proposition, I am a dental surgeon and quite confident that the electrical surgery will be a success!

byebye, Walter